Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 PlacementBetaBLK360Blur TooleBlastsNewsletter

MP Betas>360Placement, Face Blurring, BLK3607051

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

In the Matterport Newsletter today (Thursday, 17 May 2017), Matterport discusses three Beta programs:

360 Placement – "This will allow you to connect 360 Views (exterior or unconnected scan positions) to your 3D walkthrough experience. This will allow the end-user to seamlessly navigate through a property, both inside and out, without having to use the Highlight reel," says the Newsletter.

Face Blurring - "automatically detect faces and blur them. This helps address privacy concerns when needed. This is not reversible, so you may want to experiment with a copy of a job before using for production work," says the Newsletter.

BLK360 - "We are continuing evolve our integration with Leica to make it faster and easier for BLK360 users to capture and promote spaces quickly and efficiently on the Matterport platform," says the newsletter.

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
VirtualView private msg quote post Address this user
The face blurring is a really nice feature when you can’t get around people. The things to note about it is that it appears to take significantly more time for a space to process. It will also blur faces from posters and things that resemble faces such as dummies. Otherwise it’s a really nice step in the right direction.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@VirtualView I agree with you.

BUT WHY NOT RATHER SPEND THE TIME AND RESOURCES TO ALLOW US TO BE ABLE TO EDIT THE CAMERA OUT OF MIRRORS.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Been asking for this now for 3 years ... please Matterport listen to us.

We do not care about peoples faces.
Post 3 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like they are doing everything but presenting a solution to the two of the most requested (and needed) features:

Ability to EASILY back up scans to a desktop or cloud.

Ability to download and/or present models offline on a laptop.
Post 4 IP   flag post
erikolsonmba private msg quote post Address this user
These seem to be "shiny objects" updates to attract new users and features to please Google.

When it looks like a company is creating changes to please a giant, it makes me wonder about positioning for an acquisition?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Bernardhhi private msg quote post Address this user
I believe these all to be great updates and I'm always glad to see continued improvements - Very happy to see that we can now navigate to and from 360 panoramas. I just reuploaded a tour to test this function. The face blurring could definitely prove helpful as our MLS rules do not allow any images with recognizable people. (I always try to time outdoor scans to avoid/minimize capturing people). Hopefully, Matterport is working on using the same blurring technology to remove the camera from mirrors in a future update.

Enjoy a great weekend y'all
Post 6 IP   flag post
VirtualView private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe the next step will be to blur the camera since blurring faces seemed to happen rather quickly after the investment in AI. Otherwise, they just love the free promotions of their cameras.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I asked the question regarding blurring cameras and got a very encouraging response from [redacted] at Matterport

Hey Bernie - it's on the product roadmap but face blurring is first. We have to teach our vision pipeline how to recognize objects first - and we're starting with faces. Once it's figured that out - we'll be able to move on to other objects (like licence plates or cameras). Again, this is a beta so there's load more work and timing depends on a lot of factors but we're working on it. Thanks for asking!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@Bernardhhi Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardhhi
I asked the question regarding blurring cameras and got a very encouraging response from [redacted] at Matterport

Hey Bernie - it's on the product roadmap but face blurring is first. We have to teach our vision pipeline how to recognize objects first - and we're starting with faces. Once it's figured that out - we'll be able to move on to other objects (like license plates or cameras). Again, this is a beta so there's load more work and timing depends on a lot of factors but we're working on it. Thanks for asking!

That is all BS!!! Chris made a proof of concept that removed the camera from the mirror. Blurred looks totally crap. This is one of the main reasons the hotel industry don't like Matterport as they don't want the camera in the mirror.

There is another solution for real estate, just make a big correx board with either the agencies logo or agents details. Stick that in the mirror.

One its extra branding for the agency.
Stops other [redacted] agents stealing the tour.
Gives the client some form of assurance that you won't duplicate the tour and sell it on.
And lastly gets the black box out of the mirror. Yes, it is primitive. But after asking for this for three years we now have to look at a plan.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gerhard

BS or not, I’m optimistic that now Matterport have introduced the face blurring feature - camera reflection removal will not be too far away. In the meantime, maybe it’s Matterport’s desire to have their ‘product placement’ in as many tours as possible.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@VirtualView
@Gerhard
@immersivespaces
@erikolsonmba
@Bernardhhi

A related WGAN Forum discussion:

Matterport Face Blurring (Beta) versus CUPIX Blurring: Which do you prefer?

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Dan

Hopefully Matterport will listen to the feedback here. Also encourage all those that have not already done so write direct to Matterport with feedback and feature requests
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
What you must realize is that within Matterport there are different product teams.

360 Placements was implemented by the team working on Capture -- another team will be responsible for adding the ability to edit in Workshop.

Face Blurring was implemented by the team on the processing side.

BLK 360 was implemented by the same product manager who worked on the development of the Pro-2.

The changes to the my.matterport.com UI including the ability to quickly change the snapshot labels were handled by the my.matterport.com team. They have quite a few other little things in the pipeline and several things that were sidelined due to the collapse of the TOS changes.

The SDK and Showcase 3 are handled by another team. They are largely focused on resolving bugs and optimizing the platform at every corner. The restructure and rebuilding of Showcase from the ground up allowed for a proper SDK to be created as an infrastructure that will continue to grow with features over time.

Separate teams within Matterport working on separate features.

Presently, the inability to edit the panoramic images is being touted as a feature and leveraged by Matterport in their entry into the insurance industry as the platform is authentic 'Reality Capture' -- no edits, verified reality capture. It's actually a selling angle if you want to go that way. I'd love for Matterport to have a separate branding for customized content if you will. It becomes a new product.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
That is all BS!!! Chris made a proof of concept that removed the camera from the mirror. Blurred looks totally crap. This is one of the main reasons the hotel industry don't like Matterport as they don't want the camera in the mirror.

Matterport's chosen path seems to be to champion reality capture and to keep things simple by not opening up the platform to tedious editing.

I'm not the biggest fan, but out of over 1,000 spaces, only a few spaces required that we suck it up and take a camera selfie. Otherwise, we moved objects to obstruct the camera in the mirror, lowered the tripod, or just creatively positioned the tripod.

If I had the choice, I'd develop a new product called the 'Matterport Showcase for Creators'. The platform would require an additional monthly payment and would be home to many tools including the ability to download and upload cube faces, white labelling, and a bevvy of SDK-based add ons that are created by developers -- like me! Maybe not something big like mpembed.com, but snippets that are designed to work with a general structure that Matterport provides.

Just my 2c.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360

Thanks for your 2Cents - you make some great points and provide us an insight as to how Matterport are developing the product. I love your idea of a Matterport Show Case for Creators - opening up the platform to creative folk like you will only make a great tool even better
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Wrong Matterport Product Team implemented Face Blurring.

Nice that they took the initiative. Right idea. Wrong implementation.

This needs to be a Matterport Workshop feature: not a Matterport Capture feature.

CUPIX nailed it. Matterport should follow their lead.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
101421 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?