Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ArtMatterport WorkshopTrim

How the Window Trim Tool Saved My Life6884

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

No Window Trimming

With Window Trimming

--

Hi All,

I may be exaggerating a bit, by the Matterport Window Trim Tool in Matterport Workshop saved my life.

Above are the identical Matterport 3D Tours:

✓ without using the window trim tool to mark the boundaries of the walls
✓ with using the window trim tool to mark the boundaries of the walls

I could imagine that because the "walls" are not floor to ceiling that the processing of the models allow you to walk through the walls (in the top 3D Tour).

Using the Matterport Window Trim Tool to mark the "walls" fixed that. (Hint: you can not walk through a window)

(Thanks to @Metroplex360 for reminding me to do that!)

How have you used the trim tools in an unexpected way?

Best,

Dan

P.S. BTW, since I used WP3D Models to share the original link with the Client, I simply substituted the model and did not have to ask the Client to "swap-out" the link that they are sharing ...
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

No Window Trim

Window Trim to mark walls

Hi All,

Here are screen grabs from my iPad to show with - and without - the use of the Matterport Window Trim Tool to mark the walls.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Liam_Tayler private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

I also had some significant issues with a scan I did with very narrow corridors, but the client wanted to go into each room, which meant leaving each door open enough to join the scan or the corridor with the scan of the room together. [redacted] from Matterport showed me how to 'trim' the partially open doors, so that they could be manoeuvred around. A very similar issue to the one you had here.

Yours,

Liam
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Liam_Tayler

Cool! Can you share a screen grab from your model? Ideally, engage the section with a door jam example.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
That's a pretty nice VR arcade. Thanks for sharing it. I do have a question about the mattertags proliferation though. It's hard for a user to make sense of the dozen hotposts displayed on the wall. What's a best practice that may lead to a better user experience in situations like this?

Post 5 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini ...That's sounds like an entrepreneur's gears in motion here. A client I worked for suggested making a variety of small but creative signs that could be affixed to the walls or furnishing. One option is to have small, mountable white boards with magnetic letters to spell out the signage. I plan on trying it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab of this earlier version of the Space using MP Embed from @Metroplex360

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tosolini
about the mattertags proliferation though. It's hard for a user to make sense of the dozen hotposts displayed on the wall.

The chalkboard wall is usually filled with comments/graffiti by guests. That inspired me to do graffiti with the Mattertags. I would actually like to put more up.

In this use case, I felt that it was okay to break the rules of aesthetics by adding many MatterTags are various lengths. The colors are by category, but that's not obvious.

I do plan to use MP Embed to enhance the Matterport Showcase - a new tool from @Metroplex360 - if/when it works seamlessly with WP3D Models. The tools has a nice info box and mini-map. Here's an early test using MP Embed: Example Using an Early version of the above 3D Tour with an Index of Mattertags and a Mini-Map

@Tosolini Would you prefer to see two MatterTags in each "booth" for the game examples instead of putting them all on the back wall? I could save the back wall for pricing packages.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod I'm not sure what's the best solution to make lots of tags fit. Baking the labels in the image (through drawing / post-it notes) is one way (as suggested by @Shakoure).

The absence of labels on tags invites the user to discover what they are, but there is only so much exploration that we can ask users to do before they move on. Customizable tags might be another way. Today we can only choose a color, tomorrow we might be able to choose a shape. Yet, shapes would have to be explained somewhere.

Maybe the middle ground is to use less tags that contain a table of content with multiple links. Something to experiment.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101636 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?