Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Apartments.comBusiness PlanCoStar

Apartments.com + Matterport =31,000 3D Tours678

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like this news might make a great discussion topic for us ...

Press Release
(15 September 2015) Apartments.com + Matterport=30,000+ 3D Tours]Apartments.com, Matterport Partner to Provide Suite Users With Over 30,000 Virtual Tours of Rental Properties

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
GREAT! This is amazing and fantastic news that will help the other rental property websites that are presently "Matterport Deniers" (Airbnb, TripAdvisor, VRBO etc etc) finally come into the fold.
My big question for DanS is...WHO the heck is doing the 1000 scans per week?! I had previously scoped more than 2500 Rent.com listings in my area that I did and do have every intention of doing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Max_Sodomovskiy private msg quote post Address this user
Why can not I open their website? Share a link to at least one tour!
Post 3 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like they have already done the scans. We can use this as a great marketing tool, but I was hoping to get involved with the scanning of the apartments.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I thought that number seemed very high as well.

Is anyone here doing jobs for them? Please comment
Post 5 IP   flag post
Andrew private msg quote post Address this user
Max, use VPN to get it. It seems Apartments.com blocked in Russia.
Post 6 IP   flag post
CubiCasa private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one example I found: http://www.apartments.com/stanford-villa-apartments-palo-alto-ca/5ezwzbq/
Post 7 IP   flag post
Max_Sodomovskiy private msg quote post Address this user
This, at least correctly by MP, if some of you in the USA was not involved in the scan. Where is the competition? For the rest of the world is certainly a big help.
Post 8 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest client is a competitor to apartments.com. I have scanned over 100 apartments in our area and apartments.com just did their first about 2 weeks ago. They did not come to me for the scan though so I am thinking they are providing them in house. Anyone who knows different I would be interested to hear from.
Post 9 IP   flag post
vrealstudio private msg quote post Address this user
I've visited in apartments.com by proxy, but I cannot open 3D showcase on website. Can you open 3D showcase on there? And Anybody we-get-around members who participated in apartment.com for 3D capture? And anybody who knows apartment.com take a 3D capture free or charging?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
How'd they pull this off?!

I just checked for apartments near me in Long Beach, CA, and found a whole slew of them with 3D Showcases.

For example:

http://www.apartments.com/beverly-plaza-apartments-long-beach-ca/bkyl3b9/

I don't know of any other Matterporters in town here, and only a few others in the Los Angeles/Orange County region. Did Matterport just send cameras to the management companies to do?

I wonder the same about Redfin. Who is doing the scans? The Redfin listing agents? Does Redfin send them a camera to do the scans with and then they send it back after they are done?

There are definitely Redfin listings with Matterport 3D Showcases in them in my town, too. While I wish Redfin was contracting those scans out to me, it's actually pretty helpful to use to convince agents that they need to keep up with Redfin.

Craig
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @craigsauer

I wonder the same about Redfin. Who is doing the scans? The Redfin listing agents? Does Redfin send them a camera to do the scans with and then they send it back after they are done?

There are definitely Redfin listings with Matterport 3D Showcases in them in my town, too. While I wish Redfin was contracting those scans out to me, it's actually pretty helpful to use to convince agents that they need to keep up with Redfin.

Craig

Redfin has reached out to our Referral Network in markets that they (presently) do not have cameras. And, we have referred them to our Referral Network map ...

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, that's good to know about Redfin using the Referral Network.

Dan, do you know how Apartments.com did their scans? I'm just baffled by the scale of this!

Craig
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@craigsauer

Kudos to Apartments.com for keeping it under the radar for so long to have a 'big bang' announcing 31,000. This will be a wake-up call for their competitors. I imagine that Apartments.com has the cameras.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Andrew private msg quote post Address this user
I spoke with Matterport on this topic. Apartments.com used their own MP cameras. Great job and conspiracy
Post 15 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
I also was surprised when I checked out many of the apartments here in the northwest and discovered that many of them are all scanned.

I don't think there's many opportunities for us. It's all internal.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Apartments.com Blog (16 September 2015) From Virtual Reality Tours to Real Leases: How 3D Content is Transforming the Industry and Generating More Leads
Post 17 IP   flag post
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, been digging out some more intel on the Apartments.com coup. So, the real supplier is their marketing arm http://www.costargroup.com/
MP sold the cameras to them and Costar has in house swat teams of "field researchers" conducting the scans. Fortunately Costar is publicly traded and you can hear and read about their Matterport play in recent filings (although no worthwhile details given other than they love it, their property owners love it etc).
Post 18 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
cdpmedia, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for sharing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
So smart for both parties, it was only a matter of time until a deal like this was struck.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the deal with Apartments.com.

My main market is shooting virtual tours and HDR photography for high end apartments. When I discovered Matterport, I also discovered that Apartments.com had shot one of my main clients' new apartment communities and I freaked out. Was Apartments.com going to make my business obsolete?

Apartments.com shoots the main area of a clubhouse as a tour and then the fitness center. They shoot 1 or 2 model apartments. That's it.

Apartments.com's tours are done for communities that pay a certain amount of money monthly for their listing.

Apartment.com's tours are ONLY for posting on Apartments.com.

Now, I think it's funny - if you know your way around any web browsers's development tools, you can extract the Matterport address and then embed it into another website -- however, that's NOT what Apartments.com wants and it doesn't really help anyone providing Matterport services.

What Apartments.com is doing is using the new standard in online apartment tours and doing a basic job with it.

I've seen people walking through the clubhouse tours several times. They are just getting the job done, not going the extra mile.

Now for me, I know that my high end apartment clients will WANT this on their websites when they see what Apartments.com is doing. They do NOT want people leasing from Apartments.com as it cuts into their revenue. Their listings on Apartments.com are done as a necessary evil. If they don't pay Apartments.com for higher listing fees, their competitor does and shows up more prominently. Apartments.com has better SEO than most individual apartment websites. And hey, Apartments.com isn't a bad thing.

But - Apartment Communities will become VERY aware of this technology and when they find out that they can not only have it on their website -- but have it done properly - it's a HUGE opportunity.

I have shot the same exact community as Apartments.com recently. They came out 2 days after I did. I shot the entire luxury clubhouse wherein you could explore all amenities and walk from the large lounge area into the fitness center via hallway. Apartments.com just shot the two rooms as separate tours.

So, at the end of the day - Apartments.com is majorly boosting awareness in this product and actually boosting the market for Matterport tours.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Also, I don't know what the deal is with Costar. I spoke with some managers and it was their local Apartments.com rep that arranged the tours... Apartments.com has reps in all regions and they use that structure to make sure that they have their nationwide presence.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Moving to the top for additional discussion
Post 23 IP   flag post
DigitalImageries private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan for moving this thread up, it helps answer my question.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I'm revisiting this thread as I just photographed a place for a Google 360 tour - the apartment leasing agent was not familiar with the Matterport offering, yet I see there listing online: http://www.apartments.com/?bb=xthw9-zmzIt4ymjE
Wonder what the pricing is via a third party vendor or if it is indeed done internally.
Post 25 IP   flag post
101436 25 25