Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 406 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,418 Page Views | 18,255 Unique Visitors | 24 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LASiris VRNCTechPredictionsSPAR3D17SPAR3D18WGANTV Live at 5

Prediction: Matterport + NCTech LASiris VR6678

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

360º Videos: NCTech Commercial Director Chris Dryden and Technical Sales Director Andrew Baddeley chat about NCTech's LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture Camera with We Get Around Network Forum Founder Dan Smigrod at the 2017 SPAR3D Expo and Conference.

--

NCTech LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture Camera, ColourCloud Software and Hosting Platform (OneStopVR.com)

--

Hi All,

The sun, moon and stars are about to align.

I could imagine that Matterport and NCTech will announce a strategic alliance at SPAR3D Expo & Conference (June 5-7, 2018 in Anaheim, CA) to enable the NCTech LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture Camera to seamlessly integrate with the Matterport Capture app to enable a mashup of Matterport and LASiris VR.

This would be a "cookie-cutter" of the Matterport pairing with Leica Geosystems BLK360 that's in public beta now (March/April 2018). (The fist non-Matterport hardware to pair with Matterport.)

When Matterport started, it had to simultaneously invent a camera, an app to run the camera, processing, hosting and delivery. There is no reason for Matterport to develop high-end cameras for the AEC space when there are companies like Leica Geosystems and NCTech doing so. Partnering with other 3D scanning/photography platforms simply makes more sense ...

While the LASiris VR was originally announced as "shipping Summer 2017", I could imagine that among other reasons that the LASiris VR has not started shipping was to allow for the integration requirements for Matterport. I could also imagine Google Street View accepting high-end depth data that also requires additional engineering by NCTech.

Interestingly, Leica Geosystems is an authorized reseller for NCTech worldwide.

I will be reporting live from SPAR3D on WGAN-TV. Stay tuned.

What do you think?

The perfect marriage of the Matterport platform with an under $15,000 3D reality LASER Capture Camera?

BTW, I correctly predicted - months before it was announced - that Matterport would allow other camera companies to publish to Matterport. See WGAN Forum Discussion: Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras? where I included Leica BLK360 and NCTECH LASiris VR on my short list of eight likely camera candidates.

Best,

Dan

WGAN Related Discussions

Matterport + Leica BLK360 Beta
SPAR3D: NCTech LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture
✓ All WGAN Forum Discussions Tagged: SPAR3D17
WGAN Meetup Anaheim, CA Tues., June 5, 2018

---
Link: 2018 SPAR3D Expo & Conference
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Do you think my LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture Camera + Matterport (above) prediction is spot on?

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

The LASiris VR — 3D Reality Capture Camera USP's are
"Rethink How You Capture Reality.
No License Fees, No Contracts, Just Capture."
The captured data is saved on an SD card and "can be used on any third-party VR system or processed and shared on onestopVR.com"

OneStopVR provides:
"Upload VR. Edit VR. Share VR.
Easily backup, process, and share your data and provide you with truly amazing immersive walkthroughs and virtual tours of your real-world places."

The LASiris VR essentially does the same as the Leica BLK 360.
The Leica is faster scanning 360k pts/sec vs Lasiris VR 300k pts/sec
The Leica is smaller 100mm dia & 165mm H whilst the Lasiris is 200mm W X 270mm H
The Leica weighs 1kg vs 4.5kg for the Laziris
Imaging sizes: MP 134MP, Leica 150MP Laziris 120 MP
I understand that the Lasiris will have a lower price than the Leica by about a third.(Price indication seen previously on the web)

I think it would be a smart move by Laziris VR to have an association with Matterport, but I think one of the main USP's for me is its ability not to be locked into the MP ecosystem. The output of the camera is already usable in third-party apps without having to use MP as an intermediary.

I am still not clear what the BLK 360 & Lasiris brings to the MP ecosystem that does not already exist. Except for exterior point clouds.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@leonvanzweel

Are you able to join me on WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm ET | GMT -4) tomorrow, Friday (13 April 2018) to discuss this?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
Looking forward to joining you tomorrow.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
We'll see if my prediction is correct in less than three weeks.

What do you think?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonvanzweel

Imaging sizes: MP 134MP, Leica 150MP Laziris 120 MP

I wonder why the BLK 360 is only generating 8192 x 4096 panos in Showcase ... and low quality ones at that...
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
I wonder why the BLK 360 is only generating 8192 x 4096 panos in Showcase ... and low quality ones at that...

Hmmmmmmm......
Post 9 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I still see very limited advantage on the MP side for Pro´s when you are not able to get full access to your data. A MP 134MP is worth nothing if I can only download a thumbnail.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @mori
I still see very limited advantage on the MP side for Pro´s when you are not able to get full access to your data. A MP 134MP is worth nothing if I can only download a thumbnail.

If Matterport promotes a file size, but that's not what can be downloading, that doesn't sound fair.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Ugh!

Goose egg on my prediction a couple of months ago that:

"I could imagine that Matterport and NCTech will announce a strategic alliance at SPAR3D Expo & Conference (June 5-7, 2018 in Anaheim, CA) to enable the NCTech LASiris VR 3D Reality Capture Camera to seamlessly integrate with the Matterport Capture app to enable a mashup of Matterport and LASiris VR."

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Matterport is rendering the full 134MP image in Showcase, for what it's worth.

The full imagery can be extracted via non-TOS compliant methods. I cannot understand why Matterport has not attempted to monetize downloading the full quality panoramas as a set... even if the just offered them for $29 for processing ... seems like it would be a nice way to make some extra cash
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

I could imagine that Matterport is thinking that if it enables the download, Matterport Service Providers will download images and use a different platform for hosting and that Matterport will not make money on hosting.

It's likely the same thinking about why Matterport is a proprietary platform when history shows that open platforms always win.

To say it a different way, by enabling download of the full image size, Matterport would sell more cameras, get more processing revenue and likely more hosting (though Matterport likely does not think so.)

Imagine if Matterport opened its platform form so that "Matterport Ready Cameras" could publish to Matterport. They have begin this process with the Leica Geosystems BLK360. That's a start ... NCTech iSTAR Pulsar should be the next camera that is seamlessly integrated with the Matterport platform.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod & @Metroplex360 - I don´t think that MSP´s would then leave the MP platform as you still need their hosting for the 3D tour.

I would see this as additional paid value for MP and MSP´s and possibility to showcase the high quality on other platforms. And to be able to offer additional custom services as MSP based on the HQ Panoramas which currently are not offered by Matterport and maybe never will be offered by them.

Here I totally agree with Metroplex360, that this would bring additional revenue for MP.
Also the offer to download the OBJ as single file for e.g. $5 or $10. Then I would do it, but not for $49. The other assets I don´t need.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod -

Quick things:

- No other platform touches Showcase on presentation.

- Windows and MacOS dominate Linux (re: open platforms). I'm not sure that open platforms win in all fields.

- I agree that allowing download of the imagery at full resolution is a good move to simply open up more use cases (and add revenue!!)

- I look forward to Matterport opening their platform to more cameras. Their adoption of the BLK was fast, and I believe this was due to the BLK being able to offer the correct inputs for their system.

If Matterport wants to add more cameras to their system - the cameras are going to need to be able to provide geometry data. I'm not entirely sure that it would be worth Matterport going through the lengths to develop photogrammetry tools in order to accept other data -- the accuracy would just fall off the cliff and tech support would sky rocket.

If I were Matterport, who would I want to partner with?

If a middleware provider would make a tool that would accept all panorama formats, standardize the data, and providing geometry data, then that content could be supported by Matterport, then I imagine that Matterport would consider supporting it.

I know that Cupix has a lot going on right now and that their platform is a bit of a jack of all trades. I cannot imagine that Cupix would want to be this middleware provider. What I can imagine is that Cupix or a company with an equal amount of skill would be able to do this.

NCTech is an interesting company.

They co-authored the OSC, which doesn't actually address geometry data.

https://developers.google.com/streetview/open-spherical-camera/

As they also developed the Lasirus, which I view as a device the exists internally and does not yet have a supply chain / production roadmap, I would imagine that they are also considering creation of standards for the data.

What would Matterport need?

Both the BLK and Pro cameras require use of Capture. Capture aligns the data so that it can be ingested to Matterport's ecosystem.

Matterport's data is exchanged using Protocol Buffers (https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/), which is an open standard for exchanging proprietary data in a universally readable container. The schema for each protobuff may be unavailable - so not all 'protobuff' files are readable. The .proto file contains the format to encode/decode.

If a middleware provider partnered with Matterport, I imagine that they may be provided with the spec necessary to ingest data to the same system that Capture uploads to.

---

There's definitely a possibility for someone out there to make this happen.

Some things to consider --

#1) Matterport has control over the quality and accuracy of their data as they control Capture and the Pro-2 device. The BLK is a very high quality device. Middleware content may not be suitable for all features - such as Matterpak.

#2) Matterport might choose to brand Showcase for middleware content as 'OpenShowcase by Matterport' or something else to help differentiate it from controlled content.

---

Just my thoughts.
Post 16 IP   flag post
101704 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?