Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceProblemsScanningUrgent

Alignment issues, advice required6623

Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Today I got completely stumped by a seemingly simple 2000 sq ft English country house. Frustrated.

There was lots of misalignments and I had to keep going back and rescanning.

My question is, do you have to keep scanning in one continuous joined up sequence? I tried to go up stairs, I scanned from first floor, went up the stairs and then started a 2nd floor but nothing joined up.

I decided to start a room completely from scratch and add it as a 3rd floor but that didn’t work either.

Is it possible to go back and rescan part of a space? I did not seem to be able to go up stairs and join the office extension which was part of a converted loft space on the 2nd floor.

Do you scan your way in to a room and then scan your way out and back to the path you entered the room on?

I completed 50 scan points and waiting for the monster to render....
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @angusnorriss
My question is, do you have to keep scanning in one continuous joined up sequence? I tried to go up stairs, I scanned from first floor, went up the stairs and then started a 2nd floor but nothing joined up.

While best practice would be to continue scanning in one continuous sequence, you scan work different parts of the model. For example, in three floors, kids are still sleeping on floor 1 so you begin on floor 2 and then complete floor 3. You go back to floor 2 and now scan down the stairs to complete floor 1. (Best practices: start on floor 1, then 2, then 3).

If you scan floor 1, you can NOT then scan floor 3. Is that what you did? Scans must be contiguous. For clarification, mind the gap

It may be helpful to know that marking a floor on the iPad has NOTHING to do with how the models are processed. It's simply a visual cue for your convenience. When I started in July 2014, if you scanning floor 1 and then floor 2, all the scans were on top of each other (really!) and it was very difficult to know if you actually scanned the 2nd floor successfully.

Quote:
Is it possible to go back and rescan part of a space? I did not seem to be able to go up stairs and join the office extension which was part of a converted loft space on the 2nd floor.

Yes. You can always go back to scan a space on another day provided that the environment and lighting have not changed radically. You may have to overlap a good portion - such as starting in a hallway where nothing changed before you make it into the bedroom that you really needed. Hide the extra scans in Workshop. It once took me 45 minutes to re-establish this connection because the lighting had changed dramatically. To solve this puzzle, I set the tripod at the lowest level and the Camera successfully saw the floor between two previous scans. I then set the tripod at normal height and hit the "low" scan in Workshop.

Again, if you scanned floor 1 and then went to floor three - you are missing the scans to connect the spaces. I don't even know if that's possible. If would be weird if you could leave that gap. Did you do that?

I don't usually tell Members do delete scans. You might duplicate your model. Then, using the duplicate, delete all the scans that are not contiguous. Now, place the camera where objects did not move and the light is similar to re-connect and then continue.

Quote:
Do you scan your way in to a room and then scan your way out and back to the path you entered the room on?

No. Save yourself time scanning (and not having to hide scans in workshop). Do NOT scan your way out and back to the path you entered.

If I am confused and the details, please post screen grabs and model to help WGAN Forum Members chime in.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Thansk Dan

Makes sense.

Here is the scan.
http://imagineerconsulting.io/3d-model/25-church-street/skinned/

There is a room missing (the office) which is located above the garage, accessed up the stairs. The camera just wouldn’t connect and recognise anything going up the stairs. I tried several attempts. When I got up the stairs I tried again and nothing would connect.

In most of the rooms I had to scan my out of the room so the camera had a contiguous journey. You say I shouldn’t have to do this but the camera kept saying ‘alignment issues’ if I didn’t.

To overcome the lack of office in the scan I therefore did a 360 shot of the office.

I also did 360 of the exterior front which is a different model entirely.

Is it possible to upload 360 pics from another model into this scan?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There is a room missing (the office) which is located above the garage, accessed up the stairs. The camera just wouldn’t connect and recognise anything going up the stairs. I tried several attempts. When I got up the stairs I tried again and nothing would connect.

Did you try overlapping scans? For clarification, starting some where that you already scanned where the environment did not change and the lighting was similar? I have taken up to 45 minutes to have success. Stairs are very hard to reconnect since the pattern is so similar. The stitching software is looking for common points to in shot A and shot B to stitch together.

Quote:
In most of the rooms I had to scan my out of the room so the camera had a contiguous journey. You say I shouldn’t have to do this but the camera kept saying ‘alignment issues’ if I didn’t.

It's rare that new cameras in the wild need to be recalibrated by the factory. I encourage you to contact Matterport Support. You should NOT have to scan your way out of a space. None of us do that!

Quote:
I also did 360 of the exterior front which is a different model entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusnorriss
Is it possible to upload 360 pics from another model into this scan?

Not something that you can do. Small chance that Matterport might do this for you.

I am in a conference all day today (22 March 2018). I likely will be slow to reply, if you ask a follow-up.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@angusnorriss Just so you know the scan on the carpet before going into the stairwell you can see yourself in the windows for the doors going outside.

Here is a link to that scan.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Good spot! Still learning. Must hide more.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
@frstbubble how did you get a link to that exact scan point? It went straight to that view on load.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
You hit control u (PC) and it will give you a deep link to what you are viewing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
@angusnorriss You should be able to hide that particular scan point in workshop. I think there are enough scans around there to still allow normal navigation.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Most helpful thank you.

I can’t seem to exit the downstairs living room and enter the hallway by the front door. I can only enter the living from the other direction via the front main entrance of the house.

Any reasons why? Lack of scans in that area?
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?