Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceInsideMapsMarketingStrategyVacation Rentals

Just lost out to InsideMaps6549

jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
So a longtime vacation rental client (whom I photographed several hundred units for over the past 4 years - they were never into the Matterport system) pretty much stopped calling a few weeks back and come to find out they are using the InsideMaps system.

While I think the dollhouse is "neat" and useful in very specific situations, I was looking through the InsideMaps sample tour and have to admit that it looks pretty dang good. You can go from inside to outside; the panos are crisp and vivid, and it appears that the branding is minimal.

Now, the pricing is definitely end-user pricing (based on the square footage) but again, we've seen that a lower barrier to entry results in more expensive "processing".

https://www.insidemaps.com/home#im-view-3dmodel

Has anyone else lost out to the DIY market recently? Had any luck getting that business back? I focus on providing photography and provide Matterport and other services as add-ons.
Post 1 IP   flag post
adigolds private msg quote post Address this user
It looks very impressive.
InsideMaps is a service only or they have a platform (hardware + software) you can use like Matterport ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
This is concerning. As a professional portrait photographer, I've witnessed the decline in that market over the last 10-15 years as we switched from film to digital capture. Are we witnessing the same thing as 360 VR capture becomes easier & easier. The 360 technology is advancing at a much greater pace than digital photography is and, as seen here, is becoming easier to use and less costly than hiring a professional.

Add that to Matterport encouraging our clients, the real estate market, to buy a lower cost version of what they sell us and to do it themselves, I have to ask myself, where do I fit in and how long before my Pro2 camera becomes obsolete?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
Coincidence...I contacted 2 local high end realtors today and both are using InsideMaps to capture all their listings. This is one of their current listings one of them directed me to:

clickable text

How do you compete with that considering what it cost them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

ThreeSixty.Tours Screen Grab: Try Interactive Demos

@jasondavidpage

For your Vacation Rental Company 'Client' ... consider mocking up a ThreeSixty.Tours (white-label available).

Charge them monthly hosting and maintenance (adding their digital assets: 3D Tours, photos, Videos, Floor plans, aerial and more).

Best,

Dan

P.S. WGAN Standard Members get the free use of ThreeSixty.Tours]ThreeSixty Tours (white Label Pro 5 Plan) | one of 40+ Membership benefits | www.JoinStandard.com
Post 5 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod - they aren't interested in spending more with me. They are utilizing an ultimately cheaper DIY option.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jasondavidpage

Do they have a competitor that does not want to go the DIY route?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@DanSmigrod My guess is that if they did, the competitor would figure out that it would be in their financial interest to go the DIY route fairly quickly. The quality of the images from an iPhone is as good if not better than the pro2 in the samples I saw. If I were making that financial decision, it would be a no-brainer.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@rzphotoman

I could imagine @jasondavidpage still pitching the competitor InsideMaps. Not everyone wants DIY. He still might walk out with an order to shoot traditional photos

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@DanSmigrod
Anything is possible, but I'm beginning to see the start of what is happening in the professional photography business...hopefully I'm wrong. I've invested a lot in Matterport.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@rzphotoman

The magic of Matterport arrives when many 3rd Party Developers are banging away at their APIs to create amazing new possibilities....

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
It's the data behind Matterport that matters. Said it a couple years ago. The money is in the data. Matterport captures the point cloud that is the key.
Post 12 IP   flag post
jfrankcole private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my two cents: as a Realtor, I don't have the time to DIY photography, especially on the higher end listings. I want market the home in the best way possible and if that means spending a few hundred bucks to make the house look killer (and remember we are talking about high end listings here, bank owned properties might be an exception), than I am all for it. No top producing agent I know would bat an eye at professional photography expenses. It's a cost of doing business. Besides, the quality of the DIY product you showed isn't even close to the matterport, I wouldn't include that on any of my listings.
Post 13 IP   flag post
coulee360 private msg quote post Address this user
I just stubbled upon a house in my area that a top agency just listed on Realtor.com and noticed it had a VR Tour link with it. Clicked it and it had an insidemaps 3D Tour. After touring that house with the quality its done at vs my Pro1, if I was a homebuyer I would rather look at a house that was done with a Matterport camera.

clickable text

I have found with this tour compared to a Matterport tour I do, I use more scan points to actually walk around the house.

Once I found out this information. I've now just gained competition in my area for 3D Tours. But with the far superior quality my Pro1 has over this, I'm not going to worry fully. Just puts more of a hiccup in my way as getting realtors to even be interested has been a hard task alone.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I got a big client who tested out a few homes with it. Claiming they were charged a grand. At which point I offered, I could do this job. No reason to go to someone else and be taken care of. I need to figure out how to offer this and stick it in the pile of offerings.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for sharing those horrible Inside Maps tours. It seems that the samples on their website were far from the normal. False advertising!
Post 16 IP   flag post
MSD private msg quote post Address this user
I've had a largely positive experience with InsideMaps. In my opinion the scans are 80% the quality of Matterport for a much lower price point (plus they can scan outside).

The matterport experience is much better from a user point of view but some of my clients couldn't tell the difference between the two experiences.

If the InsideMaps experience keeps improving, I think the low cost of entry and lack of hosting fees could end up taking a big bite out of Matterport's business.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
I would say the scans are maybe 50% the quality of Matterport but I had the same thoughts as you when I first saw them. Now I believe that, knowing how cheep some realtors are, the only ones that will go that route are the ones that would have never have hired me in the first place. Not that concerned anymore.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys, I am new here.

We have bought a second hand Pro2 and starting offering matterport to our clients.

As for the InsideMaps or any other solution for virtual tours it is not the price of hardware or even a cloud price that drives Matterport further it is at least their sales and marketing.
I am from Australia and we have two major real estate listing websites where Matterport is implemented. It happened because Matterport has been talking to them and somehow made them thinking it is great addon to a property listings. Going for something different means you won't be able to present this virtual tours on these websites.

And I am not even sure they will even talk with InsideMaps in order to implement their solution. I have talked to realestate.com.au about just adding 360 degrees photos. Even though they were posting them on their facebook page 3 years ago they still do not have it on their website and cannot tell when they are going to allow them.

And Insight Maps plans are quite expensive. I'd rather pay $19 for the model and spend $6000 AUD on the camera, than use $150 device and Iphone with a minimum of $49 paid for the model.
Post 19 IP   flag post
harshp private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of large brokerages have adopted the Insidemaps solution for all their tours. A few examples from recent tours :

https://www.insidemaps.com/project/Iy32GLYq52/listing
https://www.insidemaps.com/project/7csFezQZby/listing

The price 49.95 includes floorplans and no hosting fees for one year. Custom branding is included. Smart-tags are supported.

PS : We don't need a 18,000 device to scan in the sun, external spins are integrated in the tour. Calling someone horrible in a public forum without trying out the product shows a sense of insecurity and ignorance.
Post 20 IP   flag post
101429 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?