Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceFAQScanningTipsTransfer Space

How does the "Matterport Transfer Space" work?6502

BrianM private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone used the "Transfer Space" feature under the 3 dots (More Actions)?

Is this to transfer to another account?

Or is it to transfer to a client that may not have an account?

I never have noticed that feature until just now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@BrianM

I believe this is a new feature that has not been publicly promoted by Matterport (yet).

I recall that Matterport included a few questions about potentially adding this feature in its quarterly user survey in 4Q17.

Thank you for the discovery and posting about it to the WGAN Forum.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@BrianM

Postscript. I actually believe there is a potential bug in the workflow.

I "successfully" transferred the model from "Dan@We-Get-Around.com to "DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com" ...

While "Dan@We-Get-Around.com" is my Matterport Cloud account; "DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com" does not have a Cloud account. (It is an alias email address to "Dan@We-Get-Around.com"

While I successfully transferred the model, I am NOT able to access the model that I transferred to: either because DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com does not have an existing Mattterport Cloud account or because the reset password feature does NOT work.

While I :love: that this feature now exists, and I :love: the workflow, I would use caution to doing transfers until Matterport studies this discussion.

Best,

Dan

P.S. For clarification about the last screen grab above, it has been about 10 minutes since this post and I have not received a password reset for: "DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com"
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! With all of the noise last week, this one slipped by my radar too Glad to see this one live
Post 4 IP   flag post
achabot private msg quote post Address this user
So how much is it per space to transfer?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@achabot

Free!

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
DavidHothersall private msg quote post Address this user
Its obvious (to me anyway) that you can't 'transfer' a space to yourself using the same account or indeed to someone who hasn't got an account.

This would be a valid test if you had two accounts but as you only have the one than there is nowhere to transfer the space to as its already present in your account. Likewise if someon hasn't got an account where would you transfer it to?

I've used the manual process to transfer models to a clients account successfully and smoothly and this just seems like an automated version of that same process.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DavidHothersall

I tried transferring one of our models from our account (Dan@We-Get-Around.com) to DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com (no account, and the email points to Dan@We-Get-Around.com to test).

Clear as mud?

To make it more confusing, the test was "successful" but I have no idea how to retrieve the model. It did transfer out of our Matterport Cloud account, but where it went, I have no idea and have not had a moment to ask Matterport.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
DavidHothersall private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously a flaw in the system. I would have thought it should have checked to see if if a Matterport hosting account existed on that email address and then come back saying it wasn't possible to transfer as there is no account associated with that email address.

Obviously that space is now floating around in the 'Eco-System'
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DavidHothersall

Your post prompted me to (just) send question to Matterport Support. I will let you know how they reply.

Best

Dan

Post 10 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
So will the client we transfer our models to have to pay the hosting?

I am looking at a client who is also a Collaborator to my models so they already have an account but I can't find any documentation stating the transferee will have to pay for a hosting account or not.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@immersiveprop

1. You pay processing.
2. They need a Matterport Cloud hosting account.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
SpencerLasky private msg quote post Address this user
I've read through this thread - looks like it is sorted out, my client will need a Matterport cloud account and once they have it I can identify it by the email it's link too? I think? and then upload to that account. When I do that the file still stays in my account as well? Or do I lose the model.

Spencer
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Spencerlasky

When you transfer a model from your Matterport account to your clients account, three things happen:

1. You transfer the model. It is NO longer in your account
2. You transfer the copyright along with the Matterport Space
3. Since the model is now in your client's account, they now pay for hosting

For clarification, you lose the model (unless you re-publish it to your Matterport account).

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
ah ok, since I have the creation files if I want to use it for further use or example I can re-upload it and get a new link, and pay. Well that sounds ok, some of the locations I shot do have second use potential. If you had it in your showcase on your iPad, I would assume since that is offline it would stay - unless you deleted it in which case you could not reload it.

So I think this is good, however in the future for a service of this nature I would structure the fee differently. This is what no photography really wants to do unless it's fair compensation.

This however is a positive I'll make it work.

Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Spencerlasky
ah ok, since I have the creation files if I want to use it for further use or example I can re-upload it and get a new link, and pay. Well that sounds ok, some of the locations I shot do have second use potential. If you had it in your showcase on your iPad, I would assume since that is offline it would stay - unless you deleted it in which case you could not reload it.

So I think this is good, however in the future for a service of this nature I would structure the fee differently. This is what no photography really wants to do unless it's fair compensation.

This however is a positive I'll make it work.

Thanks!

If Major Studio means film/TV production, then they deal in intellectual property all day long. They are sophisticated buyers of intellectual property. On this one where you priced it one way and they want it differently, justing doing it for the learning experience may be helpful to you. That said, ask questions about why they want it in their own account.

Personally, I feel that you are missing recurring monthly review by placing the model in their Matterport account. So, yes, I would charge differently for transfer of the copyright versus granting them a non-exclusive license. At the very least, you want to retain the right to use the model in your portfolio.

Best,

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes I do feel they know what they are asking for and it was a little surprising to me they want to "not pay" anything for this additional, and this might just be a producer tactic, probably is just to see how easy I cave.

However I have operated with out a contract till now for reasons I feel make sense, as said the more you require people to sign the more potential to them just in general shying away and we needed to build an in-road. Verbally I showed them and told them what it is but I think they have a lot going on and did not grasp it. Going forward this service will be included for an additional on a one-sheet pricing/contract boiler-plate.

Getting out of this situation will be fine, it's just a matter of organizing what I want to do and if I'm losing the models all together then I will need to consider it will just be the cost of reloading and processing, however I will only quote a fee not what I intend to do. I might have to look up location scouts photography agreements since this is similar in nature.

thanks so much for the feedback and help. I'm still building this and dealing with majors is stressful, it's fast paced and smart money managers but the artist among the team are all very happy with the product this camera creates. I was also able to do a large show in LA based on Matterport however we shot it also with LiDar and used photogrammetry for a higher resolution solution. The potential to use this tool in conjunction with other technology is very interesting.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

If you have Matterport Classic Pricing and you get Matterport New Pricing, you can transfer from New Pricing (no processing fee) to Classic Pricing.

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
If you have Matterport Classic Pricing and you get Matterport New Pricing, you can transfer from New Pricing (no processing fee) to Classic Pricing.

I am using it this way now to transfer from my new Professional plan to my old Basic one. It is fast, free and saves some money on processing while I can keep my transferred models hosted on the old Basic plan with 100 models limit.

If you do it all the time it is definitely worth extra $69 for an additional Professional account.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Reminder

How to do Matterport Transfer Space requests.

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
101432 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?