Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DystopianMatterport EcosystemReal EstateRealtorsTOS

My Bulk Letter to Agent Clients6439

jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
I decided that I couldn't keep my clients in the dark about this ToS change and the future of the Matterport system. Just this morning I sent out the following email because I don't want my clients to sustain any liability for not informing their clients.

####

I'm writing you because I have previously scanned a space for you using the Matterport 3D system. Just the other day the CEO published a letter that seemed very positive in nature, clickable text, however, the positivity is hiding some major changes to the Terms of Service that Matterport applies to every subscription user of its system.

Among those changes is the fact that once I publish a space (on the backend I change to "public" , they are forever granted the right to do (practically) anything with the data from that space including contacting new property owners to provide that data to them in what Matterport calls their "ecosystem". This new "rights grab" is indicative of their frequent additional licensing changes.

I have been a huge supporter of the Matterport system, but I (and many other service providers) are fighting them tooth and nail trying to revert these Terms of Service changes (as they apply retroactively to ALL spaces that are within their system.) I am explaining this to you because it concerns your clients' privacy - anything visible in the scans of their home will be made available to future property owners (and who knows what other 3rd party entities may have access to this data.) The solution isn't even as simple as Deleting a scanned space - in order to opt-out of the "Ecosystem" the future property owner will be required to complete a currently non-existent process.

I'm also writing you because I feel like members of CCAR, TAR, and NAR need to bring this concern up with whatever committees could reach out and help rectify this situation on a national level. Realtors are the primary purchaser of Matterport scans, and a voice as loud as the NAR will have a major impact on such egregious Terms of Service changes.

I feel like you have a right to know about the impact of these changes because I don't want you to end up liable for not explaining the situation to your clients - that their possessions, photos, and life contained within their home as it was scanned - will be made available to others after they have moved out.

Thank you for your time,

Jason

####
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
@jasondavidpage Well Done!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@jasondavidpage

Well said. Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
Very well thought out and written. We're holding off before making changes to our terms and agreement until the dust settles a bit more. Sending letters to existing clients with change notification to terms could have negative impact on obtaining future work. For us all clients sign a Statement of Work which outlines the work to be completed as well as abbreviated terms. The abbreviated terms include blurb that says they have read and agree to the formal terms and agreement (with web link) which states terms may change without notice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?