Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DystopianMatterport Ecosystem

Matterport: Chief Ethics Officer Wanted?6417

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

This post is inspired by this post in the discussion:

When you think it couldn’t get any worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by @hometakes
I dont think that they have any good business ethics regarding their MSPs at all. So many of us will jump ship the moment an alternative solution thats as good as the Matterport experience comes along. This is the atmosphere that Matterport has created among so many of us MSP's and I for one wont have a sorry bone in my body for them if their ship eventually goes down. Keep shooting up Matterport, it will make you feel better for now, but it the long run, it will eventually kill you.

Seems like Matterport could use a Chief Ethics Officer to, among other things, represent the Client (that's us!) at the table.

A Chief Ethics Officer would have required:

✓ the option to opt-in: not a default that everyone was automatically added
✓ at the very least, an option for the copyright owner to opt-out
✓ recommended that the Client (that's us!) get compensated for the derivative works created from "our" content (a buy out? a pay per use model?
✓ Plus, the opt-in / opt-out would have been by model, by folder or by all

It's obvious that Matterport lacks an advocate for the Client at discussions.

What do you think? Does Matterport need a Chief Ethics Officer?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Nerdvice451 private msg quote post Address this user
We have survived and prospered because we have satisfied clients. We do everything within our power to make sure they are happy with our work. We are not prospering because we have no competition but because we do have competition. Basing a business model around the fact that your customers(MSPs)have nowhere else to go is not a long term recipe for success. We are in an age of exponential technological change. Being the king of the mountain in the 21st Century is something that will not last long. And with many many (MSPs that I see posting here) being very angry about Matterport's exploitation of them and their photography, it seems obvious that when an alternative camera becomes available, they will drop Matterport like a bad habit. It may seem like they are winning now but they are positioning themselves to soon become a line in the history books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
If this is something that is supposed to be good for the MSPs, I don't see it yet. They are doing a terrible job of explaining this to us. Hopefully Matterport will respond to all the anger expressed on the forum and quell what I see as an upcoming rebellion.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
We currently own 6 Matterports. We have produced 700 +/- scans in about a year and a half. Our customers are happy with us and the work we produce. We are the BOOTS ON THE GROUND. Matterport has not done anything for their users that helps make their job easier. Rather they compete with us, they offer us incentives to help them sell their equipment. Up to this point I have not been vocal, but there is a line in the sand, one that will not continue to move backwards as time passes. If Matterport thinks they are an end all, there are many photographers that are selling other products and doing very well. They appear to think only of themselves, and don't seem to be concerned with copyright infringement or the like. So I am one who will become more vocal and join anything that protects the integrity of our product.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
@rko1 I agree and will join with you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101436 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?