Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,047 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DeletingMuseumsScanningTips

Tips on a Matterport Scan of a Large Space6370

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

A WGAN Member is in the midst of a large scanning project and asks ...

"When doing a very large space [redacted], how do you keep the scans manageable (less than 200?)"

I reply below ...

Dan

Hi [redacted],

Thanks for reaching out ...

1. While Matterport says officially that they will support up to 200 scans or 10,000 SQ FT, many Matterport Pros report success with 40,000 SQ FT, or even larger. I've done as much as 18,500 SQ FT

2. In theory, there is no limit to the number of scans on your iPad, though the Matterport Capture app can "act up" with large models. The limit is a large model potentially crashing in WebGL (model quits unexpectedly, sluggish).

3. So, the art of scanning a large space is knowing that you would like to end up with 200 scans within the model.

4. First, when you get over 200 scans, consider duplicating the model every 25 or 50 scans so that you can always come back to a master if you get in big trouble.

5. Now imagine that you have 400 scans within the model. Duplicate it so that you have a final master because the next step.

6. While I typically would recommend not deleting any scans - just hide them in Matterport Workshop - when you are over 200 scan, you really should delete scans.

7. Think about a tower of 400 big blocks (scans) and you need to remove 200 blocks (scans) to end up with 200 blocks (scans). Remove the wrong one, and the blocks fall (model implodes). Don't stress too much because it will be obvious to you which scans you can remove. You might even consider duplicating after you delete 50 scans and processing. This way if the best you can do is get the final count down to 250, that's better than deleting scans to 200 - imploding - and have to start again with the 400 scan model because you did not keep the 250 scan version. The good news is that Matterport does not charge for reprocessing. The model is the SAME, even if it has a different name or has deleted scans.

Clear as mud?

It's likely that others in the WGAN Forum will share their insights. So, I will post there to see if we get some additional tips and insights.

I know that you are scanning a great, indoor space so it is likely that you will have an easy time deleting scans. The challenge will be keeping the dollhouse view looking nice.

Typically, if I was shooting a super-large space, I will manage the clients expectations that I might need to delete as 3D Tours of separate floors. So, if I did 350 scans and was still not done with the last floor, I might have to scan the last floor as a separate model. Not what you want to hear since you are in the midst of the project, but good to know for the next one. Under promise and hopefully over deliver.

BTW, there are lots of discussions in the WGAN Forum tagged: large You might review these discussions.

Good luck and enjoy your weekend.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan...not sure I understand all that yet but I have been thinking about that problem and what to do if I ever land a job that size. Will be looking for others opinion and advice for sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Good post - i’m about embark on an epic scan. Been reading and learning. Anyone shot aircraft so you can see wing not just fuselage? I want an ‘all-angle-fly-in’ at height of approx 100ft. I need to see the whole plane.

If I scan any lower and get no wings of the plane I just get a hotdog dollshouse with a cockpit!. The MSP edition of the 747.

Think I need to hire a prop tower on wheels and strap a camera to it. Advice appreciated.

Angus
Post 3 IP   flag post
101587 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?