Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Big BoxMuseumsSanningVersus

Solutions for Scanning Large Box Stores6333

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Member of the WGAN Forum Community emailed me ...

---

Subject: Matterport Alternative to Capture a Large Space

I'm a Matterport service provider and was recently asked to bid for a project to scan [many] large "box stores".

These range from 60,000-120,000 sqft and so unfortunately Matterport is not an option. I was reading through your article on alternatives to Matterport and I was just wondering if there was one in particular that you'd recommend utilizing for such large spaces.

For such a large project I feel it'd be worth while to either purchase and learn new technology or at least pass the information on to the prospective client to pursue themselves."

Thank you so much for any information

---

My reply ....

Hi [redacted],

Thank you for reaching out and congrats on your potential large order.

My recommendation would be based on the problem that your potential client asking you to solve?

Tell me some stories about how these the solution will be used and what is ultimately the goal?

By the way, before you pass on the project - telling the client here is the tech and they can figure out how to do it themselves - please, let's chat about how you can sub-contract the work. We can provide free referrals to Pros anywhere. Plus, the size of the order is likely large enough for Pros to invest in their own gear to be able to shoot this job in their market.

You have a great opportunity. And, I could imagine that your potential client reached out to you because you have a trusted relationship?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Purchase and learn new technology!

I'm sure many people bought Matterport thinking we could offer an all in one service and quickly learned there isn't enough here to support yourself on. We were promised we could offer virtual staging soon and it never came. We thought the HDR pictures would sell well with agents, they haven't. We waited how long for Google Street View?

I lost out on bids to shoot hotels and other locations on GSV not understanding how the process worked. Sometimes referred them out. No more!!!

Learn HDR Photography if you haven't already. Hit up @JonJ at PhotoSparc for your photo editing until you have photo editing down.

Earn enough business to get yourself a Panhead. Invest in a 3D software like 3D Vista and learn how to stitch 360's together making a tour similar to Iguide.

Or buy another competing service like Iguide

Earn your Google Street View Badge and up sell how you can sell HDR and DSLR 360 photos. You could skip the stitching and offer a lower price using your Matterport camera to shoot the 360's, make a tour with 3D Vista and save yourself the loss.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
Use CUPIX.COM for unlimited size properties. Use a consumer camera like Ricoh Theta S/V or Xiaomi MiShpere.(sub 300USD) Not premium quality like Matterport but very quick to shoot. Alternatively, you can shoot high-quality spherical images with a DSLR and stitch them together. This is time-consuming and not cost-effective for projects of your size. I get results that are satisfactory with a Ricoh Theta S on HDR.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@leonvanzweel, - How are you doing with customers when they see Ricoh Theta at a job site? I did a couple shoots with it with no return customers. My wife (long time RE Agent) keeps telling me about how cheap and cheesy it looks. She thinks mentioning it and customer seeing it on site has them downgrading me quality of work they expect.

When I come in with the big Matterport or the DSLR with a big lens and camera grip, people do bow down and remove that stigma.

I think the Ricoh is fine because we know the quality coming back from Matterport and what the Ricoh offer are about the same.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV It is not about the tool. It is about using the right tool for a specific outcome. Most people's technological knowledge is rather limited. When the question comes up I explain that a small footprint is critical to capture 360 one-shot spherical images. I can use bigger cameras with multiple shots and stitch the images together, but that will cost them a lot more.

The Theta/Cupix solution works well in a low-cost environment, where sunlight/outside is involved, transitions from outside/inside are required or where a huge number of scans are required.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101436 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?