Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.obj.XYZAECMatterport MatterPakPricing

$49 for OBJ File Thank You Matterport6066

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOceanic
Can't tell you how stoked I am regarding the surprise gift of rapid capture this week. First blush it seems a minor thing, but getting in and out... cutting a significant % of time off clearing a property/interrupting a business/homeowner/agent's schedule IS a big deal. Frankly, seeing the "camera" wiz around now... I wouldn't have thought it possible to capture that amount of data that quickly any time this soon. Bravo!

It's like you got a new camera! This changes everything!
Post 51 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Trust / Longevity

Matterport is a company with many partners, many investors, and extremely qualified people ensuring that the company functions and operates as a sustainable business. Many unpopular decisions are made in the interest of sustainability.

Partners and investors in general do not have any expertise in how to run a business, they just wait for a check to come in. Can you please collaborate on "qualified people" a little more. How qualified, to what capacity and in what field? Do we talk about Engineers or Business Management? A great engineer is not necessarily a person qualified to run a business.

As we can tell from previous bad business practices regarding how MP is gaining clients and the non existent customer support for example.

I know ,I know Google doesn't provide any customer service, no they do not but their service doesn't cost me a dime / month either. However anybody else that use as my service provider does provide good customer service.
Post 52 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360, we could exchange posts for days and we would never accomplish anything. We have some basic disagreements here.

You are a believer with a frequent and fluid relationship with Matterport while I am just a user.

For me, Matterport is a virtual tour with a dollhouse. Which means that I am not the right valued customer for them. And that explains my posts.

The fundamental question here is: how many of the thousands of Matterport camera owners think that it is just a virtual tour with a dollhouse and how many think that there is a lot more. And I mean A LOT enough to justify a long term relationship with the brand.

If we were to run a Net Promoter Score on Matterport, what figure do you think they would get? More promoters than detractors?

The answer to this question will tell you for how long the movement will keep going on.

You know that there is no such thing as perpetual movement (first law of thermodynamics). The question here is for how long Matterport will keep receiving the fuel needed to feed what you call "the movement".

And let me finish with this: it is not about technology. It never was about technology. In business, everything goes around the value/price ratio. While price is something you can measure very easy, value is subjective. And that's why we are posting what we are posting, and I say what I say while you feel and say something completely different.

We cannot argue about value perception. It makes no sense and leads nowhere.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl
Can you please collaborate on "qualified people" a little more. How qualified, to what capacity and in what field? Do we talk about Engineers or Business Management? A great engineer is not necessarily a person qualified to run a business.

https://matterport.com/about/

Couple people not on there -

Kirk Stromberg - Product Management | Product Marketing
Graduated: Stanford University Graduate School of Business
Motorola Mobility (5 yrs), Nokia Senior Product Manager (~2 yrs), Adobe Senior Manager / Corporate Strategy (~5yrs), Palm/PalmSource, Orbital (Kennedy Space Center)

Oren Tversky - VP Business Development
Graduated: UC Berkley
Unity Technologies (4 yrs), Symbian (7 yrs) - Samsung's OS platform before they adopted Android.

--

An article about their new CFO -- JD Fay, CFO. Harvard Business School grad.

--

Want to know my achievements?

Chris Hickman
Austin Community College, 1 yr (studied Spanish and Chemistry)
Last 'real job': Bennigan's. (2001-2002)

I started programming at age 6 on my Commodore 64. I dreamed of making development platforms for building games, which transitioned into curiosity in data management/business application development in high school. I was the business manager for my High School newspaper and handled ad sales. I took these two passions and turned to web development in 1998. I dropped out of college to pursue building a CMS system and work with a life coach at starting a business and learning how to interact with clients. Website clients included several multi-family apartment management companies in Texas, merch sites for several bands (Howie Day, Virginia Coalition, and one other that I cannot even remember) which led to commuting to Washington DC monthly to work with several conservative groups and a contract in-house position at god.tv. I eventually dropped my CMS when Wordpress became a viable platform for general web development.

I started Metroplex360 in 2006 when I became a father as a separate venture to market photography and panoramas and refocus on something a bit more scalable as these were of interest to several clients and I felt that they were worth marketing separately.

I don't have a proper degree, but in being a web developer and working with so many different clients, it's helped me learn about how businesses function - and helped me see plently of disfunctional businesses.

I'm fascinated by how businesses operate and love to ask a lot of questions. Even this journey with Matterport has been an educational experience. I have asked a LOT of questions.

I see the degrees and the years of education that comprises the Matterport Team -- the accomplishments -- and how these people have all pursued their dreams and converged together at this unique company and am absolutely humbled to have a voice in the community and in field testing and providing feedback to what they are building.

These are some smart people that I'm sure keep each other in check. I am not even qualified to work at Matterport.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
@Metroplex360, we could exchange posts for days and we would never accomplish anything.

We have some basic disagreements here. You are a believer with a frequent and fluid relationship with Matterport while I am just a user. For me, Matterport is a virtual tour with a dollhouse. Which means that I am not the right valued customer for them. And that explains my posts.

I think that's an accurate description of Matterport's product.

Quote:
The fundamental question here is: how many of the thousands of Matterport camera owners think that it is just a virtual tour with a dollhouse and how many think that there is a lot more. And I mean A LOT enough to justify a long term relationship with the brand.

I think most people just get it to make virtual tours with a dollhouse and VR mode.

Quote:
If we were to run a Net Promoter Score on Matterport, what figure do you think they would get? More promoters than detractors?

I think that the # of cameras owned, the # of tours uploaded and the '50 fastest growing silicon valley private companies' metrics tie in. I don't know what measurements are used - but when apartments.com, realtor.com and other large companies are adopting the technology... I would say that perception of Matterport's value is high.

Quote:
You know that there is no such thing as perpetual movement (first law of thermodynamics). The question here is for how long Matterport will keep receiving the fuel needed to feed what you call "the movement".

Fair question to ask of any company - and it answers itself. As long as people want to use their product.

Quote:
And let me finish with this: it is not about technology. It never was about technology. In business, everything goes around the value/price ratio. While price is something you can measure very easy, value is subjective.

Value/Price - Determined by individual success of the MSP. Matterport are always looking at the value proposition of everything they do from which features are added, how they are added, and what price points to associate with the product.

It is not of value to Matterport to hire on additional staff and expand their operations without monetizing their platform further.

Quote:
And that's why we are posting what we are posting, and I say what I say while you feel and say something completely different. We cannot argue about value perception. It makes no sense and leads nowhere.

There were several points raised that I responded to that extended beyond feeling and value perception.

At the end of the day, yes, Matterport's Value Prop might not work for everyone. I am very happy when it -does- work for others as they are on the journey with me -- and hopefully I can learn something.

I've learned a LOT from the people here @WGA. Esp @DanSmigrod.
Post 55 IP   flag post

grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Thank you for answering my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Kirk Stromberg - Product Management | Product Marketing
Graduated: Stanford University Graduate School of Business
Motorola Mobility (5 yrs), Nokia Senior Product Manager (~2 yrs), Adobe Senior Manager / Corporate Strategy (~5yrs), Palm/PalmSource, Orbital (Kennedy Space Center)

Oren Tversky - VP Business Development
Graduated: UC Berkley
Unity Technologies (4 yrs), Symbian (7 yrs) - Samsung's OS platform before they adopted Android.

Looking at the history speaks for itself. Motorola Mobility (they had to reinvent them self and adopt android and almost didn't make it) Nokia & Palm/Palm GONE. Symbian doesn't exist anymore and Samsung OS before Android? Nobody working at Matterport from Blackberry??? :-)

At least that explains why the MP business is run the way it is. Although you would think that highly educated people would not like to make the same mistakes again.

Regarding your achievements: I can only congratulate you on the knowledge you have acquired. You have developed some very useful tools for Matterport and probably much more that I do not know of. Keep up the good work!
Post 56 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@grmngrl Samsung also dropped Symbian for Android... and Nokia dropped their own OS for Windows Mobile while being acquired by Microsoft, mainly for patents, who ran them into the ground. Motorola's mobile devision was acquired by Google -- mainly for patents, and then sold off to Lenovo. Palm was eventually acquired too by HP for 1.2 billion, perhaps for patents, wherein HP ran it into the ground and dissolved it within a year. The name 'Palm' is owned by the same company that makes the current gen Blackberry Android devices.

All of the above companies were of tremendous value when they were sold off... except Adobe, which is still around.

If Matterport were to one day be bought ... I would imagine that it would be by a company like LEICA... we've talked about Google, Microsoft, and Facebook -- but none of that really makes sense as Matterport is a tool that provides solutions to many industries... all of the other companies were purchased by companies seeking to expand their mobile solutions.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360
@jfantin
This is a great, must-read thread; I respect both perspectives. Just a quick question though about the showcase app for iOS... is there a reason why the downloaded models do not activate the links in contained in the Mattertags? This is a huge disadvantage when showing prospects the features of a showcase. Unless, I missed a step in opening the models, is there anything we can do to activate the links?
Post 58 IP   flag post
@Shakoure,

You have to be sure that the model you have downloaded in your Showcase is the latest version with the Mattertags already inserted.

Remember that once the models are downloaded into your iPad they are not updated automatically. So if you first downloaded the model and later you went to your Workshop and worked with the Mattertags, these mattertags wonĀ“t be automatically inserted into your downloaded model As you know, the whole idea of the Showcase is to work off-line so the models are, precisely, off-line, and hence not aware of what is going on with their "cousins" in Matterport's servers.

I hope this helps.
Post 59 IP   flag post
unewe private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All!

My question is how can we run a business if we don't even know how much our costs are going to be in a short-term period?

A few days ago I quoted an important project. They were interested in OBJ files. Now, I cannot offer the same price, I'm going to need to increase the budget and lose the business for sure... Fortunately, I learn the lesson before signing any contract because if not I should have assumed the costs and lose a lot of money.
Post 60 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Member of the WGAN Forum emailed me this today (16 January 2018) (below) ...

Dan

---

Here's my [2 cents] on the topic.

We definately have different use of the MP.

I've scanned over 250K sqft of industrial floor. To each field it's own value...

I've never used or shared the actual MP online solution.

The MatterPak could be [$100 / $500]... Doesn't matter, as long as we see additional value. Now, if they only package it and don't change a thing, well, that's not a deal for anyone. But at [$50], with the new faster scan update, there is still a lot of value in the MP solution for AEC.

[redacted]

--
Post 61 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unewe
Hi All!

My question is how can we run a business if we don't even know how much our costs are going to be in a short-term period?

A few days ago I quoted an important project. They were interested in OBJ files. Now, I cannot offer the same price, I'm going to need to increase the budget and lose the business for sure... Fortunately, I learn the lesson before signing any contract because if not I should have assumed the costs and lose a lot of money.

Hopefully you had more than $50 in profit here. As @DanSmigrod's anonymous contributor pointed out -- Fast Capture has added additional value [by halving the time needed to scan a location]. So, the unfortunate need for an extra $50 for the OBJ has a silver lining to it.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Just got clarification from MP that every OBJ of past projects will be at a premium too. So if you want to save a copy of those OBJ for future use, grab them now while they are free.
Post 63 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tosolini
Just got clarification from MP that every OBJ of past projects will be at a premium too. So if you want to save a copy of those OBJ for future use, grab them now while they are free.

Yikes! Thank you!

Dan
Post 64 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
There is some great news. Soon there will be competitors to Matterport and we don't have to worry about this anymore. Stay tuned for updates
Post 65 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard

"Speak now or stay silent forever" :P

Without telling specific name...Any more details? Another 360 viewer solution or an actual competitor with Structured light Camera / solid Machine Vision alorigthms / Cloud processing services ? Competing with MP is a very challeging task. No wonder they've been pretty much left alone in this field for years now.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Hope so! Competition is always great. Instant accountability that pushes us all to do / be better. That said- I wouldn't necessarily expect a freshly new to market product to hit the ground outpacing / offer everything Matterport does and..... not be without it's own compromises or worries all its own.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosolini

No, no, no - if it's before December 15, it's free. Any OBJs from after Dec 15th, 2017 that are PRESENTLY free, will become paid.

And they are not unbundling any time soon. Official decision made. There are many reasons, including the fact that they will be improving the quality of the OBJ. It's quite possible that they flipped the switch on December 15th to start generating a second, higher quality OBJ and are testing it internally. I could imagine it being significantly better perhaps offering parity to the pointcloud, thus they would not want to create a low quality OBJ in addition to the high quality one to distribute.
Post 68 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A 3rd Party service provide emailed me the following over the weekend .....

"... unfortunately, the latest move by Matterport to start charging for the OBJ file has really impacted the demand for them (as they all require the OBJ file)."

This is the second 3rd party service provider that has said that they are rethinking offering services related to Mattterport OBJ.

I could imagine had Matterport managed the expectations of the WGAN Forum Community by saying that they planned to charge for the OBJ, that would have been different.

Still hoping that Matterport embraces 3rd party developers by offering the original OBJ for free as it did for nearly for more than three years.

Dan
Post 69 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Many MSPs are selling their services on the basis of USD per SQFT (or EUR per SQM)

But how can we verify the approximate SQFT without access to the OBJ?

Without an access to the OBJ is there any method to find out what size we have actually scanned?
Post 70 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MeshImages

When you order 2D Floor Plans from Blue-Sketch, @PetraSoderling includes the measures in SQ FT and SQ Meters at no additional charge.

Since you are a WGAN Standard Member, you get special savings on Blue-Sketch 2D Floor Plan services.

best,

Dan
Post 71 IP   flag post
Thanks, I will try Petra's blue sketch services.

But is there any FREE option to VERIFY the actual SQFT scanned since the free OBJ has been moved behind the Matterpak paywall for USD 49,00?
Post 72 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MeshImages

I could imagine that you could import the Matterport floor plan views into a CAD program and "shade in" the area that you want to measure and let the program do the area calculation.

In Matterport Workshop, measure a room or two so that you can provide that scale in the CAD program.

Does this solution work for your?

Best,

Dan
Post 73 IP   flag post
What I am trying to say is that, Matterport must rethink their decision on the OBJ.

They need the Pros, the realtors will never buy their camera and start scanning themselfs. These guys do a different kind of business.

But the Pros have a service concept which is based on the scanning of SQFT or SQM. The Pros must be able to verify what they have actually scanned.

Furthermore the free OBJ has always enhanced the technical creativity of the Matterport community.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@MeshImages
In Matterport Workshop, measure a room or two so that you can provide that scale in the CAD program.

This is too much work for everyday business. But it works for me, thanks Dan.
Post 75 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MeshImages

GREAT!

Hi All,

Other reasons that Matterport should grandfather in existing Matterport owners as it moves forward with charging?

Or, keep OBJ free and offer a higher quality OBJ in the bundle?

best,

Dan
Post 76 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

How does Matterport charging $49 for OBJ File affect you?

Best,

Dan
Post 77 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Matterport won't be grandfathering anyone. A la carte pricing for the OBJ was on the table, it's now off. It's my hope that slow adoption of MatterPak would inspire a conversation about reintroducing the OBJ as a low price single download option. Seems that it would generate more revenue.
Post 78 IP   flag post
ELAN42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Hi All,
How does Matterport charging $49 for OBJ File affect you?

Best,
Dan

In our case, we had an agreement with a customer with 53 spaces, that now will have to pay
2597$ to get his OBJ. Because this was not in our contract, this will be removed from our earnings.
So we worked for 3 months almost for free.

Consider also that we are European, and this behaviour is illegal in Europe.
A Newsletter is not considered legal to communicate contractual changes between a company and it's customers.

I am not American so I don't follow Matterport as you do.

I have a few questions:
- isn't Matterport quoted at the stock exchange? did this bad decision influence their value? it should ...
- did some of you thought of organizing a class action against this ?
- did some of you thought of buying a few % of Matterport at the stock exchange to try to influence their decisions ?
Post 79 IP   flag post
@ELAN42, Matterport is still working in start-up mode and it is not listed in any stock exchange.

Precisely, the reason Matterport is doing all kind of weird "strategic" movements is to improve their position when and if they go to the market with an IPO.

Of course they think that their move is the right one....I donĀ“t

Purchasing Matterport stock? No thanks! These guys knnow a lot about technology but I am not so sure they are as good when it comes to business strategy.
Post 80 IP   flag post
101421 95 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?