Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.obj.XYZAECMatterport MatterPakPricing

$49 for OBJ File Thank You Matterport6066

Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user

Happy 2018 to all. Fantastic news from Matterport this morning pay only $49 to receive your sic High resolution OBJ file (.obj) Same OBJ file that you could obtain earlier.

So what does this mean we have to pay for the OBJ, just as we pay FOR OUR WORK to get stitched that we don't ever own, our work that we captured on our Matterport camera that we bought with our money, and using our time and resources to build a business, that is clearly not ours but just visionless Matterports. How long are we going to let this go on people? The violins have started to play early in 2018 and the woman and children are moving to the boats, the matterport iceberg is on course.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Andyh2o2 private msg quote post Address this user
What alternative solutions are there out there?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
We have noticed that:

As part of this new automation process, OBJs will only be available with the MatterPak™ Bundle. MatterPak™ Bundles (with all commercial assets) will be available for any Matterport Space created on or after December 13, 2017. Matterpak™ Bundles for Spaces created before December 12, 2017 will only contain the OBJ file (no additional assets).

Means user can't get the free OBJ file anymore from Matterport now, right?

But don't worry about it JuMP team can make it, turn any Matterport showcase mesh file to OBJ file.
PM JuMP if you have requirement of OBJ file.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
Does this mean we can purchase the files that actually generate the 3D Tours?

And if not... Does this just mean that, if a client only wants the OBJ file from this bundle, the applicable price tag is still $49? What if the client is only interested in the Hi-Res floor plan? That's almost a quarter of the cost for a small job.

If I'm wrong about the latter, please disregard the following, but these are my thoughts...

I think it's a shame how Matterport is constantly changing/dictating terms in order to boost revenue for their own coffers, but have little consideration for their primary customers... 3D photographers. They don't even have the bravery to call this "Bundle" what it truly is (a piece of bad news) but rather pretends it's a favor.

There's no true innovation in their business model. Who's their CEO? If this continues, I predict Matterport will be eclipsed as another company with the same - if not better - technology comes along with a more thoughtfully tailored and creatively balanced business model.
Or... Maybe some MSPs come along and "unionize" other MSPs across associations/forums like this one, starting with an open letter to Matterport about our own demands.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping I can be factually corrected here.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
Hello everyone,

JuMP team want to contribute to the WGA forum and benefit all Matterport users by our knowledge.
Just like the JuMP-ME v1.0 for all of you to get the SQFT of Matterport showcase.

But due to the release of MatterPak™ Bundle, Matterport users can't download free OBJ file now.
And our JuMP-ME v1.0 is based on the OBJ file that users downloaded from Matterport.
So you may not be able to use JuMP-ME v1.0 anymore.

Our management team decide:
We will develop a software(online or offline depend on the reaction from Matterport).
This software will transfer any Matterport showcase to standard OBJ file with all textures.
This software will be free for at least 1 year.

Before we release the software we want to get the support from WGA members and all Matterport users.
Please send email with title: "We support JuMP team!" to [Private Message Us].

Just send a support email to us, we will return you the software.
We want to get more than 1000 support emails before we release it.
Thank you all.

JuMP team from Beijing, China
Post 5 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is the completely wrong decision to move the formerly free obj to this expensive package.

Many innovative 3rd party services have built their services on this free obj. The free obj is an important part of the Matterport product.

The decision to move the free obj to the costly Matterpak package destroys the 3rd party services community.

But for me and my clients these 3rd party services make Matterport a fascinating and sympathetic product.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
At the very least they should be providing us with total square footage scanned. Most MSP charge by sqft and relied on the .OBJ file to make those calculations. I though I had read a news letter last year saying they were going to start including the measurements?
Does anyone else remember that or am I wrong?
I am not sure why the make it so hard or expensive for us to get the information we need to run a successful business.
I guess they want us to at least buy the floor plans for that information.
I wonder what Google Street View conversion will cost after the beta?

I know they are a business and need to make money, but if I constantly nickel and dimed my customers they would not be customers for long!
Post 7 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
This is not the first time that Matterport moves against 3rd party service providers.

They still don´t understand that an open innovation system is much more convenient than the closed model they are embracing.

They have the right to do it, and still they have a good product to support it and to stop a lot of us from going elsewhere, but in technology this can change in any minute.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
At the very least they should be providing us with total square footage scanned. Most MSP charge by sqft and relied on the .OBJ file to make those calculations. I though I had read a news letter last year saying they were going to start including the measurements?
Does anyone else remember that or am I wrong?
I am not sure why the make it so hard or expensive for us to get the information we need to run a successful business.
I guess they want us to at least buy the floor plans for that information.
I wonder what Google Street View conversion will cost after the beta?

It is like they are squeezing the only orange they have in the refrigerator to get some juice. They are thirsty, but they can´t get enough income to purchase more, so the decision is "hey, let´s squeeze that orange a little more to see if we can get a few additional drops".

We, my MSP friends, are the oranges left in the refrigerator. And with this policies I am sure that they won´t get a lot of additional oranges in the future.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuMP
Hello everyone,

JuMP team want to contribute to the WGA forum and benefit all Matterport users by our knowledge.
Just like the JuMP-ME v1.0 for all of you to get the SQFT of Matterport showcase.

But due to the release of MatterPak™ Bundle, Matterport users can't download free OBJ file now.
And our JuMP-ME v1.0 is based on the OBJ file that users downloaded from Matterport.
So you may not be able to use JuMP-ME v1.0 anymore.

Our management team decide:
We will develop a software(online or offline depend on the reaction from Matterport).
This software will transfer any Matterport showcase to standard OBJ file with all textures.
This software will be free for at least 1 year.

Before we release the software we want to get the support from WGA members and all Matterport users.
Please send email with title: "We support JuMP team!" to [Private Message Us].

Just send a support email to us, we will return you the software.
We want to get more than 1000 support emails before we release it.
Thank you all.

JuMP team from Beijing, China

You might want to lower that number Unless you are giving away free iPads, that's a pretty high number!

Good luck with your endeavor! I started work on this last night as the tour itself contains a protobuff file containing the mesh used in the tour and I figured it was worth looking into. As I am no expert in 3D, Three.js, or any of the necessary skills to actually do this, I'm thrilled to see someone else looking into it
Post 10 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mind to pay 100$ for the Raw Data...But simply taking the standard quality assets and placing them in a bundle for 49$ is a very bad move for all current MP service providers. There are many other low-cost scanners that will come to market in 2018. Now that you have to pay 69+$ for a space with the data, I guess there is now considerable value in building a similar cloud-based solution that turns data into meshes. Time to explore new solutions in 2018 !
Post 11 IP   flag post
The mesh used in the Showcase is of much lower resolution and is worthless IMO. (50K instead of 200K)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasMorency
The mesh used in the Showcase is of much lower resolution and is worthless IMO. (50K instead of 200K)

Actually, not true!

Each tour has a 50k and a high quality MESH in its bundle of files loaded by Showcase. The .dam files contain the vector information, then the JPG images contain the textures.

The OBJ file has 2048x2048 JPGs with all texture information -- the same size JPG is present and accessible for someone reverse engineering.

For one tour -
The 50k DAM file is 1.44MB
The full DAM file is 9.18MB
The ZIPPED OBJ file w/o textures is 6.81MB

Based on my research, the OBJ is available and JuMP can convert the runtime MESH into an OBJ with similar quality.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Good to know ! @Metroplex360

Where can we see the 200K OBJ in the showcase?
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@NicolasMorency You can see the full resolution mesh result(full DAM file)on our website.

http://www.iit3d.com/dam/index.html?id=Re2dgaSVCRj

Change the "id=****" to your Matterport showcase number.

You must use Chrome browser under windows system and you must install and turn on below addon to your Chrome browser to make my code working. It is a "CORS policy" trick.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nlfbmbojpeacfghkpbjhddihlkkiljbi

The full size DAM file isn't used for showcase because it is too big.
We believe it equals to the OBJ file that you downloaded for free from Matterport before.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Misnomer. The .obj file never was free. We all paid the price for scanning equipment, monthly hosting and processing fees and of course, the time, effort and expense that goes into marketing for, gaining a client, getting to and scanning/post-work of a property. Lets call it what it is.... the price just went up. I really do appreciate the work and some aspects of the new Matterpak, but to be double charged for the honor of actually what... accessing the content/.obj files I scanned? LoL Geez, what you think we are MP... indentured servants mining content for you?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@RPOceanic I think the crummy thing is that the OBJ in another format is used in the tour. We're essentially paying for the rights to download it as an OBJ.

It would have been a pleasant surprise to have seen the panoramas in the the MatterPak too.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
I asked Matterport about what it would now cost an MSP to offer a client the OBJ file (or the Hi-Res Ceiling plan). Here's the answer I got for anyone who isn't 100% certain.

Hello Shakoure,

Thanks for contacting Matterport Support.

With regards to your question about Hi-res, they will need to order the whole pack.

What client will be happy about you passing the $50 price-tag on to them, just for a ceiling plan?
Post 18 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
Snap private msg quote post Address this user
I'm really disappointed with the approach they took. They should have at the very least gave us a heads up on the release date and fees. Now I have to decide whether to tell my prospective clients that their original quotes have been increased to include these fees or save face and eat the costs...not impressed...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuMP
We have noticed that:

As part of this new automation process, OBJs will only be available with the MatterPak™ Bundle. MatterPak™ Bundles (with all commercial assets) will be available for any Matterport Space created on or after December 13, 2017. Matterpak™ Bundles for Spaces created before December 12, 2017 will only contain the OBJ file (no additional assets).

Means user can't get the free OBJ file anymore from Matterport now, right?

But don't worry about it JuMP team can make it, turn any Matterport showcase mesh file to OBJ file.
PM JuMP if you have requirement of OBJ file.

@JuMP are you able to use point cloud data for your program? I don't think Matterport is currently charging for those files. I just sent them a message and waiting for confirmation on that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Snap Point cloud data is new area to JuMP team.

We have lots of programs, I am not sure which function do you mean for using point cloud data?
If you mean the JuMP-ME for SQFT, we can use the same data that Matterport used in Showcase to calculate the SQFT, OBJ is not be required anymore in JuMP-ME v2.0
If there IS dollview in Matterport showcase, we CAN get SQFT.
Matterport can't block it.

BTW Matterport blocked the access to the full size of mesh file and its textures this weekend.
We can't get full size and textured OBJ now, only 50K faces OBJ file can be provided.

Below link for full size mesh reference in my last post can't work by now.
http://www.iit3d.com/dam/index.html?id=Re2dgaSVCRj

We will change it to 50K mesh reference later.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@JuMP it was in reference to your SQFT program. I received a reply - they will also be charging for the point cloud data. It will be in included in the Matterpack Bundle...
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
I genuinely believe this is an attack on 3rd party services! Just as some more innovative solutions start coming out, and a service they promised years ago is able to be provided by a 3rd party they squash it.

I find it interesting that we pay a processing fee and this processing in now automated to make the point clouds which previously they had to do manually. "The auto-generated MatterPak™ Bundle will replace the current manually-generated Point Cloud Beta program." So now they are charging us on top of charges!

If they would work with 3rd party developers and let them produce results, Matterport would be so much more relevant, and they would see a much more substantial use base.

MATTERPORT QUIT ANNIHILATING YOUR OWN GROWTH!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@frstbubble this is exactly as you say. A lot of us have been saying this for more than a year, since the first symptoms of Matterport's "third party allergy".

It is a fact that open source innovation platforms are much better at producing results than closed systems, with the exception of Apple, which is the counter intuitive example, but the problem is that not everybody is Apple (everybody would like to be like Apple, but nobody knows how to do it).

Matterport is living from the dividends of an innovative and wonderful technology that has seen no real challenger in the last 3 years, but this cannot be sustained for much longer.

The essence of strategy is to build your strategic advantage of tomorrow while your competitors are trying to imitate the one you have today (Hamel and Prahalad).

Well, the problem is that sooner or later your competitors will reach you unless you do something about it, and I don´t see Matterport trying really hard. They seem more interested in milking the cow rather than looking for new ways to amaze their clients.

Perhaps I am not seeing the value in the new MatterPak and that´s why I am too critic, but my feeling is that the community was waiting for a different thing from MP. More openess, more third party involvement and the hope of amazing new features coming from a vibrant and very smart community of developers.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
It seems the issue is the short term vision that seems to plague our society in general. A lack of long-term thinking/a sustainable model. MP seems to be intent on utilizing any increased capability/value in their product to squeeze more from the clients they already have, rather than leveraging it to sell the utility of MP in attracting a much wider adaptation. (more from a few rather some from many) With their subscription model, adding adaptors, making Matterport THE universal solution is where it's at!

Just when I am seeing great possibilities collaborating with/promoting 3rd party risk takers who have enabled this tool in many ways regarding AEC... MP makes a move taking what little meat was on the bones for a MSP. Please help us help you... INCENTIVIZE & ENABLE MSPs... your greatest ally to go out and pitch you Matterport!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
Perhaps I am not seeing the value in the new MatterPak and that´s why I am too critic, but my feeling is that the community was waiting for a different thing from MP. More openess, more third party involvement and the hope of amazing new features coming from a vibrant and very smart community of developers.

If you use the OBJ file controversy to gauge how 2018 is going to be - you're setting pretty low expectations and will be quite pleased

The nail hasn't been put in the coffin concerning MatterPak and OBJ files. I'd like to believe that they are intending to stop producing the OBJ files that we've been downloading and have been working on generating better ones -- after all, the textures that are used by the OBJ file aren't even close to what they could/should be.

Amazing new features? 2018 is going to be hot.

#1) Matterport GSV (In private beta / ironing out some bugs)
#2) RoOomie Partnership (Announced)
#3) Mattertags for VR (Announced WIP)
#4) Matterport SDK - (re: Hexagon, RoOomie, AEC partnerships, Leica)

There are also new things coming for Showcase, Workshop and Capture in the works -- lots of initiatives mentioned in previous user surveys that are taking shape.

On Openness -- Matterport is moving towards more transparency. They've been announcing features earlier and earlier in newsletters and even announcing when things have gone into testing.
Post 27 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I completely agree with you.

And I would like to add

#5) Matterpak

as one of the amazing new features for 2018.

All of the features #1 to #5 have a tremendous business potential for all MSPs out there.

And if Matterport decides to leave the low res obj for free download, it will be a perfect start for 2018
Post 28 IP   flag post
Mimax_Solutions_Ltd private msg quote post Address this user
As a company we purchased the Matterport camera primarily for the obj files….the obj is used in conjunction with our existing measuring equipment and software. ( Flexijet / Flexicad... )

The processing fee of £20 per project was peletable for the obj, now being charged £70 per project for the obj …. Little harder to swallow…..
Post 29 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Mimax_Solutions_Ltd You are the exact type of user that I am most concerned about with this move. It effects you in a much larger capacity than others.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101635 95 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?