Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,031 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Affinity Photo EditorEditLightroomPhotoshopTraining

Affinity Photo Vs Lightroom6005

WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone used Affinity Photo for their photo editing?

When Adobe shifted Photoshop and nearly all of its other products to a subscription model in 2013, and now Lightroom, it prompted an outcry from customers who didn't want to be locked into a perpetual fee.

Anyone have any likes or dislikes to share as I look into my 3hr Lynda.com class to decide if Affinity Photo is worth this weeks sale price of $39.99.

I thought it was Mac only, I was wrong... Windows is available.
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I like photoshop. I am old.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gibbsboro, NJ
Radie842 private msg quote post Address this user
I use Lightroom, I have a adobe monthly subscription so I have a ton of adobe software for like 10. A month.
Post 3 IP   flag post
3DPLUS private msg quote post Address this user
Lightroom if you have a tons of photos. photoshop for specific photo
bytheway, check out my first attemp at scan 3D tour: https://360go.vn/here/homestay-cong-dong-nha-tui/
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
I have Lightroom Classic. It's ok, I'm not excited about perpetual fees in the future. Plus it takes forever to open up for Metadata & White Balance, switch over to Photomatix for compress, then bring back for final edits. Looking into Flamboyant and sky replacements for next year and Photoshop classes loose me. Another product in the perpetual fee I'm being cheap about. Good to see where everyone is at.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Chadcloses private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same issues with Lightroom and photoshop taking forever to load. Upgraded to a new IMac 27” with 40GB of memory and now I’m spending less than half the time editing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLT - I'll check out the trial. I really like their marketing.

-

Adobe's monthly pricepoint of $10/mo for Photoshop allowed me to finally purchase their products. Definitely get an SSD.

Also, if you use Lightroom, consider trying ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) if you own Photoshop. It's the same thing, same tools, just a streamlined interface that I personally find speedier without the hassle of libraries and tools that are more suited to portrait photographers. Lightroom drives me nuts.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLT - Very impressed with Affinity. The RAW editing is VERY slow for me - which is not good. the adjustments panel is neat, but I don't like how each tool necessitates a secondary window to tweak. Hopefully that'll change.

As a replacement for Photoshop - the tools work VERY well, the UI is VERY easy to navigate and immediately familiarize myself with. It supports PSD files perfectly (although Smart Objects do get rendered as raster layers -- likely using a built in PSD fallback).

A feature I found that I adore is that if I double click on a layer, it will zoom and fit the layer's content to the window. What a COOL feature.

I don't have any HDR photos left to play with as I purge my RAW files after my work is done -- but I'm curious to try their HDR merge, especially as it has a batch option.

This is VERY impressive. I'm none too impressed with people who tout "GiMP" as being the alternative to Photoshop. Much like Inkscape is to Illustrator - they just come off as an idealistic open source poor-man's version of the professional tools. Not Affinity. Affinity looks and feels like Photoshop if it were to invite its users to participate in the direction of designing and developing its tool.

I can see why you wanted to share this. It's excellent.

How fast is editing RAW files for you? My experience is awful and so slow that it's impractical. Everything else SCREAMS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
@Metroplex360 - Adobe Camera RAW looks like a great plugin to get the sense of Lightroom. I've had a difficult time getting used to Photoshop. I spend so much time learning about new products rather than using them and advertising.

So for now, I'm outsourcing my photo edits and looking at some privateer version of Adobe Master. My Lightroom and other programs are legit. Affinity had great intro with another Photo group having a couple people rave about it. One of the classes I watched seemed to have a lag. So yes It could have some slow downs that can make the product impractical.

The main focus is to have a program that can handle some sky replacements, green up some grass and introduce some flamboyant Photo layers for this next year so the windows don't look blown out. Photoshop feels like it needs a full blown college course to learn and use effectively.

I suppose speed is the biggest thing to watch at the moment before wasting anymore time watching classes about the program. Thank you for sharing your experience with Affinity.
Post 9 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I started out printing color in a darkroom. Photoshop’s basic tools work like that, so adapting to it was a logical transition (although I started with Laserpaint Color II, programmed in Israel.) understanding and being comfortable with photoshop mostly entails knowing which 96% of it does not apply to you and ignoring it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Photo Director has been a Great product for me for years now with a one time price of $39.99
Post 11 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
Although I have no experience with this. It's advertised as a free open source alternative to lightroom.clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
101421 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?