Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceCamerasCapture App

Extracting 360 images from ipad?5928

Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have a way or know where the 360 images are stored on the iPad that I can extract.

I have been trying to buy a 360 camera that has good image quality that doesn't break the bank. Everything I find is terrible, even the new instaone 360. I feel I spent almost 5k on a really good camera already, I should at least be able to access the images to use on whatever manor I want.

I habe no issue with jailbreak the iPad if need be.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23 It makes no sense that we cannot download full quality Matterport 360's!
Post 2 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Extracting images from the iPad would most likely not solve your problem. You will only receive the final version of the 360 photo after the model has been processed. Until then, the images you would extract would be 56 2d images. 3 HDR images from 3 cameras at 6 points for each scan which you then have to process and Stitch together.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a very high end stitching software that I would like to try stitching all these together on my own and see if I can get the quality I'm Looking for. If you could oint me in the right direction to find those files I'll update with results.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
So you were looking for a work around to Matterport services? Good luck,
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23

The Guide to 70+ 360º Cameras curated by We Get Around.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
Thanks Dan,

I saw this on the last post I posted from you. If you have any advice or suggestions I would love to direction. A list of a of 70 plus cameras doesn't really help much. Google does that for me.

I have done lots of research and purchased two but neither quality were very good. (Samsung and instaone 360) Also because I already spent almost $5k on a good camera I feel I should be able to use it in the manner I choose. I am not Trying to bypass matterport. But use my hardware in a matter I need.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@htimsabbub23

To help me make a recommendation of 360º cameras to look at, please let me know three ways that you would like to use them.

Among the 360º 1-click cameras I have are the Insta360 One. I could imagine a firmware update with HDR would make this a great under $300 camera. Is this the one you have too?

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23 I may be misunderstanding what you are asking, but you CAN extract the Matterport 360's to use for whatever purpose...

Do your scans.... Upload the Model. Open workshop. Load the 360 from the assets menu. Take a snapshot (make sure the top right toggle is to take a 360 snapshot, not a 2D snapshot). Close workshop. Download the 360.... now you have it to use it whatever manner you want...

Isn't this all that you're asking to be able to do?

Or what am I missing?

You just have to do it from a pc... not on your ipad.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
@Queen_City_3D I am looking to take the raw images from the iPad and stitch them together myself. I love the image quality I'm getting from matterport camera but for interiors of cars 2-3 rotations I am not paying them to host and processes 100 cars per week. One house would have more scans than 40 cars. I've reached out to matterport for help and special pricing but they were less than helpful and downright rude on the phone and email. So I want to use MY camera to capture the images and then extract the raw images from the iPad stitch them together myself.

@DanSmigrod firstly I apologize for the tone earlier as it was not supposed to come off harsh, but when I went back to read it, it does just that. I am still in the process of using it for interiors. I am willing to spend more money of the quality is superb. But I also feel I've already invested in a camera that is a step above the rest in most cases with the matterport.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

WGAN-TV: Garmin VIRB 360º Camera - Demo and Discuss with Kevin Kunze

WGAN-TV: Ricoh Theta 4K Presentation at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo | Day 1 | Video 17

WGAN-TV360º Video: Humaneyes Technologies CEO Shahar Bin-Nun on the Company’s VUZE 3D/VR/360º Camera

WGAN-TV: VUZE Camera Presentation at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo | Day 1 | Video 7
---

@htimsabbub23

Thank you. And, no worries.

While I do not have a Ricoh Theta V ($426), I would suggest looking at this one (because of HDR indoors). That said, a WGAN Forum Member returned his because of Bluetooth challenges.

We did a WGAN-TV Live at 5 on the Garmin VIRB ($700) (above). You might research if it offers HDR.

When I was at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo in May, I was impressed by the VUZE VR ($720). Above is a video interview I did with the Founder and his presentation at the Summit.

You might start WGAN Forum discussions on each of the Cameras you are interested in and your questions.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
@htimsabbub23 I can certainly appreciate why you wouldn't want to make separate 3d models for each as the hosting/processing wouldn't make it financially feasible.

That said... if you're just after the 360 photos and want to use the Matterport, wouldn't it be possible to start one new scan project and then take 360s in all the different vehicles within that same project? Obviously you couldn't use the 3D scan function which would capture data, but rather the 360 view scan function which just takes the 360 photo. Then you upload that one model (with all its associated 360 view scans) and take out the 360s in workshop. You should only be charged one upload fee. (better yet, do all the 360 view scans on a model you already have hosted and you shouldn't be charged a processing fee at all when you upload it a second time).

Wouldn't that work?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
@Queen_City_3D wWow, what a great option. It never crossed my mind to do it that way. I'll have to put some thought into that and see if I can make it work, but I dont see why not.
Post 13 IP   flag post
This has come up in the past and I just want to caution against the practice of reprocessing previous models to obtain "free" 360 photos. This could cause Matterport to re-evaluate their model reprocessing policy.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@JonJ If Matterport changed that policy it would be a logistical nightmare for them. Think of how many complaints they'd get everytime someone had to do a minor tweak to deal with trim marks or items of that nature.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
I agree or Maybe they would rethink how they charge for them!

I plan on doing 10 cars a week per dealership. I'll pay one upload fee per dealership per week. And do all 10 cars within that one model. I think that'd plenty fair.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@htimsabbub23 I'd say that's more than fair. I'd call that generous on your part. If it was me I'd be doing them all on one upload.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by htimsabbub23
@Queen_City_3D I am looking to take the raw images from the iPad and stitch them together myself. I love the image quality I'm getting from matterport camera but for interiors of cars 2-3 rotations I am not paying them to host and processes 100 cars per week. One house would have more scans than 40 cars. I've reached out to matterport for help and special pricing but they were less than helpful and downright rude on the phone and email. So I want to use MY camera to capture the images and then extract the raw images from the iPad stitch them together myself.

@htimsabbub23 Your iPad does not contain usable imagery from the tour and all processing takes place on my.matterport.com (Matterport Cloud) -- it's 100% worth it to pay their fees just for processing.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @JonJ
This has come up in the past and I just want to caution against the practice of reprocessing previous models to obtain "free" 360 photos. This could cause Matterport to re-evaluate their model reprocessing policy.

Yes. I can imagine that Matterport had not anticipated this use case: shooting 360º Views everyone and including in the SAME model and reprocessing free.

I can also imagine that this is an edge use case: a tiny amount of unintended consequences.

That said, it's likely that Matterport needs to stay focused on generating revenue: not devote any resources for a tiny, tiny, tiny number of Pros that might shoot 360ºs everywhere and then process in one model. While Matterport could stop this practice in a ton of different ways, it is super-unlikely that they would stop offering free reprocessing.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
While I believe that most of us would not take advantage of this edge case. There are those among us that will exploit this vulnerability and create entirely new models from previous uploaded scans. Or they may duplicate an existing model, erase all scans and start a new project. In my mind, this is potential a huge hole on their revenue model.

Just a thought...
Jon J
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23 - I bought a program awhile back called Imazing. I was trying to find another way to back up tours off the Ipad without having to do a whole new backup in the Ipad.

The program is great for pulling items off the Ipad. But when you get to the Matterport files, They're a mess. Difficult to find consistency in finding the next scan.

I could share a file with you, but I think the strategy shared by @Queen_City_3D is an easier approach.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Adamsgame private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by @JonJ

Yes. I can imagine that Matterport had not anticipated this use case: shooting 360º Views everyone and including in the SAME model and reprocessing free.

I can also imagine that this is an edge use case: a tiny amount of unintended consequences.

That said, it's likely that Matterport needs to stay focused on generating revenue: not devote any resources for a tiny, tiny, tiny number of Pros that might shoot 360ºs everywhere and then process in one model. While Matterport could stop this practice in a ton of different ways, it is super-unlikely that they would stop offering free reprocessing.

Happy holidays,

Dan

This solves the problem does it not? Just scan 10 cars in 360. Then upload each new set of 10 under the same Matterport scan for free. Am I missing something?
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is very fair if you are doing 10 cars at 1 dealership that you could do them all under one scan and process it, then pull the 360's and stitch and use as needed. Very fair for Matterport and fair for MSP seeing how it is the same location.
Post 23 IP   flag post
101429 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?