Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidAppsCapture AppiOS

Matterport Capture Android App?5919

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Matterport is either working on - or will work on - a Matterport Capture Android app. That's my interpretation after reading this Matterport job description today (Friday, 8 December 2017).

Engineering Manager, Capture Devices

The Role

We’re looking for a mobile device expert to lead the mobile development teams(iOS and Android) here at Matterport. The teams are responsible for developing our capture applications and solutions. You will be responsible for both the day to day management of Matterport's capture device teams, managing against a roadmap of deliverables, and as a domain expert, contributing significant expertise to the design and direction of our capture strategy.

The ideal candidate will have significant expertise in mobile development, and has previously managed teams of developers.

Responsibilities

✓ Manage developers working on iOS and Android technologies
✓ Manage teams’ priorities and deliverables
✓ Work with product managers to help develop, refine and deliver to an agreed-upon product roadmap
✓ Responsible for growing the team, and managing team performance

Your thoughts?

Happy holidays,

Dan

P.S. Here are all 29 Matterport Job Openings posted here, including:
Post 1 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
An Android Capture app is long due.

I know some believe that due to the stability of the iOS environment, and the fact that the Capture iOS app works so well, there is no need to develop the Android counterpart, but considering that Android has 82% of market share worldwide, it makes total sense to me.

The problem with the US-centric way of thinking is that you believe that the rest of the world is exactly the same, but it is not. In fact, sometimes we consider different alternatives

Take a look at this image:

Post 2 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Wait... who is "you"? It would be a similar line of reasoning to assume everyone in the U.S. is exactly the same as well..... even more so that Apple is US-centric are all using IOS as 53% in the U.S. utilize Android. Which of course ought to be plenty of motivation MP to include an Android version.
Post 3 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
@RPOceanic by "you", in the context of my line of reasoning, I meant those that have a US-centric way of seeing the world. Not everybody, of course.

Perhaps I should have said: "The problem with those that have a US centric way of seeing the world is that they believe that the rest of the world is exactly the same, but it is not. In fact, sometimes we consider different alternatives"

I didn´t mean to include everyone in the same group, of course.

And yes, even if "just" 53% of the US population utilize Android, this is more than a reason to include it in the Matterport portfolio of applications.

Who knows, perhaps this Matterport's obsession with Apple is just the consequence of a die hard fan of Apple taking decisions
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
If Matterport create an Android version of Capture, they would be able to also create their own branded tablet that is optimized for capture.

In addition, it would be possible for Matterport to embed Capture into a Pro 3 camera, although addition of an LCD Screen and additional battery pull might cause issues. The Pro camera is already a little computer that does quite a bit of the heavy lifting before it sends imagery over to our tablets.

Imagine if capture was running on a screenless Android version of capture internally that we could interface with using capture app. You'd kill the data transfer time needed, which would speed up scan time by 5-8 seconds per scan...

Lots of interesting ideas could happen with the openness of Android. I do imagine that the most likely reason is to get Capture running on Android so as to better penetrate other markets.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
Lots of interesting ideas could happen with the openness of Android. I do imagine that the most likely reason is to get Capture running on Android so as to better penetrate other markets.

Thanks for the insight. As Matterport expands globally, likely that they will need to offer a Matterport Capture app for Android.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
101646 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?