Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.htaccessMaskingVanity URLWP3D Models

www fwd - vanity URL with masking5645

Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
I have a client that I´ve used WP3D to setup a single property website, but when I tried setting up the www forwarding with masking it just returned a 500 server access error. When I turned of the masking it works.

I want www.S41.no to redirect to http://www.3dscann.co.uk/3d-model/sandasveien-41/skinned/ - and I want the S41.no URL to remain in the browser.

Does anyone know exactly how to do this with .htaccess file ?

Also, following that question:
s41.no also has an old joomla website installed, do I need to remove it ? (I kind of don´t want to in case I mess up something with this redirect)
And should I keep the cpanel www fwd config in addition to editing the .htaccess ?

I realise this question is probably more suitable for a webdev forum, but I figured someone might have done similar stuff when setting up singleproperty websites.

Cheers,
Robin
Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
@rpetersn help ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
@RobinLycka - Thanks for the message here. With re: to "Forwarding with Masking" we (@WP3D) don't recommend this approach for various SEO and mobile-friendliness reasons.

We talk about this a bit more here:
https://wp3dmodels.com/doc/adding-custom-domain/

At the time of posting, it appears that you have "s41.no" forwarding and all is working correctly.

With all of that said/disclaimed, you mention getting into some custom configuration of an .htaccess file. For those with the technical chops, this approach might be possible. But (also as you note) is somewhat advanced and likely more suited for a webdev/hosting-type post. The answer will be specific to your hosting/server configuration and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

If you are so inclined, this article might provide a solution if you felt like doing some experimenting:

https://www.brontobytes.com/knowledgebase/202/htaccess-URL-Masking-Examples.html

Note that they too mention the SEO caution re: this approach.

Hope this helps some!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
@rpetersn Thanks!

Yes, the forwarding works, but we´d like the url to remain masked. We´re not too worried about the "dirty code" and seo issues as the site will be alive for 4 weeks tops. And all visitors will be attracted from social media channels.

I´ve tried several .htaccess rewrites, but can´t seem to get it to work.

Thanks again for your reply though!

BTW - The client loves the single property website

I highly recommend WP3D to anyone with a wordpress site!

/Robin
Post 4 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Thx @RobinLycka!

One other approach you might consider for a quick one-off like this is to just assign that domain name to a folder on your webserver and then copy/paste the generated HTML from WP3D into a simple "index.html" page that is being served from that directory/domain.

Obviously this isn't even remotely ideal as a long-term approach, but for a quick one-off, it might work...once all of the content is fully approved/etc.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
@rpetersn I thought about that, but do you think it´ll be responsive ?

I´ll give it a shot.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101421 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?