Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17ScanningScans

Google Street view starting location5572

Prism3DTours private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all,

I have a quick and most likely simple question. I can't figure out how to select the starting location in the Google Street View Android app. Can anyone help with this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Upload a single photosphere and you have both the starting point and the ending point. Google doesn’t allow you to set a starting point with the app or API. They think that their algorithms will know better in selecting the right photosphere to start. There is a hack with GoThru to remove he PlaceID from connected photosphere to only show the one or two that can be entry points.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Prism3DTours what @TrustedPhotoDC just said.

And, incase you were wanting to hear opinion, not just facts:

#1) Setting a starting point used to be possible. It's not now. That's stupid.
#2) The algorithms should be opt-in and offered as suggestions, not forced.
#3) I'm extremely impressed that you are attempting to do this via the Street View App.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV Live at 5: Google Street View "Wish List"

@Prism3DTours

WGAN-TV Live at 5 recently did a Google Street View "Wish List" program that included @TrustedPhotoDC and @Metroplex360

You may find this episode helpful and interesting.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
MagnaShow private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I am a bit inquisitive about how the whole "google street view / business view" works. I watched the video "WGAN-TV Live at 5: Google Street View "Wish List," but I still don't understand the differences. If I understand anything at all, I know that for someone to post anything from pictures, 360 photos, or an inside business view, you must be a trusted google photographer.

Referring to the video I mentioned above, I have noticed that having the title "google certified photographer" doesn't mean much anymore. I also have come to this same conclusion since a lot of local businesses in my area are becoming "google certified" almost overnight.

This leads me to my next question, how do I become google certified? I did my research, but its very difficult to get a definitive answer. All I read about is posting to the google street view app about 50 360 snapshot models (of I don't know what exactly.. could this be anything at all?) on the app. These snap shots can be taken from your phone or devices that support the merging of google maps and camera software used to develop the picture.

I am super confused here. I would really appreciate help from the "we-get-around family" in explaining the "exact" process of how to become a certified photographer for google. And if that is the only way to have the ability to post a google business view for local businesses in my area. I have been a MSP for the past 2 years now, but I'm frustrated that new small businesses are beating me to getting local businesses scanned to google inside view. What exactly does it take to achieve such status and how can I be the individual to help my local business acquire an inside view of their business.

If there has been a post about this already or other links to help answer these questions, that would be amazing!

Please Help! Thanks Everyone!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I am currently experimenting with a Ricoh Theta S loading up to google maps as Local Google Guide and my observation is that Google publishes the orientation of the spherical image relative to the center of the pano.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@MagnaShow - You no longer need to be a Trusted Photographer / Certified Photographer / Trusted Photographer / Confused Photographer -- Everything is now run from the Local Guides program.

You add Photos and Videos directly to Google Maps and you receive points to your 'Local Guides' Account, which is linked to your Google Account. You can also upload panoramas (360 Snapshots)

To create a Google Street View tour with links between panos -- you will need to use an application that can create links between panoramas and add the required metadata to your files. This is where services like GoThru, TourMake and PanoSkin come in -- or, if the Google Street View App -- or Garden Gnome Software's Pano2VR for Windows/Mac/Linux. These applications allow you to 'moderate' your tour by making connections between each panos.

GoThru, TourMake and PanoSkin will also provide you with a hosted Non-GSV based viewer that can be embedded on websites. Pano2VR will also build a tour that you can upload to your own web space.

To become 'certified', like you said, you submit a large number of panos and your Local Guides ranking will increase. There is no longer a certification - just different levels of Local Guides.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonvanzweel
@Metroplex360 I am currently experimenting with a Ricoh Theta S loading up to google maps as Local Google Guide and my observation is that Google publishes the orientation of the spherical image relative to the center of the pano.

Be careful as GPS is not always accurate and the Theta S uses the phone's GPS -- thus it's really wherever you were standing when you 'hid' from the camera.

I have a Ricoh Theta S also and found that the image quality was just NOT good. I'd rather use Matterport 360 Snapshots if I had to make the choice.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
@MagnaShow - You no longer need to be a Trusted Photographer / Certified Photographer / Trusted Photographer / Confused Photographer -- Everything is now run from the Local Guides program.

You add Photos and Videos directly to Google Maps and you receive points to your 'Local Guides' Account, which is linked to your Google Account. You can also upload panoramas (360 Snapshots)

To create a Google Street View tour with links between panos -- you will need to use an application that can create links between panoramas and add the required metadata to your files. This is where services like GoThru, TourMake and PanoSkin come in -- or, if the Google Street View App -- or Garden Gnome Software's Pano2VR for Windows/Mac/Linux. These applications allow you to 'moderate' your tour by making connections between each panos.

GoThru, TourMake and PanoSkin will also provide you with a hosted Non-GSV based viewer that can be embedded on websites. Pano2VR will also build a tour that you can upload to your own web space.

To become 'certified', like you said, you submit a large number of panos and your Local Guides ranking will increase. There is no longer a certification - just different levels of Local Guides.

Much thanks for providing this level of detail. Seems like this Google Trusted Photographer comes up a lot. It's great to have clarity on this GSV.

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
MagnaShow private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you so much for the advice, you all were very helpful!
Post 10 IP   flag post
101436 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?