Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MuseumsSchools

Scanning a school543

AerialMG private msg quote post Address this user
I was asked today to scan a school, a very large school. Just wondering if anybody has scanned a large building and there thoughts on it. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
swpre private msg quote post Address this user
Do it for free. Be respectful of any security requests from the school

SWPRE gifts 20% of revenues to nonprofits (before commission payments to realtors). We encourage buyers, sellers and other realtors to match our gift. A $1,000,000 sale can generate from $6K-$36K in gifts. It can add up fast. Introductions and recommendations appreciated. Real Estate Philanthropy FAQs: http://swpre.com/?p=18948

Best always,

g
George Alexander, MPA
Owner Broker, SOUTHWEST PARTNERS | GLOBAL PARTNERS INTERNATIONAL REALTY
Chair, REAL ESTATE PHILANTHROPY
M +1 713.918.9951
O +1 979.421.9996

Referrals are real estate’s life blood. Our only geographic limits are US State Department based. We appreciate your support.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yep I've done a few large ones. Only issue will be the overall size. Most likely 20,000+ Sq ft.
If you can, measure out the building first. That will let you know if it's possible.
Matterport won't stitch multiple scans
Post 3 IP   flag post
How many total scans can you do, 200 or can I contact matterport to do more. Maybe if it's two stories I could do each floor as a separate tour
Post 4 IP   flag post
They support up to 200. Usually for this you will have a house around 7500 - 1200 Sq ft (ish)

What I would recommend is doing 1 floor and see how many scans you have. At that point duplicate your model and go upstairs. If it starts crashing, you can delete the first floor and keep going. This way you gave a chance of doing both together, but also a backup incase it doesn't work
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Just like Jamie said I contacted Matterport on one of there referrals, 200,000 square foot. They confirmed the cap was 200 scans, no square footage, but they would definitely NOT stitch models together. My suggestion is if you can break down your school to under 200 per floor and keep your models broke down like that you should be fine. If it does not have multiple floors break your scans down to where the individual models work independent of each other and logically represent the school. In some cases easier said then done.

Ron
Post 6 IP   flag post
jessetutt private msg quote post Address this user
Here is one I did.

I did just the main areas and it worked out just fine.

http://www.3dscanexperts.com/virtual-tour/st-francis-of-assisi-middle-school-3d-virtual-tour/

Jesse
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@AerialMG

I have created Matterport 3D Showcase tours at many schools, including these at Kennesaw State University near Atlanta.

I am comfortable shooting up to 20,000 sf in one model. Beyond that, I manage clients' expectations that Matterport supports up to 10,000 sf. I typically shoot 400+ scans; duplicate the model and then delete scans until I am under 200 scans.

For 200,000 sf, I believe it would be doable within Matterport VR (only) by capturing a single path (ala Google Street View) without regarding to dollhouse/floor plan view.

For a 40,000 sf construction project, we delivered it as two models.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod
For the larger jobs are you using a 1st or 2nd Gen camera? Also ipad air, ipad mini? What's the combination?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie Today, we use a second generation camera with an iPad Air 2.

I shot the KSU models with a first generation camera and iPad Air 1 (and an early version of the Capture app).

It is so much easier, faster and reliable today.

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod
I found the same thing
1st gen ipad air had lots of issues on a 20,000
2nd Gen newer ipad mini had no problems

MP said there is no difference between 1st and 2nd Gen. Hmm
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Boise, Idaho
360Idaho private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Jamie,
When your doing large open areas how far apart can each scan be?
Looks like they're much further apart then in residential homes.

~Ken
Post 12 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
@kenjblair you shouldn't do larger than 5m apart. Also remember that you cannot scan in the middle of large empty space (20x20m). The camera needs some kind of vertical reference point else it gets confused and doesn't know where the scan is in relation to other scans.
Post 13 IP   flag post
so i tried scanning the school the other night and had all sorts of problems, I was using a ipad mini 2 and about 70 scans in the ipad started to crash on every scan. So i got a ipad air and the same thing was happening. I was able to get a hold of customer support, but had no success in the end. I ended up doing 5 different models. This is the first model when it started crashing https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=9uCBmHFG1dZ

Please if anybody else has had this problem let me know, i have another school to do this weekend and would like to do it in just two models.

p.s. Did this on Saturday night and matterport customer support was awesome
Post 14 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Used to have this problem with the older version of the capture app. I assume you fully updated?
Post 15 IP   flag post
at the time the ios was at 8.3 and the app was the lastest version
Post 16 IP   flag post
Standard
Medford, OR
KevinD private msg quote post Address this user
@jessetutt Did you use the method that Dan suggests where you over-scan to build the model and then delete scans to get below 200 total?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Andrew private msg quote post Address this user
@jessytutt iPad mini and iPad Air - same gadjet, only screen diagonal is different. Try to use iPad Air2. Had the same problem. Air2 fixed it. https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/517/scan-problem-2500sqm/
Post 18 IP   flag post
I am buying a Ipad air 2 today and am going to give it a shot, KevinD never got over 70 scans before it started crashing
Post 19 IP   flag post
101429 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?