Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BuyCamerasCUPIXRicoh Theta SVersus

Matterport Platform Versus [Open Platforms]5407

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

How does the Matterport Platform compare visually to open platforms that use 360º photo spheres?

This Dropbox contains 360º photos spheres shot about every two feet of this hotel suite that I also did the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour (above). I also included some still images shot with my iPhone and some Matterport Snapshot images.

The 360º photo spheres were shot with a Ricoh Theta S set to HDR.

If you agree to post your test results to this discussion - or a new discussion in the WGAN Forum - Private Message me for the Dropbox password.

Best,

Dan

P.S. 50 MPH winds expected shortly in Atlanta (Monday, 11 September 2017. My wife and I are riding out IRMA in this "living room suite" this week. I did the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour - and 360º photo sphere shoot - yesterday before my wife headed over to the hotel.
Post 1 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I am still of the opinion, that with joined forces we could build an open fair and better solution.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
There are no open platforms that automatically map panoramas in a 3D space and create transitions that simulate distance.

The way for an open platform to exist would be a web based tour maker that like Matterport is based on Three.js. The tour could operate on a 2D plane IN 3D and the UI would allow panos to be placed on a map. The final outcome would look similar to Google Street View.

I considered building a proof of concept as an iGuide hack as they have a map with panos placed that I could piggy back on... but ... in the end, I just ended up respecting Matterport's product more. I couldn't get anywhere with Three.js. My brain is not in 3D
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Perhaps instead of "Open Platforms" ... I should say compare to "Other Platforms" ...

By the way, here's a link to the Matterport Space created with WP3D Models Wordpress Plugin. I used the "long" video generated automatically by Matterport.

Among the reasons that I WP3D Models is that you can have a looped video play and when you hit the play button, you go to the Matterport Space.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mori
@Metroplex360

Here is an example of CUPIX using the 360º photo spheres I took using a Ricoh Theta S Camera set to HDR:
https://players.cupix.com/p/J9IimalE

Note that there is an opportunity to adjust the color and other settings (I did not make any changes). It took a couple hours after the upload for the 3D Tour to be available.

Dan

Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A related WGAN Forum discussion:

Alternative for confidential tours - CUPIX

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
101433 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?