Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17

Google Street View unbrands Client Tours5374

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongeis

My sense is that the developers (Go Thru is the one I'm most aware of) are doing what they can with what the API has to offer.

Very true! The API is very very basic and mainly functions as an upload API. The positioning and relationships of and between submitted panos are wholly dependent on meta data which is generated from all of the visual tools custom created by GoThru. Additionally, tools to debug and fix unexpected incomplete publishing were creatively built to mitigate the publishing issues that have been reported.

It is quite incredible to imagine the lengths that GoThru and other publishing platforms have gone through to provide an end to end solution.

I find it curious that at the end of the day, any potential publishing platform essentially has the task of reinventing the wheel in order to compete. Go Thru is essentially better than the Business View system but lacks a few features such as automatically positioning and joining panoramas using photogrammetry. This killer feature is still sort of available if using the gsv app, but I have yet to figure out a meaningful workflow to use the two together.

Quote:

My primary pain point at the moment is the slow loading (at least 10 seconds for the initial view for each pano) for all recent uploads.

I completely feel your pain here. This is very very difficult to explain to customers and is awkward and very unGoogle.

Quote:

My first recommendation would be to show businesses (potential Ad Words customers) some respect and let them curate their business listings by allowing them to remove images from their Maps image carousel directly. If they don't like an image they should be able to simply click on it and select 'remove', no filling in a form and waiting.

Preach on! The idea of unceremoniously dumping all panos to the image carousel workout a simple and reliable way to set stay points or control the initial pose has effectively turned GSV from a professional product to an experiment with promise of using AI to sort this out.

Also, if the client deletes from the carousel in the way that we can from our contributions page, the panos would be deleted.

My concern with this would also be the burden placed on systems like GoThru to check for updates to the tour constantly.

If Google allowed this, then it would also open up the door to questions of what Google should provide tools for vs what they are off loading to the publishing platforms.

Imho, the API should empower companies like Matterport and iGuide who offer automation, but Google should have continued to offer a desktop/web publishing platform as the primary submission system. If they did this and relied on their own API, possibly even open sourcing it, it would be quite interesting.

Because honestly, should photographers need to care about this API and need to understand why their work is not... Working? No way! Quite a few people are struggling to manage their business due to the changes.

Me thinks that these changes were done due to upper management arbitrarily slapping a mandate for departments to merge and integrate without providing the necessary resources to do so.

Quote:
One hotel I worked with recently was visited by the Oyster photographer just before a major refit. So they now have over a hundred photos of how their hotel used to look on their image carousel. This helps no one.

Have you had customers request removal of tours and withheld payment for this? I have! They hate it and see this as a detrimental mess!!!!

Quote:
My wish list is long but the idea I mentioned above, adding the ability to customise the attributions and caption including custom links would perhaps be near the top of my list. This way images of public places could include a caption and link back to the photographer's website and images of businesses could have links to relevant pages on the business' website. This would have some SEO benefit, which would be a great sales tool for us, and I don't see any downside for Google. If this was only available through the API that would be fine, that way only pro's would be in a position to offer those features to clients.

I could go on for hours with recommendations and wishes but those items would be a good starting point.

Best,

Aaron

Thank you for sharing!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I sent invites this morning to:

Google Street View
@Alin
@Panoskin

All Forum Members that are publishing to Google Street View - and have recommendations for Google - are welcome to join this Roundtable too ...

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Good news ...

LCP360 ( @Panoskin ) CEO Wojciech Kalembasa will join the WGAN-TV Live at 5 Roundtable

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod I have been meaning to go check in to see how their platform is developing! Excited to take a look!

Last time I checked in, there was one reason I chose GoThru over panoskin and it was work flow related.
Post 29 IP   flag post
aarongeis private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Chris!

The worst I've experienced is shared disappointment with a couple of key clients.

I backed off actively pushing SV to potential clients some time ago as I really don't think I can show either a current tour with the silly load times or, in good faith, an older tour that loads quickly but I can't deliver at the moment.

One of my early career lessons was to not put all of my eggs in one basket but I quite liked having SV tours as one of the eggs. As much as I like a beautifully crafted custom tour I believe there's a lot to be said for the universally recognized SV UX, or rather there was. What we have now is not the universally recognized SV UX, it's an excruciating downgraded version and even the Google content jumps around confusingly.

I still want to believe though. I find if I say 'Virtual Tour' people may think I'm referring to a video walkthrough or a slideshow of still images but if I say 'Street View Tour' they know exactly what to expect. So with just a small application of resources (on Google scale), everyone in the world could have access to a recognized 360 immersive platform for publishing creative and commercial works.

I also think the 360 content is at a critical watershed. Within the industry, it's easy to think that there's good awareness of the 360 format and with Samsung running TV adverts for the Gear360 the public are taking some notice but, for many, it may seem like a bit of a gimmick with limited scope for creativity.

As a global leader, I believe Google is in an almost unique position to really show what the format is capable of and the move to allow access to everyone is a step in the right direction but they also need to recognize that talented content creators will gravitate to the system that provides quality, functionality, and reliability. With the SV system in the state that it's in the door is wide open for other players such as FB or Roundme to steal the show from Google.

On the one hand, I'm inclined not to care and just go with whatever is working at the moment but as I've been with the SVT program since it started in the UK it would suit me better to be able to continue with the same system with for the sake of continuity and consistency. So I'm hoping we'll see improvements soon.

Cheers,

Aaron
Post 30 IP   flag post

Frisco, Texas
@aarongeis Like you, GSV is one of those eggs too -- it's not my primary focus, but it has been an area for positive growth.

I do feel that the new system has made it more costly to offer due to lack of automatic positioning / linking with photogrammy and having to handle customers and manage expectations and creatively explain what it does.

I do think that if anyone was to launch a rival platform, it would be Facebook.
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN-TV Live at 5 Google Street View Roundtable is 5 pm ET on Friday, 15 September 2017.

Roundtable Participants

@aarongeis Aaron Geis Photography Photographer Aaron Geis
@alin -GoThru Founder and Photographer Alin Bugeag
@Metroplex360 - Metroplex360 Founder and Developer Chris Hickman
@Panoskin - LCP360 ( @Panoskin ) CEO Wojciech Kalembasa
@Panoskin - LCP360 ( @Panoskin ) CTO Tom Chomiak
@DanSmigrod – We Get Around Network Founder Dan Smigrod

@TrustedPhotoDC let me know he is trying to make the scheduling work so that he can participate.

We have invited Google Street View to participate as well.

Dan
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN-TV Live at 5 pm ET today (Friday, 15 September 2017) Google Street View roundtable participants includes:

@aarongeis Aaron Geis Photography Photographer Aaron Geis
@alin -GoThru Founder and Photographer Alin Bugeag
@Metroplex360 - Metroplex360 Founder and Developer Chris Hickman
@Panoskin - LCP360 ( @Panoskin ) CEO Wojciech Kalembasa
@Panoskin - LCP360 ( @Panoskin ) CTO Tom Chomiak
@TrustedPhotoDC - TrustedPhotoDC Photographer Chris Petracco

Host/Moderator: @DanSmigrod – We Get Around Network Founder Dan Smigrod

Discussion

1. Google Street View Challenges
2. Recommendations
3. Priorities

Watch today at 5 pm (GMT-4) on WGAN-TV.

Best,

Dan
Post 33 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Joining the roundtable (and now listed above too) ...

@TrustedPhotoDC - TrustedPhotoDC Photographer Chris Petracco

Dan
Post 34 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Ann example of @Metroplex360 transferring images to We Get Around Atlanta.

Dan

--

Post 35 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Still waiting 40 minutes later...

... but in the meantime, I have to give Google props for automatically selecting the start image facing directly at a wall (See below):

Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Would be nice to set the image to the entrance as you walk in with the signage ...

Dan
Post 37 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Attribution is still to me 12 hours later ... zzz...
Post 38 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Video: WGAN-TV Roundtable - Google Street View “Wish List”
Post 39 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Related WGAN Forum Discussions:

Google Street View unbrands Client Tours
Matterport to Google Street View Delayed ...
WGAN-TV Live at 5 (GMT-4)>Google Street View
Index of the 2017 Google Street View Summit (May 2017, Tokyo)

Best,

Dan
Post 40 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod - I transferred the rights to the [hotel] Atlanta GSV Tour to you on Friday. I thought I'd ask you here - if you received an e-mail to confirm? And if so, if you did that on Friday.

It's still attributed to me on Tuesday night.
Post 41 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Yes. I thought I clicked "Accept" on the email that I received from Google.

I just clicked on "Accept" again - in the Google Street View email below - and it does say "Success" ...

Dan

Post 42 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas

Looks like it's finally changed over -- however ... my name is still there.

Dan, how do you feel about the tour?

Note that each pano is in the image gallery and that the featured pano is a wall:

You also cannot walk out to the street anymore.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Hi guys,

Here's a thought: instead of potentially making a new G account for each client make one for all tours with the username 'Virtual Tour', or 'See Inside', etc.

That way you only have one account for SV publishing, and there are some reasons not to have that be your personal account anyway, and no worries about attribution.
Post 44 IP   flag post
MagnaShow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hi guys,

Here's a thought: instead of potentially making a new G account for each client make one for all tours with the username 'Virtual Tour', or 'See Inside', etc.

That way you only have one account for SV publishing, and there are some reasons not to have that be your personal account anyway, and no worries about attribution.

This makes me ask a question about how to advertise your photography business name? If you use another name such as "Metroplex360InsideView" instead of "Metroplex 360" wont that confuse people and mislead potential clients that want the same service? I want people to know "my business name" was the one who provided that particular business view.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I am super confused here. I would really appreciate help from the "we-get-around family" in explaining the "exact" process of how to become a certified photographer for google. And if that is the only way to have the ability to post a google business view for local businesses in my area. I have been a MSP for the past 2 years now, but I'm frustrated that new small businesses are beating me to getting local businesses scanned to google inside view. What exactly does it take to achieve such status and how can I be the individual to help my local business acquire an inside view of their business.

If there has been a post about this already or other links to help answer these questions, that would be amazing!

Please Help! Thanks Everyone!

P.S Making a video to explain the "for dummies guide" in how to be a google certified photographer and how to use Matterport (if possible) to create these business views for local businesses.

I also know Metroplex 360 use a Matterport camera since it shows of the reflection of the wall. I attached a picture to show what I see. I am assuming he took a snapshot in the "workshop editor" to have downloaded to maybe post.... (I don't know where to post or how.) I see how the scans can be done, but I cannot connect the dots in how to execute this works on my end as being a scan provider and on the businesses side when it comes to posting it on their google info.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@Metroplex360

Yes. I thought I clicked "Accept" on the email that I received from Google.

I just clicked on "Accept" again - in the Google Street View email below - and it does say "Success" ...

Dan

Are you both google certified photographers which allows you to do these tours on google? I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the topic, I am very interested in how this all works for MSP's to targeting local business wanting google street view. I know matterport allows MSP's to take snapshots using the "workshop feature" to download panoramas, but what happens after that? What is the process for when after downloading the panos to then achieve a delivered virtual tour on google for a business?

Picture is to show it was using matterpot, but I'm sure you knew already.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Hi MagnaShow,

Here's a link to Google's information on publishing to Street View Publish to SV

You'll notice that the Matterport camera isn't mentioned there. Currently, Matterport's ToS don't allow for Matterport imagery to be used on other systems (someone correct me if that not up-to-date) though there has been some talk of that becoming possible soon.

The one shot cameras like the Samsung Gear360 and Ricoh Theta are being used by some but most feel that the image quality isn't up to professional standards (also the cameras are so cheap potential clients may as well just buy a camera as pay you to shoot with one).

Most professional GSV shooters are using a DSLR with a fisheye lens and a rotator, then stitching the imagery with software such as PTGui.

You can then upload the images directly on a Google business listing using the 'Add a Photo' link and connect the images using the Street View app. Or you can use a third party editor such as GoThru to build the tours on a desktop.

When I'm shooting for my own clients I use my own attribution to direct people to my website.

Metroplex360 is doing some tour creation for others so he's interested in 'white-labeling' those tours as those businesses are his client's clients, rather than his own clients.

Hope that helps some,

Aaron
Post 48 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@MagnaShow - Exactly what @aarongeis stated. And yes, the tour that you reference WAS done with a Matterport Camera prior to Matterport asking me to stop offering my 'MP2SV - Matterport to Street View' service as it was a Terms of Service violation. 360 Snapshots CAN be used with GSV although the resolution is below the ideal size that Google recommends. I believe that those panos will not contribute to your Local Guides score.

Be patient - Matterport's solution will be here very soon and will be excellent and a VALUABLE time saver.
Post 49 IP   flag post
101436 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?