Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D Showcase

3D Tour alternative to MP for Industrial5297

Snap private msg quote post Address this user
I have been presented with a opportunity to scan equipment for a client. Matterport had precisely what the client needed except for the roadblock we encountered with ownership rights with proprietary equipment.

I have looked at every VR tour listed here but don't see Photogrammetry providing a seem less fully immersive tour experience.

I have no prior experience with the other tours, but from what I see they're quite choppy and difficult to navigate. I need to be able to create the tour so the audience can face the equipment in specific areas.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to simulate more of a smoother walk-through experience like Matterport with this technique?

Can it be done by doing more frequent scans in closer proximity to one another? Or is it more about the software? We also need to be able to add content anchors with the ability to ad links.

I'm really excited about what NCTECH will be releasing but who knows when I would be able to get my hands on one as I imagine there will be a waiting list...thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
SailAway private msg quote post Address this user
Where are you located?

I can share my experience with industrial as well. Please let me know what type of equipment and more detail on project as I have done several of them already. Will the link be pointing to video or picture?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hello @SailAway, I cannot disclose that information at the moment. I don't think the type of equipment or where I'm located, really has anything to do with the question at hand. Either it's possible or it isn't.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SailAway private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap
Hello @SailAway, I cannot disclose that information at the moment. I don't think the type of equipment or where I'm located, really has anything to do with the question at hand. Either it's possible or it isn't.

I'm not trying to be nosy at all, its just funny that the world can be small sometimes and NDA and none competes are implemented for a reason. Good luck.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
The transitions through the 3D mesh are specific for Matterport. As far as I know, for this there is no other solution in the market (maybe only nctechs colorcloud, which I could not try yet).

So, whenever I can not work with Matterport for whatever reason (size, rights, etc.) I first go for http://roundme.com , because its very handy for the user and a superfast solution for me too. For USD 50 per model you get a lifetime hosting solution with your own map and further customization.

Another solution for your specific industrial case could be http://holobuilder.com but I don't like their new business model, which is too expensive from my point of view.
Post 5 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Why should Photogrammetry work not in combination with a laser scanner?
You offer drone services as I understood. Faro or Leica should work fine.

Post 6 IP   flag post
tomasdunbar private msg quote post Address this user
I have encountered similar road blocks in the pharma sector. Privacy and where the scans are hosted is always the issue. I have got around this a couple of times by simply creating a password protected webpage for the client and signing non disclosure agreements. Doesn't create a solution to Matterport and privacy but has worked for me in the past.

Also if the client wants the 3D tour only for their own portfolio which happens in some cases and doesn't want to share it you can add them as a collaborator, they can login and download the Matterport 3D showcase app and download the models to be viewed offline. They can then delete the models from the Matterport hosting panel and they are no longer hosted, but still can be viewed offline on the iPad they use with the showcase app. Of course the data could be lost if the showcase app crashes but hasn't happened any of my clients yet.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hello @SailAway, my apologies for coming off a bit bold. I just didn't understand why location and equipment description would help in this case? Yes NDA and NC's are implemented for a reason but how is that applied in a public forum?

Thank you @MeshImages I like the layout on roundme, have you tried Kolor as well? Wondering who has the best virtual tour software? Which 360 camera do you use for those tours out of curiosity? And yes I see what you mean with holobuilder, quite expensive... This is really unfortunate, smooth transitions are really important in this case...

Thank you @mori, yes I offer drone services through a third party service so that is out of my scope unfortunately. I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to explain? I see the example you left but I don't understand how that would apply to creating a smooth walk-through transition in a tour?

Thank you @tomasdunbar, the issue lies with the fact that ultimately, Matterport owns these scans and whatever information is shared and can do whatever they please with them...once it's in their system it stays in their data base even if the scan is deleted from our end...this client has proprietary equipment and would love to utilize this tech but can't move forward with this if Matterport owns exclusive rights to their equipment unfortunately...Their lawyer looked at the T&C and Privacy and it's just bad news...they actually mention not to scan anything proprietary in there...so I'm not sure how to approach this...
Post 8 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
By a structure 3D camera that attaches to your i pad and you have their software in your computer and you have to figure out how to host it.
https://structure.io/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8Gj8CczHlwxYrdIJ4eBiAIUT1eV7PbrVquN-HtyM-PaF22J2kHrNBr5-UaAk9cEALw_wcB
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DouglasMeyers thank you, this is amazing. Some of this information is way out of my scope but I have reached out to them to see how or if this can be created into a fully immersive virtual tour.
Post 10 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@Snap: with a full 3D Photogrammetry & Laserscan based model, basically you need no transitions as you have a complete model of a space in 3D where you can have any viewpoint without any restrictions.

But you need a bigger machine and a fast fast GPU to view it in realtime, as there is much much more data to be displayed. With postpro of course then you could reduce this to a MP like experience, but then you need a lot custom work and a VR pro coder.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101432 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?