Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.objBrain TeaserObject File

Brain Teaser: Why 4 Floors When Only 2?5234

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: Courtesy of We Get Around Atlanta

Hi MatterPeep Masters,

Here's some background before the Brainer Teaser questions:

I scanned a Virtual Reality Agency loft in Atlanta Tuesday (15 August 2017).

✓ 273 scans
✓ 7 hours
✓ about 2,500 SQ FT

Brain Teaser

1. It's a 2 story loft: why did I create 4 floors in the Capture app?
2. This space could have easily been scanned in 2.5 hours. Some might say an hour. Why did I take 7 (by choice)?
3. What's the use case? Hint: our client cares about the data

Note: There is more than one right answer for use case (the client has two different uses).

Your answers by 5 pm ET this Friday (18 August 2017).

I will post the answers over the weekend.

Prize? Zip. Nada. Just fame among your MatterPeeps and and a shout-out during a WGAN-TV Live at 5 show

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
This scan will be used to create a virtual reality world which then they will overlay in a game to make it almost like AG. Dressing up any of the structure with unique disguises.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@htimsabbub23

Wow! You're great!

We will count this as one use. The client wanted a dense mesh to model in unity to create a game using their office. So, I scanned the Space the equivalent of 3-4 times normal.

1. What are other use cases for this same model? Client has at least one more use case.

2. It's only two levels. Why did I create four levels on my iPad and how did that affect the processing?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
does scanning more times really give:

1) a desnser point cloud? (well yes does sound logical)

2) a higher res OBJ file ? (this one i really am not sure, since MP control the meshing up of the point cloud to the OBJ)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't it be neat if Capture had a 'Expert Mode' that would provide feedback on how much NEW data was added to the mesh from each scan? I do not know if it's possible while scanning - but it would be interesting if while scanning this, messages like: '10 New Triangles Added' would have appeared in a console window.

My opinion on this scan is that the redundant scans did not always add more data to the mesh.

Dan, what might be nice is if you made a copy of this and removed half of the scans and then passed it along to one of our many 3D pros here to analyze the difference to see if scanning at this depth produces greater results - and if so, to what degree (A quantification).

What do you think?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Wouldn't it be neat if Capture had a 'Expert Mode' that would provide feedback on how much NEW data was added to the mesh from each scan?

That's cool. Hopefully, the AEC time will like (and lobby) for this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360

My opinion on this scan is that the redundant scans did not always add more data to the mesh.

Dan, what might be nice is if you made a copy of this and removed half of the scans and then passed it along to one of our many 3D pros here to analyze the difference to see if scanning at this depth produces greater results - and if so, to what degree (A quantification).

What do you think?

Great idea. Any takers?

--

@aerialpixels
@htimsabbub23

The Space is only two levels. Why did I create four levels on my iPad and how did that affect the processing?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
In order to get the most possible mesh you placed the camera on top of the tables both on the ground floor and upper level. this would then allow them to use this in the game as crates or other items to jump on top of?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@htimsabbub23

Yes. You're on the money!

For clarification, I raised the camera to the highest setting on the trip to help "reach" the duck work. I lowered the camera to its lowest setting to scan under some tables and some VR Viewers in "cubby holes" ...

Now imagine that I did 50 scans on the 1st level and 50 scans on the loft level and now wanted to add 50 scans to each level. BUT, how would I know where I scanned, since the Camera would be in some of the same places. It would get very confusing. SO, I created a second 1st floor and a second loft level in the Capture app so that I could see the high/low scans - separately from the "normal" scans.

And, because "Floors" are ONLY for the Matterport Pro - has nothing to do with how models process - creating these additional floor plans made scanning easier without affecting the result.

Here are screen grabs of the floors ...

(Reminder that I was scanning for the "mesh" - not for the walk around experience. Thus, you see so many scans. Yes. If I was scanning this Space, "just" for the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour, I could have done it with a ton less scans and in a fraction of the seven hours. ...)

By the way, the additional use case is that the client wants to re-configure the space (such as adding walls, desks), etc. Rather than taking pictures and measuring everything, he will "build" on top of the data.

Dan

P.S. How about starting a new discussion with a Brain Twister of your own?

Post 8 IP   flag post
101428 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?