Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasMarketing

Matterport Puffery or Misleading Marketing?5171

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

I noticed this statement on the front page of Matterport.com today (9 August 2017) ...

"The only all-in-one reality capture system that gives you realistic, interactive 3D and VR experiences that feel as real as being there."

Is this puffery or falls short in the Federal Trade Commission Truth in Advertising requirements.

About Puffery

"In everyday language, puffery refers to exaggerated or false praise.[1] In law, puffery is a promotional statement or claim that expresses subjective rather than objective views, which no "reasonable person" would take literally.[2] Puffery serves to "puff up" an exaggerated image of what is being described and is especially featured in testimonials."
Source: Wikipedia

About Truth in Advertising

"When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. The Federal Trade Commission enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses."
Source: Federal Trade Commission

I could imagine that some of the all-in-one reality capture systems on this page would take issue with Matterport's claim.

Plus, this statement is not helping grow the demand for Matterport Spaces.

While only is a great claim: it seems misguided to me to make this claim as is. Puffery at best.

What do you think?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joelbcollins private msg quote post Address this user
A certain, "It gives you wings" ad campaign comes to mind...
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's apt. The use of the word 'feel' is subjective in nature and compared to other options, it's the only consumer device that can produce this feeling.

I believe that the showcase experience elicits an emotional connection with a space unlike any other as it provides the user am unparalleled degree of freedom of movement within a photographic tour.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to share an example of how constant repetition by a government/company can lead to an upheld belief system that becomes instilled and unshakeable, eventually becoming detrimental on many levels.

Matterport have told the world from day one that a monkey could do this job. Never once has the fact that it takes spatial awareness, planning, creativity and editing ability to produce a fantastic final product.

There's a new guy on the forum (who I assume is a new MSP) stating on threads that the job requires zero skill. People on this forum actually voted up this assertion. Did any of the experienced pros agree with this statement?

What kind of portfolio do the MSP's who believe the job takes zero skill have? What leads them to this assumption?

Could it be that Matterport's constant repetition of ease has completely brainwashed these guys and limited them to a life inside the confines of cheap real estate jobs. These guys seem not to be able to think outside the box or realise any kind of self worth.

If my partner tells me enough times that I'm useless and good for nothing eventually I'll believe it. If the government tells me time and again that we are still in a depression and not to expect life to get better for X amount of years, I'll believe it.

Repetition is rife in all walks of life and is symptomatic of the society we have today - because we believe it and tell our peers what we believe. This new MSP is more than likely telling his customers that the job requires zero skills and can therefore expect cheap jobs. It's a cycle that never ends and can be applied to everything you see before your eyes.

What would happen if Matterport suddenly changed their tune and expressed that, actually, to create a neat final product a lot of man hours are required in post capture? Perhaps these zero skills guys would start to see their true worth and charge appropriately.

Just like with a fat kid, they are the product of their environment and belief system. Throw a few veg into the dish Matterport ffs. Enough is enough now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Baxter - Matterport have never actually claimed that a monkey could do a Matterport Tour. There are quite a few people at Matterport who understand the intricacies of generating a proper dollhouse with markers and that understand best practices -- they teach webinars and have provided a LOAD of documentation.

I believe that Matterport is promoting the idea that anyone can LEARN how to use the Matterport Camera. Being GREAT at it is subjective -- and it's not guaranteed. Like with anything -- Canon/Nikon/Sony sell DSLRs that anyone can use ... right? Use is operative -- have professional results is subjective too as pro = professional = a professional = make money.

Anyway, I deal with low ballers in my area too. There's one guy who lives at home with his parents who run his business and he delivers rather incomplete tours and has a complete lack of attention to detail. His website shows photography that is rather decent and certainly professional -- however, if you dig deep to see actual examples of client work, it's crap.

BTW - I think you meant that if the masses are told something enough times, they will eventually believe it. You don't seem to be brainwashable

--

OT: Matterport COULD start to claim that 'TO CREATE A NEAT FINAL PRODUCT IT TAKES A PRO' -- and sell online training
Post 5 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Dude I've been brainwashed into thinking the washing up is important, anything's possible.

I think the issue here is implication. Many people believe that a monkey could do it and that's all that really matters. I would say much of that is down to Matterport's advertising. Anybody using the camera and workshop to their full capabilities knows this isn't a monkey's job.

It's the belief system that it requires no skills that devalues the service. Change that belief system and the message trickles down to provider then client.

I 100% agree with your assertion about training. You should be able to qualify at different levels for different job types and final product. That combined with a new message from Matterport could change perceptions before it's too late. The release of the Pro 2 was the perfect opportunity to do just that but instead it was just made to look even easier.
Post 6 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
It´s just marketing and especially our "american" friends don´t care at all about true or not.
What makes me much more dissapointed are announced services and features never realised and one thing I am waiting for since +24 month which was the main reason I bought the cam and still pay for their service.

I can´t make much money with MP due to their limitations by now.

So for me and I guess most other europeans it´s just a marketing tool to get attention as the capturing and workflow goes fast. Real money I make with other - more professional tools - which have no restrictions on copyrights and a SDK for building advanced custom "client" branded solutions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
"It´s just marketing and especially our "american" friends don´t care at all about true or not."

I care enough to state that this is not true.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@mori What features?
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?