Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AnalysisCamerasCommentaryNCTech

Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras?5169

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

In a moment, more about the question, "Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras?"

First, some backstory ...

What the Matterport tech team has accomplished is amazing. When you think about it, they had to invent electricity and the light bulb simultaneously.

For clarification, that means:

1. Matterport Pro 3D Camera
2. Matterport Capture App
3. Matterport Cloud for processing Matterport Spaces
4. Matterport Cloud for hosting Matterport Spaces
5. Matterport Portal
6. Matterport 3D Showcase for viewing models
7. Content Delivery Network (CDN)

I could also imagine that the Matterport tech team is super-busy with creating SDKs/APIs and integration with Google Street View to launch in 4Q17 (and likely a thousand other things in a tug-of-war for the tech teams priorities).

Which leads me to the next generation of Matterport Cameras.

Based on Matterport job postings the last year, it is likely that Matterport has plans for the next generation of Matterport Cameras - perhaps exponential rather than incremental. Think LiDAR scanning tech becoming way more affordable which would allow Matterport to amp-up in game in the Architect-Engineering-Construction (AEC) Space where improved point clouds would justify a higher-end camera.

In lieu of developing Cameras internally – something that was necessary when Matterport created the eco-system, as described above - Matterport should open its platform to other Camera companies.

While I am not a hardware or software engineer - just geeky - I could imagine that the following Scanner-Cameras could publish to Matterport:

1. iGuide Camera System
2. Vuze
3. NCTech iris360 Pro
4. NCTech LASiris VR
5. Realvision
6. Insta 360 Pro
7. Leica Geosystems BLK
8. NavVis 3D Mapping Trolley
9. Other scanners-cameras

It's likely that we all wold agree that Matterport is a razor/razor blade business model. It makes recurring revenue on processing and hosting.

So, now that Matterport has a proven platform, it should embraced 3rd party scanner-camera companies to publish to the Matterport Platform.

For example, I could imagine a triple play with other Cameras:

1. publish to Matterport
2. publish to Google Street View
3. publish to NCTech platform

Plus, for Pros, we could (finally) get away from Matterport branding.

For Matterport, it means focusing its resources on the platform: not the hardware. Plus, enabling other scanners-cameras, means other companies marketing Matterport in verticals such as AEC that they already do business and have established sales channels.

Enabling other scanners-cameras to publish to Matterport would add huge value to the Matterport eco-system, including likely selling more Matterport Pro2 3D Cameras (which become the low-end camera in the eco-system).

As other scanner-camera companies succeed faster, Matterport will succeed faster with recurring revenue for processing, hosting and ancillary, derivative revenue.

Should - and will - Matterport support other cameras?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bale100 private msg quote post Address this user
I guess market forces will determine this.

I tried shooting Real Estate with Insta360 Pro a few weeks back in auto & manual modes - results blown out over exposed windows.

Need to retest in HDR mode...have not had time. Also need to recalibrate insta each time you move it.

Multiple cameras on the same platform provides potential clients with inconsistent results.

Maybe they need to create a separate / platform badged slightly differently and set expectations.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
So when did they push the GSV integration back to 4th quarter?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chemistrydoc
So when did they push the GSV integration back to 4th quarter?

My best guess that Publish Matterport to Google Street View launch will be delayed until 4Q17: most likely in time for MSP Summit.

Why I believe this:

1. Even though Matterport announced "this Summer [2017]" at the Google Street View Summit, even then I predicted September (back in May 2017) ... Summer 2017 was optimistic because of the beta status of the Google Street View API (that Matterport depends on for this integration).

2. Matterport removed all Google Street View integration message from the front page of Matterport.com

3. Even though Matterport solicited Matterport Service Providers for Beta testing, as far as I know, as of 9 August 2017 no Matterport Pro is presently testing publish Matterport to Google Street View beta.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Meanwhile they send out marketing materials so that we MSPs in the beta can stoke the furnace for them. Now I've wasted time and energy and look like an idiot with potential clients. Could their marketing department be more inept?
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
But I also think it correlated with the Matterport Pro 2 camera release. I think they wanted more input to GSV from the new camera platform would be a guess I would make along with what Dan said.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
...meanwhile claiming that one didn't need a Pro2 to do the Publish to GSV. If that turns out not to be true, that will be my last straw. If I can't believe or rely on what they tell me, how can I develop a business with them as a cornerstone. They have cost me serious time and credibility already...
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Chemistrydoc, don't get me wrong I think the Matterport Pro camera will be able to post to GSV but what away to advertise the new camera platform and show case it in GSV.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
GSV will be launched soon. There are clues in the JavaScript and css for Matterport cloud. The Pro-1 will be supported although down the road, the Pro2 will be capable of using GPS for outside tours and whether Matterport will provide an ability to manually add 360 views to a GSV tour is doubtful imho.
Post 9 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I just can recommend not to sell or announce any features in development until you have not made sure the current status - call it alpha, beta or whatever - is working like you expect it for your clients.

Also I guess that the multifloor-feature will not be available in the first version.
Post 10 IP   flag post
From a developer perspective and as MP has too many restrictions and limitations I hope the NCTech platform will support an import of MP Models & Data.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Great news ...

The first of likely many camera integrations to the Matterport platform:

✓ Matterport and Leica partnering in 2018

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
I agree with Mori, the Ntech would be a way better format and is geared for what we are looking for. Leica good format for point cloud but not for photo walk thru virtual format, and they are geared for point cloud and with Blk360. They are not even using their software to view it, they are using Recap from autocad. So there is no real good viewing format. But that is just my point of few.

Ron
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
SCORE! I am in SHOCK that this announcement just dropped! Matterport is on such a roll this year!

First - two important bullet points:

BLK360 = $15,990 and 3 Minutes per scan. Imagery is 150 Megapixels.
PRO-2 = $4000 and 30-40 seconds per scan. Imagery is 136 Megapixels.

READ: The PRO-2 is not being superceded or replaced. The sky is not falling and there's no Pro-3 with LIDAR coming out.

“We are excited to be aligning with the market-leaders to integrate the new BLK360 imaging laser scanner and support end-user applications to serve a broader range of use cases," said Bill Brown, Matterport CEO. "As the leader in next-gen 3D reality capture and distribution, we are focused on offering an end-to-end platform that is extremely easy to use, quick, and inexpensive. Our new partnership with Leica Geosystems plus our recent Multivista partnership are huge steps forward in this platform development."

Easy + Quick + Inexpensive = Matterport Pro-2.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Yes. Super exciting!

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
"no Pro-3 with LIDAR" -> I really hoped for such a cam at a price range of about 10.000 Eur.
Post 16 IP   flag post
After reading the article thru this is a good step towards arcitechule documentation. A plus for jobs that have a definit large exterior and now a true walk from building to building walk thru. But the big part will it be worth the overall investment and return on that investment at $15,000. Since Blk360 packages Recap Pro software maybe there would be a slight discount if it was not bundled together for Matterport user but that would not be that much off.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I'm planning on budgeting and buying one after seeing Matterport's e-mail this morning. The improvement in capture of the MESH -- TALL CEILINGS complete ... I see this as being a game changing investment and believe that I could market this hard core - as well as potentially renting the unit out to other MSPs in the area...

This is just too good.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Yes! Exciting to see Matterport doing this alliance ...

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
101436 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?