Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseOutdoors

Matterport Pro 3D Camera - Outdoor Capture50

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
While it's not easy to shoot outdoors – and Matterport does not recommend it – it is possible to have this kind of success ...

Much of this We Get Around 3D Showcase of Atlanta Children's Shelter is outdoors!

To achieve this result:

1. sun is not in the eye of the camera: dusk/dawn/shade
2. scans are close together ... and then eliminate "in be-tweeners"
3. accept that there is still a high failure rate for scans (tip: move the camera closer to the last scan)
4. capture will take at least twice as long as an indoor space of the same size (because scans are closer together and higher failure rate)

Do you have any other tips for scanning outdoors?
Post 1 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
Wait until twilight
Post 2 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Very good, thanks for the tips. When shooting outdoors did you have to mark the windows as you would indoors?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

Great question.

Actually, I only used the trim tool (some). Because Capture (v 2.0.2) allows for editing models again and again, I decided to see how the outdoors would look without the help of the window tool.

Looks great to me. So, one less "post-production" step.

@ccctucker great point about timing, though sometimes the space is too large to wait too long. For example, in another model, I waited for the sun to go behind the tree tops.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Bryn private msg quote post Address this user
I did it like this a while back as a test as well.

https://my.matterport.com/webgl_player/#model=SLaBNyCKDo4
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Bryn great test example walking out the front door.

Why do you feel you were able to have this success? No sunlight? Scans close together? Other?
Post 6 IP   flag post
No direct lighting and low wind so things were still. Scan points were created to make it as though you were walking in the front door and were close as a result. I trimmed everything but the walkway in order to preserve only the pano spheres. If we had the ability to upload pano spheres to models they could be connected with "invisible" or back face culled etc. mesh to points outside the home or building for and interior exterior package. Alas no re-upload is possible with web GL currently. The matterport doesnt do great pano spheres either due to the lighting issues. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible though.

I wanted to see if exterior capture was at all possible. One note is that the door had to be open in order to connect the inside to the outside. At least that is what I was thinking.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Bryn Yes. Doors need to be open to walk through the entrance. Great point about no wind so that the camera was not confused about the leaves not aligning.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Bryn, That's a very good example of an exterior scan and very effective. I'll have to try that on the right home as you would have to leave the front door open on all additional scans which have a view of the front door. So any movement that can be seen out the door could cause problems.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If you started outside you could start with the door closed on your initial scan and just open it and rescan again ( it should be able to connect the scan if you have a lot of vertical surfaces to reflect off of) then move closer as BRYN did. Once your inside, and the scans show connected, close the door and continue without concerns on what is happening outside.

Just an idea..
Post 10 IP   flag post
That a good idea, thanks
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ccctucker for clarification, I recommend then deleting the door closed scan. Otherwise, when you walk around the 3D Showcase, it's possible that you will not be able to walk through the 'open' door.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Could you do a 4 scans;
1 Outside with door closed
2 Outside with door open
3 inside with door open
4 inside with door closed

This way as you approach the door it opens and as you enter it closed. You would just had to space your 4 scans perhaps 4 to 6 feet apart.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder yes. As long as you shoot in that order. Since most of my models are 200 scans, I may need to delete the two door closed scans to do two scans elsewhere.

Plus, if I see a closed door, I may not believe it will open as I approach ...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yes I agree.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder by the way, you can walk through a closed door, if you see a 'halo' [scan]. That said, you may not always be able to see a 'halo' through a door that you want people to enter.

While you may not need to show doors closed, I do show spaces with the blinds opened and closed, if that's helpful to under the use of an event space, for example.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Door open vs closed is why I would have the door open well before you get there. From a distance it may show closed, but as you move along, it will appear to open.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Yes, perhaps 2 scans open then before you reach the door, which kind of invites you in.
Post 18 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting examples, I'd love to be able to do the walkway into front door for my clients.
Post 19 IP   flag post
CharlieB private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing Dan and Bryn. Good info....I tried recently and couldn't get a link from the inside with the door open. Will try again.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@CharlieB the challenge may be too much 'matter' changing from one scan to the next. To 'fool' the camera, go back to where there is no 'matter' changing and continue scans to where the 'matter' changes. Then, delete the scans you no longer need.

I routinely do this. In this example, I show the space with the blinds up AND down. Hint: To see the blinds close, "stand" on top of the counter where the beer tap is located and then step forward.

While I did not have to do the technique as described above, if the 'blinds down' scan had not worked, I would have found a spot in the space where the 'matter' did not change (behind a pillar) and then moved the camera with the blinds down and then deleted the 'traveling' scans between point A and B.

Clear as mud?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Tricky Devil!
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Post Production Tip: when shooting outdoor patios – screened-in and not screened-in, in addition to using the trimming tool within the Matterport Capture app, use the window tool (even though there are no windows).

In this $3.8 million, 3-level furnished house (that could be the set for a ‘Restoration Hardware’ catalog photo shoot), I marked the "windows" on five patio views. Now, when you rotate the model, you can see the views (especially the update decks with the sunset). The addition of this step also removes some artifacts.

Post 23 IP   flag post
DanMilstein private msg quote post Address this user
Because this one had sliding glass doors, and it was cold outside, I shot interiors, the opened each door for a threshold scan. Baby steps to get outside after that (leaving the door open while outside), and few disabled sweeps in the final tour.
The tricky bits are when you run into strong reflections on either side of the glass.
Trim tool only for the balcony edges, and no window markup for any of them.
http://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2ztZRW6X1dw
Post 24 IP   flag post
DanMilstein private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, how the heck are you embedding the tour in this forum, Dan?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Very cool Dan! Hey that opened in my my.matterport when
I clicked out of the email.... Very weird. I'll send you the screenshot. Awesome scan with the porch man!
Post 26 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
First shot at an outdoor scan. I tried to outline the border of where I wanted the scan to end with windows. I think I must have left a few gaps though because its not real clean on the edges. Any advice on fixing that and setting the edge for outdoor scans? Can you mark overlapping windows?

Thanks for the help, I didn't even know outdoor scans were possible till looking on here yesterday.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
From my experience, just trim and no windows looks cleanest.
Post 28 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
I guess this is a dumb question but how do you trim?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
No such thing as a dumb question...mirrors, windows and trim. I'd be surprised if you hadn't used it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101646 49 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?