Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceTrimming

Trimming a Matterport Space Advice?4950

WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
When I met with the MP rep a couple weeks ago he suggested just trimming the whole room. Not to bother with Windows and mirrors. Does anybody do this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
NO. ABSOLUTELY OPPOSITE.

Without getting too much into it, you can get away without ever using the trim tool - just outline your outside walls with the window tool. The window tool creates a false plane to fill in spaces like windows that are missing data -- as well as trimming data that is about 10cm past the line.

Additionally, The mirror tool is NECESSARY for proper alignment and scanning WHILE working on the model. The mirror tool is similar to the window tool, but it tells the camera to ignore anything past it. Might be useful for opening/closing doors but I haven't tested that yet.

Don't trim a whole room.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the quick reply. It sounds like I must have misunderstood him.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Just to clarify - when using the window tool -- it creates a false plane just behind the line and trims about 10cm behind -- Draw the window tool with this in mind -- draw it ON the wall - no behind it. You might end out with a recessed texture that will look weird if you outline wrong.

I wish I had a formal statement from Matterport on this so I could quote. I would love for Matterport to have a 'Pro' mode wherein the tools were explained more in depth and labelled appropriately. The "Window" tool is really a "Fill" tool.

Here's the KB Article:
support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/213690918-Quick-Tips-for-a-High-Quality-3D-Showcase-PDF-
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Official statement from a Matterport Rep:

"The window tool will create a false plane where that is drawn. That plane will be textured with an image from a camera position facing the plane. There will be a trim line 40cm behind the window line."

"That 40cm leaves a gap, which is why it's important to mark windows and mirrors wider than the window or mirror actually is. (Mark partway or entirely along the wall to prevent a gap.)"

Note, I said 10cm - it's 40cm.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101421 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?