Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingNewbies

Should a Newbie Go "All In" with Matterport?4888

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

This is a typical question I get....

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BoniVR
Hello everyone. My name is Shiv. I would like to thanks Dan and Everyone who is contributing with their information and experience.
I am newbie to the forum and to the Matterport technology. I am still kicking the tires on purchasing a Matterport pro2 camera and going all in with a startup company. Any advice for Matterport beginner would be very useful!! Thanks in advance.

What advice or questions for @BoniVR ...?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Wanderfish360 private msg quote post Address this user
Being relatively new to the game myself I am happy to share a few things that I did before taking the leap.

A) I looked out how competitive Matterport was in my market was (which ultimately brought me to WGAN).

B) I reached out to some friendly real estate agents and for the price of a beer I was able to find out what the demand for these tours would be and what they were willing to pay.

C) Then I figured out how many spaces I would have to do a year to make some money and what the total cost of ownership was going to be -- because it is more than the camera (iPad, tripod, case, MP hosting)

D) Then I waited 6 months just to see if I really was still interested.

E) Then I revisited the Matterport solution, doubled checked with the agents to see if there was still demand. It became clear that Matterport alone was not going to be enough -- Agents were looking for a one-stop shop for standard photos, videos, drone photography, 3D tours, and single listing websites.

F) This work can be seasonal(depending on where you are). So you might need a plan B for the offseason.

Do some market research and interview some agents. If you haven't done that I would hold off going all in until you are sure you have a good business play in your area.

Hope this helps.
Post 2 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
How many real estate agents or small business owners do you know that will let you scan for them?

Are you already in any kind of business that have relationship with realtors?

Are you willing to buy other equipment to be a one stop shop?

How is the competition in your market?
Post 3 IP   flag post
BoniVR private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for the inputs and questions.

I am from Charlotte area and still doing my market research on Matterport competition.

I am not in any business with realtors, but I do know few real estate agents and small business owners that I can work with.

I am planning to provide the following services 3d,VR,Photography,3D Measurements,floor plan and video (not drone).

I am also planning to join Standard or premium membership as I need help in Marketing and camera insurance. By comparing the membership plans, I believe premium is the way to go, but I do not need all the services. What is recommended for MSP beginner just for 3D-VR-360° Photographers?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@BoniVR

Thank you for joining the Forum, your kind note for your community and the additional backstory.

I am not convinced that you are a good candidate to go all in to start a Matterport Service Provider business – even with the related visual storytelling solutions.

1. Are you planning to quit a day job to do this?
2. What is your present expertise? (unrelated to Matterport)
3. Do you have (many) friends and colleagues that have spaces to scan?
4. Would these trusted friends or colleagues make introductions for you?
5. If you are presently employed full-time, can you start the MSP biz on the side?
6. Before buying the Matterport Camera and related gear and accessories, could you create your website and make sales (and use an existing Pro) to fulfill these jobs until you have the confidence that you can generate enough business to go all in?
7. Have you used these two We Get Around Calculators?

How much can I make as a Matterport Service Provider?
How much does it cost to start a Matterport Service Provider Business?

Again - even with the help of a We Get Around Network Standard or Premium Membership, I have concerns about you going all in.

Most of the We Get Around Network Forum Community Members are:

✓ professional photographers that added Matterport
✓ real estate agents that scan their own listings (and maybe other spaces)
✓ brokers that buy a Camera for their agents to use
✓ scan for their company in a different industry
✓ scanning in a vertical that they have expertise

All of the above are either incremental - would you like fries with that / make money from getting listings / make money in a different vertical meets camera.

The single hardest thing about starting a Matterport Service Provider business is making sales. If you are quitting a day job to start a business in an unrelated space - and do not have a network of friends and colleagues that will buy your services and help you get business from others, you are in for a tough journey.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
@BoniVR

I didn't go in detail as much as @DanSmigrod but that was the same point I was going to make after you answered my questions.

It is hard to make a good living just jumping in.

Do you already have a decent camera now? If so, I would start by trying to get some photo gigs. If your camera shoots video, you can start with that service too. I honestly think you can sell those two easier than Matterport.

I love my Matterport but I would hate to see you jump in head first and spend $5,000 and not get but one or two jobs per month.

Maybe @DanSmigrod can find someone in your area willing to talk to you and let you go on a scan.

@jonj isn't too far from you and I know he was offering to train people to take quality photos. I have PMed him before and he is nothing but nice and helpful.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
fragache private msg quote post Address this user
Great Tips!!! I'm a newbie to the Business too and these comments are very appreciated. @DanSmigrod do you have anyone from [redacted] in your network that can have a brief chat with me?

Best Regards,
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Thank you Dan for providing your valuable inputs. These questions will help me decide to go all in or side MSP biz.I was planning to wait at least 6 months before going all in, but still buy camera and accessories and work as a part time MSP.

Please see my answers below:

1. Are you planning to quit a day job to do this? -- No, I will continue with my day job.
2. What is your present expertise? (unrelated to Matterport) -- I am not a professional photographer. I am a Software programmer and interested in the 3D/VR tour technology. I really enjoy Matterport tours and believe in their SAAS solutions.
3. Do you have (many) friends and colleagues that have spaces to scan? -- Yes, but very few.
4. Would these trusted friends or colleagues make introductions for you? -- No not yet.
5. If you are presently employed full-time, can you start the MSP biz on the side? -- Yes, I can absolutely start the MSP biz on the side, but would only spend weekends and holidays for services which is perfectly fine with me.
6. Before buying the Matterport Camera and related gear and accessories, could you create your website and make sales (and use an existing Pro) to fulfill these jobs until you have the confidence that you can generate enough business to go all in? -- I have already started working on my website and will use existing pro for marketing.
7. Have you used these two We Get Around Calculators? -- I have used calculator for how much it cost and it is close to $8000 for me. I have not used calculator for how much I make on MSP.

@justinv

I was just going to ask if someone is willing to train me and you answered my question. I would reach out to @jonj. Thank you both!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @justinv, I appreciate the kind words!

@BoniVR,
I would be happy to meet with you and help you get started with your Matterport/photography adventure. About 3 years ago, I started out my MSP business in a very similar situation as yourself. I was a Scrum Master at a software development firm and would take on jobs after work or on the weekend. I have been working my business now full-time for the past year offering both Matterport, photography services and other services related to real estate as well.
It took about 2 years for me to transition to full time. I could have done it a bit sooner, but I have a large family to support (7 kids!) and did not want to put my family at risk. Now, I have enough work to replace my previous income and still have the flexibility to schedule my time around my families activities all the while, doing something I love!

Send me a PM and I would be happy to work with you!

Thanks,
Jon J
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@fragache

Yes. I recommend you engage a Pro to shoot your space. And, ask for an okay to watch the Pro during the scan and post production. We Get Around Network Find a Pro Map. This will answer most of your questions.

@BoniVR

Since you will keep your day job and are already a Pro photographer (bundle of services), seems like you just need to cover your cost for the Camera, Gear and Accessories; and, then see if you can make a living. As a Pro photographer, do you have existing clients that would be appropriate for Matterport Spaces?

That's great that you will first see that you can development business, without investing in the Camera, gear and accessories. If you can not generate enough business - sales-sales-sales - then no reason to buy everything.

Since you mentioned Standard and Premium Membership, I recommend you join as a Standard Member so that you can trick-out your website with example Matterport Spaces in various categories, video, floor plans and the free use of WP3D Models Wordpress plugin (an essential tool for a Matterport Service Provider.) www.JoinStandard.com

Best,

Dan

P.S. Thinking about started a Matterport Service Provider business? This is a "must watch" video ...

Video: WGAN-TV: We Get Around Matterport 1st Person PoV Realtime Scan | Published: 12 June 2017 | Matterport 1st Person PoV Realtime Scan | Video by Artistic Concepts Digital Design & Marketing Founder and Photographer Chris Fraser | @ArtisticConcepts

Post 10 IP   flag post
@BoniVR

I told you that @JonJ would talk to you. He will give you honest answers and show you the workflow. This will help you make an educated decision instead of "going all in".

@DanSmigrod

Where else could someone get this kind of service?
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

Here are some Matterport Mentors that are available via Skype (for a fee).

These Pros have been scanning more than a year.

I can also newbies to Pros locally (to engage to scan their home and watch the workflow - scanning and post).

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank you all for your honest and valuable feedback!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

WGAN-TV Training Academy Video: We Get Around Going "All In" ... Free to Watch by We Get Around Network Forum Members

Hi All,

Earlier today (27 June 2017), I spoke with a (different) newbie Matterport Service Provider that went "all in" ... He also recently joined the We Get Around Network as a Standard Member.

1. He quit his day job (unrelated to real estate / unrelated to spaces that can be scanned)
2. Bought a Matterport Camera and related gear
3. Expects to make a full-time living from only offering Matterport (and eventually other services)

I do not know any Matterport Service Providers that make a full-time living from offering just Matterport, so how did our conversation go? How were we able to create a plan with "next steps"?

If you are thinking about going "all in" this 1+ hour video is a "MUST WATCH" and you can watch free as a Member of the We Get Around Network Forum. (When you join, you will receive the password. Already a Member, simply PM me for the password.) [Thanks for your patience too. About to head to dinner and Tuesday night tango class with my wife.)

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
101641 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?