Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GeoCVGoogle Street ViewStrategyTips

Matterport & Google Trusted Photographer Pro4815

WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Will Matterport help us become Google Trusted Photographers using the Street View program?

At face value, I say No!

The uploads like Realtor.com uploads will probably be uploaded from Matterport. We will not gain credit for our 360 uploads through our current Street View Local Guide profile.

To become a Google Trusted Photographer, we need to upload 50 Google approved 360 images for Google businesses or places.

What are you doing to get your profile up to 50 approved images?

Are you going back through past client uploads and downloading those 360's to then add to Google Street View?

Are you bring a Ricoh out with you or using the Street View app to catch 360's a certain locations you visit?

Will Matterport offer us a Google Street View option like enabling VR to upload to Google Street View with the current 360 offering in Showcase?

If so, we could upload the tour to Matterport, download a 360, submit it to Google Street View. Once it shows on the map with our profile, we could go back to Matterport and enable Street View to let the rest go onto Google.

Other Google Trusted Photographers claim the upload should show in 1-2 weeks. If we get a fast turn around for both to happen in this time frame, we can still compete with other Trusted Photographers by gaining credit to our profiles to become Trusted Photographers and certify ourselves as Google Trusted Photographers. We just won't be uploading as many as others submit.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and strategy here.
Post 1 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to know this as well. Also, what kind of contract do you use with the business owners? How does the licensing, etc., work?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Marc private msg quote post Address this user
I thinks the thing you need to keep in mind is that the application and use intention is somewhat different. When you shoot a real estate tour for the residential market, it's primary purpose is for the one time transaction of the sale of that asset.

In shooting virtual tours that are published on Google, the intent is to use it as more of a long tail marketing asset (not always, but more often this is the case). This means that the product has to be promoted very differently.

I know that some people are thinking that it's all the same thing but no different than finding your own point of differentiation for you vs your current competitors, you have to be able to explain that to your prospects and clients.

So to answer the question about MP being your gateway to the GSV program? Not really, unless you can find a way to leverage it's advantages over the current tools of the trade (dslr / fisheye = 50MP equirec with full zenith and easy nadir patch).

If you want to get access to the GSV market, it's probably easier to use other things than a Matterport. You've got to deal with people in the shots, moving cars, whacky lighting conditions at times, etc. The automation that Matterport adds to the shoot process may actually work against you in terms of a quality, sellable product.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV

"If so, we could upload the tour to Matterport, download a 360, submit it to Google Street View. Once it shows on the map with our profile, we could go back to Matterport and enable Street View to let the rest go onto Google."

According to the Google "What it takes to be trusted" website the panos need to be-

14 mp or larger (5,300 x 2,650 px)

The panos downloaded from the Matterport are 4096 x 2048 or 8.3 mp

Seems like Matterport might have done that to keep us from being able to do that.

Any thoughts?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@RichieRichKS - Matterport made the exports specific for posting to social media.

@Marc - I too wonder who will get credit for the Matterport Tours posted to the crummy Google Street View platform.

The example tour that Matterport published with their platform and showcased at GSV Summit is branded with the
Sarah Maslyk's name (Software engineer at Matterport).

See: Galgorm Spa & Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
So to answer the question about MP being your gateway to the GSV program?

@Marc - "Gateway to the GSV Program" -- to be clear, we don't know if the tours will be uploaded as 'Matterport' or if we'll authenticate and upload with our own Google account. I have sold far more GSV tours from my website than from GSV referrals -- and I receive 10x as many GSV Referrals as I do Matterport ones and far fewer conversions -- therefore, I don't see any reason to glorify the Google Trusted program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Not really, unless you can find a way to leverage it's advantages over the current tools of the trade (dslr / fisheye = 50MP equirec with full zenith and easy nadir patch).

I will be able to shoot a Matterport Tour with over 200 panos that is turnkey published to Google without the need for moderation. Alignment, linking, poisitioning, etc. will be completely accurate.

I'm excited about this from the perspective of someone who has been moderating Google Street View tours for a while -- including tours that have exceeded 300 panos. It's a pain and it's become worse after the demise of Business View since the photogrammy capabilities are gone. Using the App is silly.

[rant]Actually -- using Google Street View is silly too It's a horrible tour platform compared to Matterport, iGuide, RealVision, GeoCV, custom tours from Pano2VR, the custom tours that PanoSkin create when moderating, and everything else pretty much. Navigation is a joke and it's easier to sale straight through every wall to the opposite end of the tour than it is to walk a straight line. And it's virtually invisible to the world since Google removed the 'See Inside' icon and makes you dig to the 360 Photos tab in most cases to see the tour.[/rant]
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
@Metroplex360

My problem is that since I'm a newbie and not a Google Trusted Photographer I apparently don't have access to the moderation tools such as panoskin. I just want to be able to provide a quality product, and until the Matterport platform goes live I have no way of doing that.

I really wish Matterport would give us some insight as to what functionality from the Matterport Tour will actually work in GSV. It would really help us pre-sell tours if we could show that we offer more functionality than others. An idea of what it's going to cost would be great too!
Post 6 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
I don't really care about actually being a Google trusted photographer, I just want to be able to put it on my t-shirt and website. I just want something that people will recognize and I think people know what Google is.

Another one I am interested in is Zillow. I haven't signed up yet but I will probably do it in the next few weeks.

I will put their badges with my MSP one. I just don't want to have my logo and Matterport's logos. Those most people will not know but everyone will know the other two, hopefully!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
@Metroplex360

What Social Media platform has those requirements? I only know Facebook's which are-

What's the largest 360 photo I can upload?

The largest full 360 photo you should upload is 6000 x 3000 pixels (18 megapixels). You can upload larger photos, but there are diminishing returns past that size, and you will probably not see an appreciable difference in output.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101436 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?