Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceStrategy

If you can't beat them, Join them!4806

Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
The true meaning of that expression couldnt be more exemplified than our one an only Forum member Chris Hickman of Metroplex360. As many of the regular forum members know, Chris developed some fantastic 3rd party solutions for MSP's. However, most of these were 'Taken Down" due to Matterport either reworking code or restricting access of certain things within their platform.

Im not sure if Chris asked to help them or the other way around but at the end of the day, he's now part of the Matterport team of Developers as Matterport recognized Chris's Skills. His helping hand will speed new improvements to the platform I think quicker than if Matterport was left to their own devices.

Because Chris is an MSP and Photographer, he knows the nuisances of the Tour Business better than anyone at Matterport and so has a voice that appears to be clearly heard by those at Matterport. What his addition means to me is that I won't be looking at any other solutions now that I see we have "One of our own with a clear voice" on the Matterport team.

So Kudos to Chris and Matterport.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Well said!
Post 2 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@hometakes while I value very much the knowledge that Metroplex360 brings to the table and I enjoy reading most all of his posts. I feel that in some respect it is not possible to give an unbiased review or feedback.

Many of the MP providers have spoken out and gave their opinion on what would be a great solution to bring more value to the camera and service that they are offering.

Especially when some of us fighting not to get nickel and dimed by Matterport and then MP gets defended that "their developers need to make money" or that MP needs to make money to be able to feed their stake holders. A business does not make money with nickel dimming a company makes money by selling an superior product and an increasing number of people wanting to purchase that product, by getting recommendations from happy customers and by being on top of the technological curve.

When I get nickel and dimed I switch service. This what people do, they are as faithful as the next best less expensive offer comes along. I can not blame them, we all have to run a business.

In my opinion MP could have made much more money in the past years by opening up their system to developers and not market the camera to a very narrow Chanel only.

I will be looking at all solutions that will be available may the better T&C and Price of product win.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@grmngrl I agree with a lot that you are saying. However, I haven't actually see them implement anything that costs extra money yet. I just think that their marketing tactics are tacky.

I don't think that they intend to charge for downloads of 360's. Just like the VR, said its free for while, then extended it. I think they would do far better at a marketing strategy wherein they said, "We've just added a new FREE feature to 3D platform". Floor plans actually came down in price considerably. So much so, that you could give them away in order to gain a 3D Client.

What made me change my mind (honestly) about switching to another system if one came out similar to Matterport really was the addition of Chris. He really and truly understands service provider needs as he does what we do as a business. I don't think your gonna find that with any other company that comes out with something comparable.

It seems with Chris, Matterport is truly and finally listening to its MSP's. So again, Kudos to Chris.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I do want to clarify - I'm still an MSP. My role with Matterport will always be as an MSP.

I was approached by Matterport a while back and given the opportunity to communicate with them directly concerning my ideas and opinions. This offer came with the chance to also hear what their ideas were and to be involved in the discussion. This has a heavy burden as it comes with an NDA and a need to be respectful to both Matterport and to the MSP community.

@grmngrl - I'm doing my best to be unbiased and to instead provide information and enthusiasm in order to help people to -- as Dan puts it -- 'succeed faster'.

@hometakes - I like the subject line I truly have played a cat-and-mouse game with Matterport several times concerning releasing a 'tool', being blocked, working around it, being blocked, working around it again, and being blocked
Post 5 IP   flag post
As I've said in other threads, I don't think VR and now 360 panos should be billed on a model to model basis. I don't think enough of my clients use VR to justify any cost if it ceases to be free. Therefore, that's a current offering that I love to provide, but which will likely go by the way-side if it begins to cost $.

I think it would be better for Matterport to offer those add-ons as extra incentive to upgrade to the pro/business plans and if they did that, more MSPs would jump from the basic plan to the higher plans and Matterport would likely make more revenue that way.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
Well Said Queen_City_3D
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Queen_City_3D That's my preference too. Matterport will need to address the longevity of their existing plans too as many of us have owned our cameras for 2 years and are starting to hit the 300 scan soft ceiling of the 'Professional' plan.
Post 8 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_Citi_3D Not all of our clients are using VR and it would thus be a waste for me should it be structured like that to have to upgrade to a pro or business plan. I'm happy with how it is now, and should the "extras" become a paid service then have it as a per model fee. If a client wants it he pays for it, not me with extra cost on hosting plan.

@grmngrl I have known Chris (Metroplex360) now for a while and can say this: he is a person of integrity and will call a spade a spade.

He is not being paid by MP so have nothing to loose to speak his mind but being in the unique position of having insight into both sides (and being an MSP himself) he will not shoot himself or us in the foot and he will not sell us out as that will also be bad for his own business that puts the food on his table. I believe having the ear of MP and his technical knowledge is to our MPS's advantage.

On a side note: Show me a "perfect company" where 100% of the clients are happy :-) ...
Post 9 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Here is one thing I've learned about switching companies...whether as a service provider (employee) or a customer.

It's ALWAYS greener on the other side. So...when you switch from Matterport to another company, guess what?

It's ALWAYS GREENER on the other side.

Weird...it's now greener on the Matterport side.

Once again, it's now greener on the Matterport side.

I think Metro is actually a SPY for the Chinese company and plans to do a hostile takeover of Matterport. The plaid shirt gives it away.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@JC3DCX The reason my preference is to have it included is that it will make life easier for me. Unlike some other MSPs I try to offer as few packages as possible. My only real upsells are floor plans and mattertag content. I like being able to provide the VR at no additional cost simply because I feel it's a novelty that very few people use, but which causes the Matterport platform to stand out. We've bought a bunch of cheap google cardboard sets from China and give them out like candy to our real estate agents and their clients (the home owners). I just think if I had to upsell the VR, that few of our clients would pay the extra cost.... that's just my 2 cents.

Kudos, though, to those that do a good job with offering a bunch of different tier services (e.g., drones, videography, etc.). That stuff isn't in our wheelhouse, but we do have local contacts who we can refer to if a client wanted all those extra bells and whistles, there's just not too many (in my market) who do.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHattan
I think Metro is actually a SPY for the Chinese company and plans to do a hostile takeover of Matterport. The plaid shirt gives it away.

I cropped out the striped shorts and my socks + sandals combo.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Mazel Tov To Us All!
Post 13 IP   flag post
101628 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?