Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro1Pro2

Video: Matterport Slams Pro Photographers4692

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: Matterport Slams Pro Photographers

Watch this video at:

0:54 "And because it's truly all-in-one, Greg pays less than he use to for just the 2D photography."

1:25 "There's no need to organize a second shoot to produce still images... one push of a button and you have everything to create print quality stills for your brochures or website."

Meaning: you no longer need a Pro to shoot still images.

It's an example of where Matterport channel marketing breaks down. You can't be all things to all people. This could have been handled with sensitivity to Pros.

To top it off, they shot the Matterport Tour example too high; thus the "verticals" are not "vertical" while doing the walk-through.

As a Pro photographer, do you find this official Matterport video offensive?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I am glad I have other avenues for revenues than just Matterport. Like I said before, the only company I know that cares even less about customers is DJI.

No one should be surprised that a new camera came out. When you buy a computer, if it isn't out of date when you get home with it, it will be very soon.

If I was going to buy another $4000 camera, it wouldn't be another Matterport. I would probably give iguide platform a try.

I am glad your forum doesn't have a thumbs down on here!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I find it offensive as a Matterport Service Provider.
Post 3 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
I don´t find it offensive. It is just that they think that their market are the Real Estate agents and not the professional photographers.

It is a mistake? In my point of view it is a great mistake, but they insist on it so maybe then know something that I don´t.

My rationale for considering this a mistake is that Matterport's business model should be about processing and hosting and not about selling cameras (the typical razor blade business model). They insist in that they can do both models at the same time: making a lot of money selling cameras and the same processing/hosting.

If they are right, then they are doing the right thing promoting the cameras to Real Estate agents.

If I am right, they should be marketing cameras to pros, and helping them to get more business because they are who, in the end, will be getting far more models and keep paying their monthly fees (probably Matterport's main source of income).

Powerful companies as Kodak got busted by their own mistakes, and they had plenty of intelligent people around! So there is a fair chance that they are mistaken and will get busted as well...who knows. After all Matterport is a very small company still trying to figure out what their business model should be.

It is strategy in the making and we can expect a lot of mistakes down the road.

We have talked a lot in this forum about the qualities of Matterport marketing efforts and their focus on end users instead of photography professionals. I don´t know if there is a lot more to add to the conversation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
It'd be pretty interesting Dan if you invited Matterport's head of strategy for a Q&A on here. Perhaps you already have but please do ask again. To us mere mortals some decisions can appear strange so it'd be great to get some reassurance on numerous community concerns.
Post 5 IP   flag post
NestorSarmiento private msg quote post Address this user
I would say it´s offensive to clients who look at those images printed in a brochure or displayed on a website.

To those they say: "You are not smart enough to tell the difference beetwen a good, proffesisional photography and this"

I respect image consumers, they deserve always more quality images.

Nevertheless, this feature in the MP2 camera is handy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
MarcelloM private msg quote post Address this user
They are "educating" the audience that "professional photography" can be done just with a "stupid" machine. That's bad because many of the Matterport users are also Professional Photographers!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Baxter

I have invited Matterport executives to participate in the We Get Around Network Forum.

They have a standing invitation to do so.

Every other company that I have reached out to to post to a discussion related to their camera, software or product has done so.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jfantin

Yes. We have discussed real estate agent versus Pro many times We (all) obviously have a difference of opinion than Matterport on this topic.

Just sayin' that they could highlighted this feature in a positive way without slamming Pros.

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Yeah I would have loved to seen the video start by saying "if you are too cheap to hire it out, this camera's for you if you aren't too cheap to buy it for $4,000".
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Dear Matterport Product Development,

Professional photographers shoot a space for still images differently than a Matterport Pro.

For example, Matterport might be shot at "walking height" (55" to 60" while a still photographer will position the camera at door knob height to make the space look bigger.

The still Pro will stand in the corner of a room - with a wide angle lens - to make the room look as big as possible.

While you could place the Matterport camera at door knob height in a corner, there are at least two challenges with this:

1. We only need a 180º photo - not a 360º (so we are wasting time watching the camera spin/stitch two walls that we don't need (feature request)
2. To get the still image, we can not hide the image. So, essentially, we have two workflows to get still images that we need, but do not want in the walk-through experience. (You don't easily enable us to hide a scan from walking around that we need to downloading for the still image view of the space.) (feature request)

The placement of the Matterport camera (location and height) is simply different than how a Pro still photographer shoots the space. So, to get stills, we are using the wrong tool that still takes extra time both on the shoot and post production. At the very least, fix the workflow to enable hiding of scans that we shot only for the purpose of the still images. For clarification, we do not want people to stand in the corner of a room where they see two walls. It's weird.

While in a pinch, it is nice to be able to go back to the Matterport scan to grab a shot that a still photographer missed, a Pro still photographer doesn't miss a shot. So, your claiming benefits that are not solving problems.

Granted, there are many real estate agents that will say that the still photography from the Matterport Camera is "good enough" to save the $$$ and scheduling time, if you want to embrace the Pro community, don't slam us.

Dan

P.S. Since Matterport reads every word of the We Get Around Network, I don't feel compelled to email this public post to Matterport Support. Collectively, we have been posting so much commentary today, that I imagine that Matterport employees are not getting much work done because they all are reading the We Get Around Network Forum
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

haha too funny.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I hope Matterport will quickly create a few videos and move this specific one to a page specific to Realtors as it's too specific to only one industry.

Us aside, the Pro2 captures large empty spaces better with it's improved 3d sensor. It's valuable for architects/builders/venue owners/etc

I agree with @jfantin as I generally do. The cloud hosting platform and subscription fees are a boon for Matterport regardless of who creates the tours. Matterport will need to consider how MSP referrals work now as many may discriminate and want Pro2 not Pro1.

For now, a nod to the MSP community on the marketing page would be nice. Don't have the time? Not ready to purchase your own camera? Our Network of Matterport Service Partners are here to help!

If anything, now is a perfect time to start a referral program. I am happy to scan for a realtor, teach them the platform, then get a kickback for selling a camera. It a Realtor wants to buy a camera, they will do so instead of hiring you. Being able to have a hands on demonstration and your first tour shot by a pro opens up more opportunities.

It has never been a secret that this camera is available for purchase to anyone. Best to capitalize on that fact.
Post 13 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360, your idea of a referral program is great and I know that you have been insisting on it for a long time.

Let's hope that the guys at Matterport are wise enough as to consider it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @justinv
@DanSmigrod

Yeah I would have loved to seen the video start by saying "if you are too cheap to hire it out, this camera's for you if you aren't too cheap to buy it for $4,000".

Perhaps a Member of the Community would be inspired to do a parody of the video...

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

I wish I had time to do it! You guys could see my personality instead of forum comments! Another reason not to make it, you would probably ban me from the forum!

I have always said that I reserve the snapshots for the cheapest of clients!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

While we manage clients' expectations to engage a Pro - we don't shoot stills - I 'still' had a client that asked for the stills (and we did after using PhotoUp (related discussions) to make them usable).

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman Connect (31 May 2017) Matterport unveils new 3-D camera with better 2-D capability

“This is really something that can act as a replacement for current 2-D photography solutions,” [Matterport CEO Bill] Brown said.

Source: Inman Connect
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Without any reservation, I will say that it provides a very viable option for a Realtor with a lot of free time who was previously shooting photos with his/her iPhone.

I appreciate Bill Brown's statement that it 'can act as a replacement' and fully support that statement. It infers that the Pro1 was never really an option due to the quality just NOT being good enough for them to promote it as such.

In the end, I think it all comes down to how you use the equipment you have.

Imagine a scenario where you left your SDCard or Wide Angle Lens at home. Imagine a scenario where your battery dies. Imagine that you shot a home and left out a room in your haste.

While I'm setting the bar low for the Pro2's camera use - these are all very realistic situations that even a committed DSLR photographer should appreciate.

The biggest challenge I see with the Pro2 as a camera is that in order for it to function as a camera replacement, one should use it like a camera. This means that one should position it where they would position a camera for the specific goal of creating photography.

For instance, don't put your camera on a table if you want good snapshot angles.

It is my hope that Matterport continues to support their marketing agenda and creates new photography-specific experiences such as a 'Camera' mode in Capture with live preview, and enhancements to how snapshots work.

It's my understanding that Matterport is working on technology that will automatically determine where snapshots should be taken and automatically generate these. This was teased at GSV Summit.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101425 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?