Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CADCamerasPro2

Pre order new Matterport Pro2 Camera?4680

Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
How do I access my high resolution 4K photos?

After receiving your Pro2 camera, use it to scan a space. Scanning takes about an hour for a 2000 ft2 house. After you upload it to Matterport Cloud, log into my.matterport.com, take a few snapshots through our web tool called Workshop, and download them to your computer. Now you can use them however you like!

So no printing from iPad or settings for images , they are still going backwards even if they are moving forward.
Post 26 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
Best wishes to everyone.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Shrkfin private msg quote post Address this user
None of my three cameras qualify. Such bull and once again Matterport showing complete contempt to us professionals. They want to sell this thing to Agents, they DO NOT care about selling it to us. Agents barely want to pay for a model now. I fail to see how better resolution is going to swing it. Will the new camera fix all of the insane stitching errors that exist in almost every model I see (light fixtures, railings, mirrors, etc.). You can't sell photos like that. Boo, hiss...done.
Post 28 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting I´m still of the opinion that even with the "old" MP the could provide much better 3D data. Otherwise it would not be possible to deliver a better pointcloud-file.

Nevertheless I think especially the early adaptors, we ordered 10/2015, should be better honored. $200 off is a joke.

But let´s see what happens next weekend [at IRVPA in Vienna]. Maybe there are better options available from NC Tech. You don´t need a 3D scanning if you can create 3D out of HQ images.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@mori no argument there on my side

With the 3D data I was referring to the pointcloud. The pointcloud data from the current camera is great to work with, but could improve a lot on smaller objects. Not that I foresee this happening any time soon though.

Enjoy your time in Vienna! Curious to hear about it when you return.
Post 30 IP   flag post

wlee1684 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone think that the old cameras will go for anything second-hand? It seems like matterport is still supporting them (at least, for now) and even if they stop, I found 360Verbeelding's teardown and those battery packs look expensive. Plus the 3d sensors go for at least $150 each on ebay (as much as $600 but that's new in box)
Post 31 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting / yes you are right. I´m sure Dan will post news from vienna as it happens.
Post 32 IP   flag post
TourMySpace private msg quote post Address this user
What a kick in the teeth! I ordered my camera on November 17, 2016!
Post 33 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting

Thank you for being first to spot - and publish - this news to the We Get Around Network Forum.

Here is the Newsletter Matterport sent today (31 May 2017) to its customers.

Dan

---

Post 34 IP   flag post
Gibbsboro, NJ
Radie842 private msg quote post Address this user

Missed by 1 month!
Post 35 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Moving this question from a different discussion:

Dan

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Integratedman
Well I work up this morning to find out I purchjased a camera from Matterport in Aug 2016 which today i see is a paper weight..Can someone please enlighten me here..am I over reacting?..Am I not understanding exactly what this announcement means..Does anyone at Matterport believe honestly that there is 1 Real estate agent on the face of the earth that will cut a cheque for a new system...And now I wait to be properly informed..TY
Post 36 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
I never received any complaint from any customer asking for more image quality and, on the other side, if you need professional architectural photography for a very expensive house you will need more options than what is offered by the MP wide lens, so from my point of view:

- New Matterport camera is not a "must have". It is just a new option.
- There is not a compelling reason to go running and trade-in an "old" Matterport for just $ 200
- Of course, if you are going to purchase an additional camera it would make sense to purchase the new one.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks,

I'm excited, as a field tester for the Pro2, that Matterport has finally announced the new camera. I've been dropping positive notes all over the forum about 'Matterport Firing on All Cylinders.'

The new Pro2 camera is definitely an upgrade. The camera takes much higher quality images. Color is better and images are sharper. Resulting tours use 4K tiles -- although on mobile, the difference in resolution doesn't really come into play.

Here are two shots, one from the Pro1, one from the Pro2. I think that WGA will likely compress these images to where you cannot tell a difference -- however, the difference is quite profound when zoomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasdunbar
Will there be any difference than the cameras we have at them moment? I doubt it. Surely they could not add more features that would not be available to us. That would be very bad form. Maybe some improvement in camera resolution or maybe just a marketing stunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourMySpace
What a kick in the teeth! I ordered my camera on November 17, 2016!

Call customer support immediately and ask them if they would make an exception on the trade-in program. Explain that you've had a very difficult time starting your business and feel priced out. Speak to multiple people if turned down. Matterport cannot offer EVERYONE a trade-in - but having a trade-in program with limitations is great on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Verbeelding
Hi, i really think its more a firmware updated version. just send me one i open it up and tell you everything about it. like i did with the first pro. MP added a extra GPS piece of hardware. I cant explaine the extra weight of almost 1 kilo. Maybe bigger batteries.

It has a new camera sensor in it; it's likely a different onboard computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
6 cameras to date, all under 2016. Matterport to me is now dead.

Matterport did eventually have to release a new camera. I'm sorry, but purchasing 6 cameras does come with a risk regardless of who the manufacturer is. Canon / Nikon do not offer any trade-ins -- and Matterport did reduce the price of the Pro1 for many months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
How do I access my high resolution 4K photos?

There's an update coming to Workshop where you can download directly. You no longer need to specify the image size either, all snapshots will be at max resolution from the Pro2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBasting
By the looks of the image below it seems like the improvements are mainly in the image quality. The new camera appears to be 5 seconds faster on each sweep, but is a lot heavier though. Will probably be expensive to ship..

Correct, but the 3D sensor is better now -- you can move further between scans without alignment errors. I've A/B tested the unit and found the Pro2 working fine wherein the Pro1 failed to align at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
- New Matterport camera is not a "must have". It is just a new option.
- There is not a compelling reason to go running and trade-in an "old" Matterport for just $ 200
- Of course, if you are going to purchase an additional camera it would make sense to purchase the new one.

Very apt. It's not a must have, but consider that Pros may leverage advertising that tours are shot with the Pro2.

Additionally, the Pro2's GPS should eventually lead to connectivity between 360 Views. No confirmation on that.

--

Please don't PM me. I am not answering any questions about the Pro2 beyond what I'm posting here as a response.

Matterport's fact sheet is VERY apt. I did find the new camera to be 8% faster in A/B testing. Again, image quality is much better -- higher resolution, sharper, and more color range. The OBJ files are about the same when compared (same # of vertices/triangles/etc), but benefit from better photographic textures. The new camera is noticeably heavier, there is a slight change to the look around the optics, but otherwise, it looks very much like a Pro-1.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting

I also use the Matterport mainly for AEC and use both Point Clouds and OBJ for my projects. You are saying that the 4K pictures won't have any impact on the quality of the 3D model? I would wish that at least, even if they keep the OBJ to low-poly, they couldimprove the texture quality.
Post 39 IP   flag post
SiteTour360 private msg quote post Address this user
That's technology! Looks to me like there are some pretty significant improvements in the new model. I just got my PRO1 on may 6th....but I'll get $3250 trade in value....just placed my pre-order. When you trade up, you get a refurb, but it has the same warranty as a new one.
Post 40 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
I am moving this question from another discussion here ...

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ArtisticConcepts
So, I woke up this morning to the news of a new Matterport Pro Camera with excitement and mixed feelings. We all knew it wouldn't be long before a new model was released (price drops, etc.) but the big question I am wrestling with is this:

"If I get the new camera, what will I do with the old one?"

If I want to offer consistent quality scans, there would be no reason to use the old one interchangeably with the new one(beyond using it as a backup camera).

I don't think anyone would want to offer a higher quality scan to one client and one that is sub-par to another. I curious what your thoughts are.

Is there possibly an industry that could benefit from the use of our lower resolution, GPS-less 1st gen cameras if those of us who purchased before Dec. 2016 upgrade?

I look forward to the discussion!
Post 41 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Will the built-in GPS be a necessary part of the GSV integration? Will they provide samples of the supposed new imagery that would make this worth even considering? From today onward, I will not trust one word that Matterport says.

Matterport has the worst loyalty to its past customers of any company I've ever dealt with. This is literally a swift kick in the teeth.

The only reason I'm even contemplating purchasing one of these new ones is that it would give me a momentary competitive advantage over all of the real estate agents who stupidly bought cameras, and the low-end Matterporters who wouldn't even consider upgrading.

Is there enough market in my area to sustain the growth I need to pay for this "wonder of technology"? I hope so, because I started my business about 8 months ago and now have two obsolete black cases on my hands.

Their "trade in" program is laughable.
Post 42 IP   flag post
This is my analysis:

- So far all my customers were very pleased with Matterport models' image quality
- The very basic MP's wide angle lenses are not versatile enough as to sustitute a professional DSLR camera and its high quality lenses if you need to get printing ready material.
- For website use the current image quality is good enough (I am talking about 2D photos here)
- Everything will be watched in a tiny handheld device called "smartphone" or, at best, in a bigger handheld device called "tablet", and in my opinion the current quality is very good.
- The weakest point of Matterport is its scanning speed, which was slightly improved from 36 to 31 seconds.
- The new camera is heavier (almost one kilo!)

My conclusion: it is not a "must have" and there is no reason to complaint or feel bad if you have one of the glorious and very good old ones.

It is not that you have the latest Blackberry and Steve Jobs just announced the iPhone!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistrydoc
Will the built-in GPS be a necessary part of the GSV integration?

No.

Quote:
Will they provide samples of the supposed new imagery that would make this worth even considering?

Yes.

Quote:
From today onward, I will not trust one word that Matterport says.

The spec sheet looks pretty straightforward. Dan has also been posting to the forum to consider that the recent price drop was an indicator of a new model coming out. I was shocked that they didn't annouce it at GSV Summit.

Quote:
Matterport has the worst loyalty to its past customers of any company I've ever dealt with. This is literally a swift kick in the teeth.

Would you rather that they do not offer any trade-in/buy back option? A 6 month (I believe) window is generous. They might work with you if you own multiple cameras and are very polite.

Quote:
The only reason I'm even contemplating purchasing one of these new ones is that it would give me a momentary competitive advantage over all of the real estate agents who stupidly bought cameras, and the low-end Matterporters who wouldn't even consider upgrading.

Absolutely, this creates new marketing potential!

Quote:
Is there enough market in my area to sustain the growth I need to pay for this "wonder of technology"? I hope so, because I started my business about 8 months ago and now have two obsolete black cases on my hands.

They are not obsolete. I am hoping Matterport will offer a buy-back program on older cameras too.

Quote:
Their "trade in" program is laughable.

It's quite nice for people who purchased recently. For those not served by it, especially those with multiple cameras, I would suggest contacting support, being VERY nice and finding out what they can do for you.
Post 44 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
....And another thing: Will this marvel of technology fix their stupid stitching errors, improve scanning in bright light situations or any other myriad issues that we currently work around?

Am I going to be expected to make a $4k investment every year as long as I remain an MSP?

@Metroplex - thanks for your summary above. Your analogy about DSLR models is not quite applicable here; changes in DSLR technology are more incremental and allow the owner of an older camera to at least sell it for something. I think MP just made my two cameras about worthless on the open market.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Thank you for sharing your experience with the new Matterport Pro2 Camera with the We Get Around Network Forum Community.

So much appreciated!

best,

Dan
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

@Chemistrydoc, I am not sure that you will have such "competitive advantage" over the real estate agents or any MPSP with an old camera. As I said, this is not Steve Jobs announcing the launching of a thing called iPhone for God's sake!

Besides, most of my customers are looking for price and hence we are in a market where the cost leader will win and not the differentiation leader (using Michael Porter´s words). When the market is full of customers that do not (or cannot discriminate), the best strategic option is to go after a cost advantage. Otherwise you will end up investing more in your differentiation efforts than what you can get in return.

Unless Matterport engages in a massive marketing campaign telling everybody about how good is to have a 4K image quality in a 3D interactive model, I am not sure that real estate agents and property owners will cry for your services.

People know so little about all this that even you could tell your customer that your model is running with 4K quality and they would believe it!

I insist in that Matterport has made a mistake running towards imgage quality instead of researching ways of doing their job faster.

Let´s see Matterport's system weak points (from my point of view, of course):

- Scanning time: slightly improved (just 5 seconds per scann)
- Form factor and weight: worst (900 grams heavier)
- Working on sunlight or outdoors: same
- Self hosting : same
- Downloading of 360 images: same

I would go running to purchase a new camera if they told me that the scanning time was reduced by half, because that would mean a huge improvement in productivity.

Talking about image quality when nobody was complaining and all your work will be seen in a tiny screen is not a killer business proposition from my point of view.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
Can any of the Beta Testers on this forum please post links to still images derived from this camera? I've seen snippets, but I would like to see a complete job. Does anyone have these?
Post 48 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
The more I read here about Matterport the more I hesitate from buying one. Nice to be metroplex, but if I were matterport I would have given him a free camera too.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
....And another thing: Will this marvel of technology fix their stupid stitching errors, improve scanning in bright light situations or any other myriad issues that we currently work around?

In my experience, yes it is improved. I have done a/b testing that supports this.

And I know my analogy about dslrs doesn't hit on all fronts. But what if you looked at the Pro2 as an incremental update too?

It Matterport were to support external gps via Bluetooth, you would be carrying around a lighter unit with resolution still perfect for mobile and most web uses. Many users have shared this idea and I don't see why it isn't possible.
Post 50 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A Member of the Forum wrote me this morning (31 May 2017):

Dan, I purchased a camera in December 2016. I asked when purchasing my camera if there is any chance of an upgrade in the next six months. I was told only upgrades to the software. I am at a disadvantage if other providers start in my area. I haven't re-cooped the cost of my the original investment yet. I feel cheated by this move unless, Matterport offers a nominal fee to upgrade. Thank you
[name redacted]

--

I replied, did you get that Matterport answer in writing? Or by phone from a sales person?

Dan
Post 51 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod - The 'in writing' part was my first question too. There's a chance that the person at Matterport in sales was fully unaware of the Pro2 Camera at the time.

No matter what, it's best to be kind, polite, patient and to persevere. If your camera doesn't quality, just be the best person you can be, contact multiple people in tech support / sales / etc. -- explain your situation, ask questions, and try again and again.

If Matterport offered a 12 month buy back guarantee, there would be quite a few people at 13 months trying to get an upgrade too - so it does make sense for them to establish a formal limit. I don't know, of course as it's the morning of the reveal, if Matterport will honor anyone even a DAY over the limit -- but I would like to believe that they would make exceptions within a certain range.
Post 52 IP   flag post
PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
I can't complain too much in that I've just received an email from Matterport confirming my eligibility for a £2,175 discount (up to, emphasis on!) when my nearly new (end of March, '17) Pro1 is returned directly to the US of A (why can't I return this to the UK from where it was originally purchased, the reason for my purchasing it in the UK to begin with?!) but that's not the issue, it's being offered a certified refurbished Pro2 instead of a new one when paying the extra!

I must say, I'm feeling incredibly confident at the prospect of world travel to some exceptionally serious destinations (as in one shot deals!) with a Pro2 full of certified refurbished parts!!!
Post 53 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

What do you think about the snapshots? Can you really skip the indoor photos and just use the new Matterport camera?
Post 54 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
We've just worked out that it's going to cost us nearly £5k to replace 2 cameras (one bought within the past 6 months, the other in the past 7 months) Plus we have to pay for them to be shipped back to the states (probably about £100)

Not sure if worth it? Nobody is complaining about the tour image quality as it stands. As for the pictures, they are obviously far better quality but it's not the still images that win the business.

EDITED: You get credit for the shipping back to the USA
Post 55 IP   flag post
101432 73 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?