Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17Marketing

Matterport: Please do not screw this up ...4633

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

One of the reasons that I am looking forward to publishing to Google Street View from a Matterport Spaces 3D Tour is to get away from Matterport branding.

Plus, since Google allows for the bottom of the 360º to have a logo/website/etc., I see that as an added value opportunity to include our clients' logos and websites.

I am concerned that Matterport will place the Matterport logo and website in all of our tours. Ugh!

How could that possible happen?

My sense is the internal conversations at Matterport went something like this:

Matterport Management: Look at the Matterport to Google Street View conversion and publishing service being offered by @Metroplex360 - MP2SV - It's amazing. We should do that!
Matterport Tech: Yes. We can do that. And, we can improve on it by transmitting the scan data to Google Street View to improve the walk-around experience.
Matterport Marketing: No! If we offer Google Street View, all Matterport branding goes away.
Matterport Tech: We can include the Matterport logo and website in the bottom of every scan.
Matterport Marketing: Okay, but only if we include the Matterport logo and website
Matterport Management: Okay. Let's offer Matterport to Google Street View conversion and publishing service that includes Matterport branding in the bottom.
Matterport Support: But we will receive a ton of Matterport Support tickets from Matterport Service Providers saying we want that real estate to promote our business / our clients' business
Matterport Management: Tell them, "Wow! That's a great idea and I will pass that on to the Matterport Product Development Team."

What do you think?

When Matterport offers publishing to Google Street View, will Matterport Service Providers get to decide what goes in the bottom of each scan, or will Matterport use this space to promote Matterport?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
Another reason I won't buy the camera and wait to see how the Iris 360 Pro turns out. Before anyone one says a thing I know it's not as good as MP from the samples we have seen but for me and my clients it will be good enough.

Only if I get a bunch of calls for Matterport will I even think about buying their camera they don't seem like a good company to be married to.
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

Considering how screwed is Google Street View Service nowadays, I am not even sure if I want to offer the service at all.

But following your thinking and only for the purpose of exercising our critical thinking skills, let´s say that Matterport implements this new feature in a way and at a price that is competitive. In this case, I would pay if and only if they allow me to put my own or my customer's logo in the tour. It wouldn´t make sense at all to let them put their logo if they charge us to publish (we have been there and we have complained a lot about it, so far with no results).

Either they use us for their own marketing purposes and then they let us have the tours for free, or they charge us and we decide about branding. It seems fair to me.

Anyway, the main problem with Matterport is that it is very slow to work with in large surfaces like supermarkets and such. An Iris360PRO would be a better fit for certain projects because it is quick.

When it comes to Street View there will be no "dollhouse view" (probably the main attraction of Matterport) and also most of the activity will be through tiny screens in telephones, so image quality will never be an issue, really.

For all of us who own a Matterport camera the new feature represents an opportunity, but I don´t see it as a compelling argument to convince anyone to purchase one compared to other alternatives.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm kind of thinking that Matterport were planning to offer publishing to GSV before I launched MP2SV - and that the 3D data submission was an internal conversation with Google planned long ago. That's likely why Matterport asked me to stop offering GSV Conversion services.

As @GoThru demonstrated, publishing to GSV was possible in Q1 of this year with the API. So ... I'm not sure if Matterport are waiting for the 3D data / GSV VR Ready Program.

I personally don't care if I submit to GSV and Matterport slaps a nadir patch with their branding. I'm actually proud of being a Matterport owner and photographer - so it's a stamp of certification for me. The 3D Transitions that will be possible are practically a Matterport Exclusive (NCTech in the future) -- so in the interest of Matterport continuing to grow and gain recognition, I'm on board. I would like to be credited as the photographer as it seems that this is useful for moderation and inter-operability with many other tools.

As one can import a published tour to revise on different platforms (GSV App, GoThru, Panoskin, etc.) -- I'm interested in how modifying panos (changing the orientation of the pano, removing panos) would be possible when 3D Data is in the mix.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @jfantin
Dan,
...Either they use us for their own marketing purposes and then they let us have the tours for free, or they charge us and we decide about branding. It seems fair to me.

I am okay with Matterport making it free and keeping the logo. That said, I would rather pay extra to be able to brand with our client's logo and website.

At some point, Matterport needs to treat Matterport Service Providers differently than agents and brokers. Matterport Service Providers represent potentially more Matterport Spaces than an agent that buys the camera for 10 Spaces a year and overloads Matterport Support with questions.

I could imagine that the Google Street View team is aware of - and will solve - challenges identified that can help fuel mapping the world of indoor and outdoor public spaces.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

If we were to bet, I would go with they will charge us to publish and put their logo/info on the tours. I am like @Metroplex360, I quit caring a longtime ago about the branding on every tour.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

Yes. That's likely.

That said, Matterport will likely sell fewer Cameras to Pros like @LetMe3D unless they address the wishes of the Pro community.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Unfortunately, I don't think Matterport cares about losing a few sales over the branding. They know(think) they will get more sales from their branding being plastered on everything!

Like I said in last post, it use to bother me but I honestly don't have the time to care anymore. I know my clients wouldn't like my logo everywhere, so I wouldn't be able to put mine there. I have not lost a sale to Matterport's being there either. I have been asked to remove it and I told them I had no control. They still bought the tour, so no big deal. I am sure done people would freak out and not do it but I believe they are far and few between.

If I found your site before hand, would I buy a camera knowing the TOS and Matterport's branding? I would probably not get one but being on the other side, it hasn't held me back from any sales.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinv
@DanSmigrod

If we were to bet, I would go with they will charge us to publish and put their logo/info on the tours. I am like @Metroplex360, I quit caring a longtime ago about the branding on every tour.

I will add one note -- I -do- not like -where- the branding is on Showcase though That big bar at the bottom with Matterport's logo is ugly I don't mind having a logo - just not that way! Luckily, the UI fading out thing makes it not visible most of the time ... but I'm still on the fence about the fade in/out feature too. Seems that the general consensus is people like the fading ui.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360

In a perfect world, it would not be anywhere but next best thing would be while tour is loading and then it is gone.

I do not have enough time in the day for everything, so I don't worry about it anymore. As long as I keep getting work, I am not worried about it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?