Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D Printing

3D printing from Matterport Spaces 3D Tour4562

BrettMtn private msg quote post Address this user
Had a client ask me if it was possible to make a 3-D printed model of a home from a matterport scan (with furniture removed). Has anyone done anything like this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, Yes you can. You will need the OBJ File for that. Give it to your 3D printing company. You will have to renedr it in some CAD software. Just a tip , make sure the base is thick but not too just a couple of millimeters. Also dont use a model with outside scans with plants etc, they dont print well. But must say it really looked cool and the client was impressed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
BrettMtn private msg quote post Address this user
@gerhard thank you for confirming that this is possible. Can I ask what the approximate cost wise for making the 3-D model? i've never used a 3-D printer so I don't even know what kind of ballpark cost I am looking at. Also, does the OBJ file open in CAD or does it need to be converted Somehow? Thanks for your help!
Post 3 IP   flag post
tomasdunbar private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard have you printed a model before? Can you show us a picture?

I am very interested in this as well. Would be a great option to offer architects.
Post 4 IP   flag post
FuturePhotography private msg quote post Address this user
I would be very interested in this too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
MP2FP
Floor Plans
Bangkok THA
mp2fp private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard Sounds like you´ve done this already ? Can you pretty please post a picture ? The suspense is killing me
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hi Guys, I dont have the model anymore. I will have to look in my photo stream for it. Will post it when I find it. Think it took about 6 hours to print was a small model. But it looked really cool. But its important to remeber when you do the flooring that its a bit thicker, the advice one printing company gave me. They used the Obj for it, but you can also have it converted to CAD or Sketchup and export it to the printing software. It is a bit pricey to print, but can add extra value as an extra visual add on to your existing service offering. @FuturePhotography, when are we going for that coffee its nice and cold outside.
Post 7 IP   flag post
FuturePhotography private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Gerhard. Hope you find that picture.

Next week is good with me. Yeah, I better pack my sweater
Post 8 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
It is a pretty straight forward process... My MSI GT72VR Computer comes with a built-in software that would allow me to open the OBJ and print it on one of the many compatible 3D Printer. If there's a true interest for such service, I'd be impressed. (Most real estate agent I've met so far won't even see interest in the Matterport alone) but it's definitly something possible, and accessible today.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@NicolasMorency , yes I did this for a mate of mine, that bought two Apartments next to each other. I first scanned it with Matterport. We created the virtual model in Archilogic ( new floorplan, combine the two apartments ). From Archilogic you can export the models. We then used that in the 3D printing software. So I gave him a total solution:

1. Matterport Showcase + VR
2. Still Image Edited
3. High-Quality Floor plan including 3D view (only cost like $10)
4. Archilogic Tour with editing permissions.
5. Printed replica of the new space.
6. And we did a before and after 3D Showcase.
7. Could send the OBJ and point cloud to his engineer

I packaged this for him, and he called me the other day, and sent it to his agents, he got an offer 28% more for his property.

So with one product, I created 7 new service offerings, so Matterport is only maybe 25% of my business now. The nuts and bolts are where the money lies. That's why I don't worry about realtors anymore. They can suffer trying to move their stock and lie to their customers why the listings are not selling.Its easy to get the mandate or sole mandate, but where is the footfall trough the door. And please agents dont bash me, I have owned an agency and know the way ,the thinking goes. One day they will see the light. Just don't hope it's a train.

I am trying to get hold of the images, was a couple of months back, and I don't know if his dog chewed the model. No it's not any reference to, teacher the dog ate my homework. I am waiting on his reply. Th eprinting worked out to around $60 - $80 cant remebr the exact figure. Was also almost a year ago.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard that's great! I also use the Matterport for much more than the standard virtual tour of 360 shots online... In fact, I don't use the standard solution at all. I wish we could get a better 3D model (higher poly count) on the OBJ file so I don't have to do the post-processing myself. There are many application where we could see great value in the pointcloud/RAW data alone. You should consider offering your solution if you think there is a market for it, this forum is the best place to showcase your work to the community. Good luck !
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks, @NicolasMorency the 3d printing was just a once off thing. Little pet project. The problem is with doing larger models it gets very expensive and also complex. I am not an expert on 3D printing so don't know what is possible in that industry or what new tech is out there. But for the OBJ and Point Cloud I think there are better devices out there for that application. But it's combining them all and getting usable data then it becomes useful.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101421 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?