Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17Japan

360º Video: Matterport to Google Street View4541

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

360º Video: Matterport Senior Director Product Management Kirk Stromberg, discusses Matterport to Google Street View announcement at Google Street View Summit with We Get Around Network Forum Founder Dan Smigrod on Thursday, 11 May 2017.

Hi All,

Kirk summarizes why Matterport enabling export to Google Maps matters.

Highlights

✓ Partnering with Google to export Matterport Spaces to Google Street View
✓ Clients benefit from the enormous audience that Google delivers via search
✓ Custom Matterport Space (Matterport) and reach and exposure on Google Street View
✓ Easy, Fast, Simple and Seamless to publish to Google Street View
✓ Easy as 1-2-3 no stitching, linking (constellation): Matterport does it for us
✓ Easy as 1-2-3 (confirm address, tweak alignment and press button to publish to Google Maps
✓ Matterport Pro aligns the Matterport Space to the Google Map
✓ Why care about Google Street View: reach and eye-balls of Google Street View, Maps and Search (Discovery)
✓ Matterport Pro can help improve Google Street View for clients (current)
✓ Helping Google Maps keep the world up-to-date
✓ easy, automated solution for various uses (3D, VR, Google Street View, floor plans, .pts)
✓ future-proof (such as CoreVR announcement)

My Thoughts

✓ Camera worth 10x as much as a result of this announcement
✓ Massive increase in viewership of Matterport Spaces via Google
✓ Seminal moment in the history Matterport: 10 years from now when we look back, we will say, "that was a defining moment in the history of Matterport ... because it added so much value to the eco-system."
✓ I an excited!

Dan

P.S. For all 2017 Google Street View Summit News and Discussions
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/tag/gsv17
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Glad to see Kirk Stomberg and Dan Smigrod discussing this and so glad that Kirk gave you such a wonderful Q&A!

Kirk's team has been working so hard for so long -- I've put the pieces together and it seems that they knew about the Street View API and what they would be able to do with it even BEFORE I launched my 3rd party service!

Matterport's adoption of the API is going to do just what Dan said -- publishing will be "easy, simple, fast and seamless." Even with the best tools - it's SOOOO hard to get the positioning of panos just right -- you can link things perfectly - but then the panos might not be placed on the map. Move them correctly onto the map and then the arrows aren't correct! Get both placement and pose correct at the same time quickly? Impossible!

Kirk continues this excellent message about embedding the Matterport Tour on the client's website and embedding the content on Google in order to put your best foot forward. "Publish to many venues" is a message that Kirk is stating -- which to mean means that Matterport is wanting to embrace any platform that would accomplish this. GSV is obvious -- and I hope that between the lines, Facebook is embraced in this message.

Very interesting hearing from Kirk about the exact placement of tours -- the little 'nudge' necessary to get the location ACTUALLY accurate on the map.

Matterport are firing on ALL cylinders! I cannot wait to see what they announce next? Maybe we can get some SQFT data love or other enhancements that continue to help us succeed faster with better results!

Dan - loved that you claimed this as a 'Defining Moment'. Only things I'd have loved is a shout out This was the guy to say -- "We had a solution with a 3rd party vendor..." -- and honestly, he would have had a GREAT answer as to why their solution is MUCH better for everyone (me too). Also - was this shot with your Samsung Gear 360 Camera -- or Theta? I'm thinking this wasn't Theta b/c the quality / fov / contrast looks SO GOOD.
Post 2 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I am so excited about this improvement. I have applied and hopefully get into the beta program.

@Metroplex360

How much did you charge to do this service before and what do you think is appropriate to charge a business for this service? I bought my camera when you were doing this and it got shut down before I was able to go out and get businesses on board.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@justinv - For extraction of the cube faces, rebuilding as panos, applying a present in lightroom, then uploading to Google Photos, importing to Business View in separate sets, waiting for the upload, reviewing auto-blur and auto-positioning, cleaning up arrows and fixing and properly positioning and joining constellations -- with the 40% discount offered to WGA Members, I was charging $59 for up to 50, $149 for up to 100. $300 for up to 250.

- With Matterport, I will charge by the SQFT with tiered flat rate prices available (for when the SQFT price is > than the lowest price in the next tier).
- With Street View I will ONLY offer the flat rate prices and include a free Matterport 3D Tour.

I'm preselling Google Streetview VR Ready tours right now with the promise that all tours will be published to Google with Matterport's amazing and exclusive 2D/3D publishing.

---

I'm excited that ANYTHING I've done in the past will be republished using Matterport's system and will include the 3D data!
Post 4 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

I think it is amazing that your ideas are slowly being implemented!

That was a lot of work for so little money!

I was going to do a business price list with the tour and GSV conversion included in one price. I do not want to hear them complain about you are charging me this and that!

Hopefully Matterport will give us their pricing before too long, so we can include it in our prices from the start.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@justinv Well... I cannot claim that Matterport to Street View was my idea -- Matterport was already working on it before I came out with my own service. Similarly, the amazing @GarySnyder, came out with MP2VR as a stop gap solution to provide his own CoreVR service while we were waiting around for Matterport to release what finally became CoreVR.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your efforts!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Lizzg Thank you ...

Here is the Matterport presentation at the Google Street View Summit:

Video: Matterport to Google Street View GSV17

Dan

P.S. Thanks for your patience. It will likely take me to 31 May 2017 to publish all the videos, photos, notes and commentary to the Forum about the announcements at the Google Street View Summit in Tokyo.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here is the sign-up link for the Matterport Google Street View Beta Program.

Matterport Business Listings Beta Program

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
101421 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?