Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Outdoors

Outdoor scan questions453

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Holiday to Matterport Photographers in the U.S. (I'm up in Canada, so our vacation was 3 days ago)....

Quick question: My company hasn't really experimented with outdoor scans yet, but my wife scanned a property with an outdoor pool yesterday that would've been nice to include in the scan but there was too much direct sunlight.

I'm curious, does anyone have experience scanning a location at one time of day and then coming back at another time to scan outdoors (presumably at sunset or when sun is behind clouds or buildings)?

I'm wondering if it's easy to build on to the first scan to continue building the model outdoors or if it's not worth the effort.

Also, would you call outside a separate level? (I'm thinking perhaps by doing so it would keep the floor plan view a bit tidier so that the main level walking out to the pool wouldn't include the outside area when the floor plan view was chosen).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
Check out the outdoor scan page.
Outdoor scan forum page

@DanSmigrod has a great example of doing an outdoor rooftop where he started in a shaded area and it turned to night while capturing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Chankane private msg quote post Address this user
Only luck I had doing outdoor scans involved needing a ceiling
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Seattle
kjoman private msg quote post Address this user
I've been able to successfully capture home entrances from porches with overhangs about 95% of the time. When it works, it's a great way to start the showcase. We've been having quite a lot of sunshine & extremely warm weather here in the Pacific Northwest so I've been pleased with the results I'm getting despite the light issue.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Try to time it for later afternoon, no direct sun and it should be ok.
I've done almost an entire house inside and out, including on the street. Had to stop due to lack of light, but it turned out fairly good
Post 5 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Yu should try to do outdoor scan only when the sun is going down. I did it for a resort pool area and it was better then do it under the sunlight.
Never start your model from outdoor! cheers
Post 6 IP   flag post
you guys have examples of your outdoor scans?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cindiewozniak private msg quote post Address this user
After having an issue with an outdoor scan I contacted tech support & get the following response. Lots of good tips & information that helped correct the problem I was having:

Link to completed model: http://tinyurl.com/pq5vpwe

Matterport response:

Each scan we add helps build the underlying 3D mesh the model is based upon.

All markings have an offset that protrudes back from the thin lines you see. For this reason it's best to keep trim markings back from the building's edge a bit and definitely back from any other kind of markings (like mirrors and windows). At no point should any kind of markings overlap each other.

Recommend only put trim markings where absolutely necessary and pinch and zoom to where you can really make sure they aren't touching any walls (to have the most stable 3D model.)

Distance between scans:

Please try not to scan any closer than 18" from anything, to minimize artifacts.

Open/closed:

When scanning a property some real estate agents will remove all the doors in the house first. it's not necessary, but make sure every door you mean to move through is open in every single scan that can see it because anything moving - so open, then closed, then open, etc can create a impassible barrier and affect the quality and integrity of the 3D mesh.

Avoiding sunlight, reflective surfaces, movement:

Your Matterport 3D Camera projects and reads infrared patterns to asses depth. Because of this, sunlight, reflective surfaces (and reflected sunlight)/glare,etc can affect the quality and integrity of your models. For this reason outdoor scanning is not supported. And in the Capture User Guide (below) we advise to close blinds, drapes, shades and use even internal lighting.

Because it's invisible and the camera works so well indoors it's easy to think "oh it's just a balcony" or "well there are clouds" but clouds can reflect as much or more infrared then the sun alone, and if you do outdoor scanning in the midst of your other scans - with scans relying upon one another to an extent - a whole property's work can be for not.

Therefore recommending if you decide to do outdoor scanning of any kind, to do so only at full-on dusk (the sun's disk no longer visible from any vantage point, but still available light.

I say this because sometimes people are going to attempt balconies, porches, a walk out to an in-law/granny unit/casita, or a property where the owner is keen on showing the view through their entirely glass walled living room to a reflective swimming pool just outside. In all cases, the best and in my opinion only shot at getting a relatively painless scan is to scan only at dusk and not a minute before.

Which is still no guarantee but is a best shot.

Note: If attempting any outdoor scans (1) smaller scan intervals - 4-5 feet maximum and you may have to reduce that to proceed at times. (2) do all outdoor scanning absolutely dead last, after all other scans for the property have been completed. That way if you have trouble, worst case, you could make a duplicate, delete the outdoor scans, and upload the duplicate (you aren't charged additional processing fees for uploading duplicates if you haven't added to many scans to them that it goes from being a Standard Model (3-100 scans, to a Large Model (101-200 scans).

The following are to show how invisible infrared can destroy an outdoor scan - so you'll have a healthy respect for it going in:

`1. Blackberry Farms park scanned (in partial shade) along a long path - uploaded fine, but the whole path reduced to a cluster of rings at the viewer's feet: totally unusable and unfixable.

2. Blackberry Farms park scanned (in partial shade) along a long path - uploaded fine but so completely destroyed by sun that there is no means to navigate but to go to dollhouse or floorpan (which are crazy looking!) and click on some other areas blindly): totally unusable and unfixable.

3. Blackberry Farms park scanned along a long path - only at full dusk - usable.

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Cindiewozniak Thank you for sharing. Great insight for all.

@Chankane Here's another Matterport User Group Forum thread about outdoor capture:

Matterport Pro 3D Camera - Outdoor Capture

For more Outdoor threads, please use the Forum Search box. For example, here are the results searching for: Outdoor

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
thanks for sharing, and the link!
Post 10 IP   flag post
RealEstateReadines private msg quote post Address this user
I just shot this one on the 4th and was pretty impressed how much I was able to capture outside in the late afternoon. The thick pines overhead helped a lot, but was pleasantly surprised with only a handful of scans that did not take.

Post 11 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
@RealEstateReadines - Very interesting result. I am amazed that you managed to get anything outside with this much sunlight. I have had problems indoors on days like that!
Post 12 IP   flag post
As a follow up to this outdoor scan post... has anyone gone back to a previous scan to build on with exterior photos at a later time (where lighting was better to try exterior shots)? Would this 2-step process work out okay?

I suppose you would need to have left the door to the outside open on your first scan, or could you delete the scans in a room leading to outside and then re-scan with the door open to make a pathway to outside when you come back for the later scan?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

In theory, you should be able to go back to a previous model that:

1. had the door open
2. had the door closed - try it without deleting any scans
3. had the door closed - try it with deleting scans near door

While I shot this indoor/outdoor model in the same day - and did have the doors open - I shot the inside in daylight and outside at night. It did take some effort to get the scans to connect. I recall that it might have take 30 minutes to get the first good connecting scan.

(This model would also be a good candidate for the option of deactivating the dollhouse view discussed in this Matterport User Group Forum thread.)

If you do go back and add the outdoors, please let us know what you did and the result.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Drew ... I your outdoor scan of the jet.

I wonder if your client would prefer it if you could disable the 3D Showcase view ....

@Drew Quote:
Originally Posted by @Drew
If you have a lot of extra time on hand get into scanning jets. I have over 50 hours into this project and still have a journey ahead of me. My first jet was not acceptable to my client because of the hanger in doll house view. Below is a model that I barely finished before dark. I placed the camera on the wings and next is to use a taller tripod.
Post 15 IP   flag post
would be interested in seeing an elevated pole with the matterport attached. We have one, but it's a little bit large. Something that would put the camera around 10-12 ft off the ground would be perfect.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Jamie

Ha!

I recall that my carbon pole is Series 2 upper unit from Nodal Ninja is 9 feet.

Do you want to send my your MP camera to test with?

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
I have thought about an elevated pole, but I worry about how steady it would be at that height.

What about this?

http://cheesycam.com/12-foot-super-tall-tripod-on-a-budget/
Post 18 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Haha sure thing. Fortune favours the bold
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Bill

Have you tested MP on top of a pole to get added data for dollhouse view in interiors with high ceilings?

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
It would need to be a fairly hefty tripod to support the MP weight. It's a little heavier than a standard DSLR
Post 21 IP   flag post
AdamplatinumHD private msg quote post Address this user
I shot outdoor as a test. It was @ 3-4ish on a cloudy day during Australian winter and think they look pretty good.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Capturing this outdoor deck was essential to this Matterport 3D Showcase I shot yesterday because the huge backyard is a big selling point for this Snellville, Georgia house.

I shot the outdoor deck last (when the sun was behind the house). No issues shooting or viewing).

BTW, we use the WP3D Models WordPress plug-in (by Forum Member @rpetersn) for sharing 3D Tours with our clients. Here's one of the WP3D links for this house.

Best,

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Capturing this outdoor deck was essential to this Matterport 3D Showcase I shot yesterday because the huge backyard is a big selling point for this Snellville, Georgia house.

I shot the outdoor deck last (when the sun was behind the house). No issues shooting or viewing).

BTW, we use the WP3D Models WordPress plug-in (by Forum Member @rpetersn) for sharing 3D Tours with our clients. Here's one of the WP3D links for this house.

Best,

Dan

Looks great! I like how you trimmed the deck neatly so that it looks clean in the floor plan view.

Quick question, did you "mark" the windows overlooking the deck on the main level or leave those features unmarked? what about the windows on the second level over the deck? marked or not?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Hi Matterpeeps,

What's the secret to getting outside shots so that the outdoor area doesn't come across looking like an exterior wall in the Dollhouse view?

The scans went fine and work well in the interior walkthrough but you can see what I'm talking about in the image.

Post 25 IP   flag post
What it looks like is that you have trimmed the boundary at that door/doorway. Try to just add boundaries in the building and leave the door and doorway open, trimming nothing.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
The secret i believe is adding a window where you want that to end; however, I'm not sure which scan is responsible for that window view. Figuring out which one scan captures it, that's the hard part.

one of the patio side's looks good, not so much with the other sides.

Post 27 IP   flag post
gofastpro private msg quote post Address this user
We do outdoor space quite frequently and try to only do so just before sunset (especially if a clear day). This was a fun outdoor space with a multi-level deck and gazebo

Post 28 IP   flag post
101429 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?