Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingPricingPromotion

Raise the Price of the Camera to Sell More?4487

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Dear Matterport,

Here's how you can sell more Matterport cameras by increasing the Camera pricing by $900: That's $4,500 instead of $3,600. (Reverting back to the original price!)

1. Announce price increase on 1 June and effective 1 July 2017
2. All the fence sitters – like Real Estate Broker Matt19 in the Twin Cities – would buy a Camera to save $900
3. On 1 July 2017, announce Christmas in July
A. Free: Test Drive a Matterport Camera - Engage a Matterport Pro and receive a rebate of up to $400 when you buy a Matterport Camera on or after 1 August. (Ask the Pro to watch the scanning process and post production.)
B. 1st 12 months free: Camera buyers that test drive with a Pro, receive the first 12 months of We Get Around Network Standard Membership to help them succeed faster. (The We Get Around Network already curated 40+ Member benefits to help Pros succeed faster (resulting in more processing and hosting)
C. For the discount you were planning to do – you have history of doing so – provide the Matterport Pro that did the test drive with a processing and hosting credit equal to the amount of the discount you were planning. $500 would encourage Matterport Service Providers to promote their fence sitter clients to engage them. (Imagine that! Pros leveraging your offer to get more scanning business. Now image thousands of Matterport Service Providers doing this.) So many of us are contacted by potential camera buyers pumping us for info, pricing, etc. Let's turn that into a positive. Today, you could have thousands of sales people - Matterport Pros - helping sell cameras. And, it is likely that those of us scanning are your best - and most knowledgeable sales people. We are your "sales offices" around the globe for in-person test drives.

In addition to spiking Camera sales in July 2017 – you will have a marketing strategy (other than discounting) in place to help the existing Matterport Pros:

✓ Get more business
✓ Receive a referral fee
✓ Add value - not subtract value - i our Camera investment

I could imagine that even if you like the idea - or are willing to discuss the idea at your next management meeting - the logistics – and timing may seem overwhelming. Here's the solution:

A. Announcing a price increase is the easiest part. Simply change your marketing message to price increase
B. To make it super-easy and super-fast, send potential test drives to the We Get Around Network Find a Pro Map.
C. We Get Around will administer the rebate program - FREE – including paying the referring Matterport Pro in exchange for the pre-payment of the first 12 months of We Get Around Network Standard Membership ($49/monthly) for each rebate redemption. Let us know 1 June that you are ready to more forward and we can launch the tactical rebate process 1 July. We already have processes in place that make this easy and fast to implement by leveraging automation marketing technologies that we presently use to implement the We Get Around Network Membership benefits.

While it may seems counter-intuitive to increase pricing to sell more Matterport Cameras, it's worth testing Summer 2017 – instead of a likely planned price decrease that only continues to create more "fence sitters" deciding to wait either for the next price decrease or new Camera (that a discount usually implies). You need only read the We Get Around Network Forum posts about which camera/platform to buy / buy now or wait discussions.

And, in addition to selling more Matterport Cameras sooner and jump-starting continuous Camera sales, you will help create goodwill among your installed base by:

✓ increasing business for Matterport Pros (without dictating pricing to them)
✓ increasing potential recurring clients for Pros (because the test driver decides they should engage a Pro)
✓ recognizing that Matterport Pros sell Matterport Cameras everyday - without getting paid an incentive - and now pay them the incentive from - would otherwise would have been - a price reduction
✓ increase the happiness level of Matterport Pros by increasing the value of their asset – the Matterport Camera. (Every time you reduce the price of the Matterport Pro Camera, it makes all of us early adopters twitch.

So Matterport, what do you think? Continue to discount with diminishing results or be bold, innovative and test/try something new - even if it sounds counter-intuitive?

The worst thing that happens is that you revert back to discounting the price of the Camera.

Best thing that happens? All of the above.

@Matt19 What do you think? (BTW, you should do the above test-drive regardless. I will reply to your discussion after the Google Street View Summit 10-11 May 2017 in Tokyo. Thanks for your patience.)

Best,

Dan

P.S. It's 4:30 am in Tokyo. Time to get back in bed ... ZZZZzzzzzzz....
Post 1 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Just the other day, I let Matterport know about them lowering the price and asked how low is low enough? All they are doing is driving the price of the service down.

---

What I would like to know about is you guys selling cameras cheaper almost every month? I have always heard sales have to end but yours keep going. I was on the We Get Around Network Forum a few months ago and said it is going to be like cell phone carriers. You get a free camera with a two year commitment. How low do you guys think is low enough? I understand you want to get as many out there but then the market is saturated with MSP's competing against each other.

Here is a real world example: I contacted a lead last week and they asked for prices and examples. She didn't want to talk, so it was done by email. I sent both and the next day she emailed back saying nice work but honestly the first person was cheaper. First of all, I respond to leads almost immediately and everyone always comments that was fast. Next, my prices start at $120 for less than 1000sqft. I think that is very affordable and probably on the edge of being cheap(please see comment above about MSP's having to compete against each other). After I pay for processing, that is $100 before other expenses. It isn't worth it for anything less to me, so I didn't reply.

---

I also told other Matterport Pros you have to do things different to stand out in the crowd. Just like you were saying your forum to help you succeed faster.

I cannot speak for everyone else but I know this forum has been a blessing for me!
Post 2 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
In my humble opinion the on only reason why MP lowered the price is because of the new Iris360 camera.

NCTech has no monthly fees, I can do a Pano Tour in 1/2 the time than a MP tour. Dollhaus view and all the smooth transitions great, but in all reality my clients frankly don't know the difference. I have to point it out and explain.

I can do much better overlays with the most of the pano tour software out there. I can self-host! The images are mine!

So, besides the dollhous and the transitions in can not think of a reason why MP is better if the image quality is equal or better than the MP cameras images. my 3 cents!
Post 3 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl

That might be why they are lowering process but they have been on a downward spiral since last summer.

I don't do pano tours yet but I might start. That is why I never use the 360 shots because they are worthless without being able to download them and post to Facebook or wherever. I think the doghouse is neat but I have wondered if my clients even look at it?

It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few months.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Great Post Dan... sounds like a win-win for everyone.
Post 5 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl you hit that one out of the park. I am waiting patiently for the new Iris 360 I hope for 2 of them.

In my neck of the woods no one cares to much about any of this right now so until a client shows some interest other than "thats cool" I'll stick with 360 panos tours for now for every reason you mentioned.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @justinv
@DanSmigrod

What I would like to know about is you guys selling cameras cheaper almost every month? I have always heard sales have to end but yours keep going. I was on the We Get Around Network Forum a few months ago and said it is going to be like cell phone carriers. You get a free camera with a two year commitment. How low do you guys think is low enough? I understand you want to get as many out there but then the market is saturated with MSP's competing against each other.

I also told other Matterport Pros you have to do things different to stand out in the crowd. Just like you were saying your forum to help you succeed faster.

I cannot speak for everyone else but I know this forum has been a blessing for me!

@justinv

I your idea about free camera with x years commitment. Brilliant. And, thank you for your super-kind comment about the We Get Around Network Forum.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

360º Video: NCTech Commercial Director Chris Dryden and Technical Sales Director Andrew Baddeley chat about NCTech's - coming Summer 2017 - IRIS360 Pro High Resolution Automatic Panoramic Camera with We Get Around Network Forum Founder Dan Smigrod.

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by @LetMe3D
I am waiting patiently for the new Iris 360 I hope for 2 of them.

When I mentioned the next likely Matterport "sale" (price decrease) I was thinking that would happen the day that the Iris360 Pro is for sale.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @grmngrl
In my humble opinion the on only reason why MP lowered the price is because of the new Iris360 camera.

NCTech has no monthly fees, I can do a Pano Tour in 1/2 the time than a MP tour. Dollhaus view and all the smooth transitions great, but in all reality my clients frankly don't know the difference. I have to point it out and explain.

I can do much better overlays with the most of the pano tour software out there. I can self-host! The images are mine!

So, besides the dollhous and the transitions in can not think of a reason why MP is better if the image quality is equal or better than the MP cameras images. my 3 cents!

Yup! If Matterport keeps dropping the price, professional photographers will need to compete with a different solution like iris360 Pro.

By thinking differently about pricing - as I have proposed above - Matterport can both embrace the Pro community and sell more cameras by leveraging thousands and thousands of deputized sales people: Matterport Service Providers.

Dan
Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Raise the price to USD4500.00 is a good idea.

I will suggest Matterport two solutions:

1st solution: Raise the price of Camera to USD4500.00 on Webpage. Make every current Matterport Camera owners to be his sales person. For example: if you buy 1st camera at USD4500.00(now or before), you will be distributor of Matterport. And you can get USD1000.00 refund at any next purchase through you.
We can't stop our clients to purchase Matterport Camera if they would like to do the scan themselves.
Why not we sell Matterport Camera to them and get benefit from the selling.
You can sell it at USD3999.00 to your client and get USD499.00 as your benefit. It is a win win solution.
I knew some European Specail Camera vendor doing their business like this. The refund rate to their distributor is 20%.

2nd solution: Drop the price of Camera to USD1200.00 and Raise the processing fee to USD49.00 per 100 points showcase for the first 100 showcases. And drop the processing fee to USD19.00 again from the 101th showcase.
It can lower the entering cost of people who want to take part in and expand the usage of Matterport Camera, BTW keep the profit of selling camera with processing together. The key point now is selling more and more cameras to market before other competitor enter it.
Matterport Camera still have advantages now.
But it is still hard to replace an exist "Camera A" that not good as Matterport camera because customer already pay a lot for "Camera A".
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod can you please elaborate on why professional photographers have to find solutions if the price drops.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@grmngrl

Yes. Sightseeing in Tokyo today. I can answer in about 12 hours. Thank you for your patience.

In the meantime, others may answer or discuss your question.

Thanks for your patience.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone yet seen an example of what NCTech's IRIS360 will create? It's not even a 3D camera -- the video on the site shows a room with chairs that are flattened against the wall as a flat texture.

https://www.nctechimaging.com/iris360-pro/

@grmngrl - Matterport are not lowering their price because they are scared of this camera. There is no Matterport killer out there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Has anyone yet seen an example of what NCTech's IRIS360 will create? It's not even a 3D camera -- the video on the site shows a room with chairs that are flattened against the wall as a flat texture.

https://www.nctechimaging.com/iris360-pro/

@grmngrl - Matterport are not lowering their price because they are scared of this camera. There is no Matterport killer out there.

I don't get this either: It doesn't scan like MP so furniture looks flattened and as such, it looks weird in the dollshouse view. This camera is just an updated version of their iStar camera which has been on the market for 5yrs. It's nothing new?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Again we need to really think about what do our clients see. Not us as professionals. Especially competing with other photographers. Think about that for a moment!

I always get the question after showing a MP Tour and an GSV tour "what is the difference?" It is not obvious to the untrained eye. It boils down that a photographer can achieve similar results with one camera less expensive and and where the photographer owns the imagery.

Or the other option, being a slave to MP who is allowing me to use my own imagery to their needs and not beyond that point. And you have to pay MP to do so.

NCTech= less money+ no fee+ less time to capture+ clients that are only as faithful as the money they can save

How do you plan on staying competitive if somebody can make a better price than you can because of it?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 if they are not they should be!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@grmngrl I agree with you. Currently we are slave to MP.
MP's TOS is selfish and unfair. They took all the benefit but limit photographer's rights.
That is the reason why MP camera can't be popular.
Matterport banned us to use the data, but Matterport don't know how to use them either.
They only keep them not to be used by others.

Slaves work for their master to make living only, all of them are waiting for Spartacus.

Matterport should release all the bans of the usage of all resource within Showcase.
Matterport doesn't allow photographers make copy of their works, doesn't allow photographers host their works also.
But Matterport can't keep all the data safe, all of the data on Matterport's server is very easy to be hacked.
Matterport didn't protect them properly.

The showcase is property of photographer, right? Photographer pay for them already.
If Matterport can't keep them safe let us keep them by ourselves.

Technic can not always be the reason why Matterport don't give us the result.
We already have the technic to use them better now.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@JuMP well said!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JuMP - The main complaints about Matterport that I see as valid are the inability to download panos to post to Facebook and Google Street View. We'll see Matterport address one of those on Thursday.

As to the hosting issue -- I undestand that in China the hosting is a real issue. In the rest of the world, Matterport's Amazon AWS hosting is super fast and is one of the pillars of how Matterport can deliver FAST streaming tours. If they allowed people to choose to host it themselves on budget hosting vs. their platform - you'd be seeing a LOT very slow tours and Matterport would not be perceived to have the same value.

We have the rights to use any imagery downloaded via Snapshots -- and for most of the users of Matterport -- all of the other features we discuss aren't really that important.

We do need Matterport to release SQFT / Surface Area data as that's just common sense information that is useful to the photographer. I'll keep henpecking them to death on that subject - but the official word is that they do not trust the data and don't want to mislead. My opinion on that is that the data is very good from my test and it's a measurement of TOTAL SQFT SCANNED -- and is useful as a metric for billing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Metroplex360 Yes, I know the Amazon AWS is good.
But the pay hosting should be an option not to be a must.
Maybe our clients were equipped by AWS or better cloud services already, why charge them for hosting, why not allow them select hosting methord.

People always like to have a choice, not be must.

As for the SQFT measurement, we already have tool "JuMP-ME v1.0" to do that.

Why not Matterport allow us to have these un-important features?
Does they cost Matterport a lot? Or they already be there?

Matterport must have some purpose to make them do all of these.
Matterport should open to us, all of us are fans of Matterport's brillante technology.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JuMP I cannot answer for Matterport; but I do believe that the lack of the SQFT tool is a highly contestable missing feature. I would encourage the community to organize and peaceably to everything they can to petition that Matterport simply releases the data -- and to do so by explaining why it's important to them. I know I have.

As far as keeping the hosting private on Amazon AWS -- you may not agree with me -- but I believe that it's essential their quality of business.

Matterport offer redundancy with hosting; Matterport offer the same hosting for everyone -- so it's equal speeds / consistent platform / everyone wins -- and Matterport also frequently upgrades and improves the Showcase, Workshop and other platforms that interact with our data -- and everyone wins.

There are pros and cons on both sides and I believe that Matterport do weigh both sides and look to strike the best solution that pleases their investors, employees, camera operators and the customers of camera operators.

Remember - Matterport's hosting is a large part of how they make money in order to be -ABLE- to operate their business. They are paying huge R&D Costs, development costs, investor related costs, multiple office spaces in strategic locations, sales people who attend conventions and negotiate with clients like Sotheby's, Realtor.com, etc. Without these endorsements, we would have far less opportunities as Matterport have invested countless hours of manpower into marketing their platform, fine tuning it and opening it up to audiences.

I want to close by asking everyone to think about the multimedia MatterTags. These are deceptively simple in implementation -- but there's a lot more that went into it. I made my own implementation of this using javascript injection that worked pretty well -- Matterport went ahead and utilized the embed.ly API, which costs them $, and added statistics for themselves (potentially for us down the road), and found ways to secure and best deliver content. Additionally, programming is in place to adjust the MatterTag box placement relative to the content and screen position -- all quite clever. Their solution works -- VERY WELL -- because it was well engineered, well tested, and we'll be seeing it well supported with documentation, white papers, and continued development. So to answer your question "Does they cost Matterport a lot?" -- sure. Now they need to revise and integrate the feature into all of their marketing, train their support staff, integrate it into demonstrations at trade shows, etc. -- It's not as easy as hacking javascript in your pajamas late at night to make a proof-of-concept -- it's a commitment.

--

Sorry to go on such a rant. I think I just don't see the self-hosting option as being useful -- all it really serves to do is avoid paying Matterport for subscription fees that they need to operate their business -- and lowers the overall stability and reputation of the platform as a whole while fragmenting the platform. I see it as being a negative.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@ Dan
1) I am not necessary likely to buy a Matterport unless their technology is far superior to others. I am surely not interested in paying for an overpriced camera. Raising the price will likely entice others (camera makers) to come into this market since there is high profit margin. As it currently sits I am hoping/planning to buy ½ share into a Matterport camera. Reason being is I expect the next latest and greatest to be out soon. However that may change if there is something that is a better value.
2) I think engaging a pro would be helpful to a point but at the end of the day I see that as just putting more cameras out there and creating more competition amongst MSP’s. I guess MSP’s would be able to make some money off of training but if I was Matterport I would just make the video’s in house so if user has problems just watch video XYZ.
3) I do see some value in MSP’s helping sell camera’s to a point. If this is the case I also see the point of some sort of incentive.
Sorry for the delay in replying. Had internet issues that recently got resolved.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl I completely agree with you about having to be tied to Matterport for something you created! I think you partly explained the difference between matterport and Iris...Thanks!
Post 23 IP   flag post
101635 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?