Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceNewbiesScanningScans

Over 100 scans435

AdamplatinumHD private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys

We have a pretty large mansion to shoot tomorrow and we predict it will be over 100 scans just for one level.

100 is the limit correct?
What is the best way around this problem?
If we limit the scans to one or two per room I fear it ruins the walk-through.

How have you dealt with this issue in the past?
Any ideas would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
RealEstateReadines private msg quote post Address this user
200 scans is the maximum. There are others that have done large quantities and have combined them from what I understand though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dvnprt private msg quote post Address this user
From what I have read you can go over 200 but it may not work as well..
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks guys.

Does anyone have experience of shooting over 100 or upto 200+?

We are wondering what the best plan of attack is?

How can we combine large quantities?

Thanks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Adam

I've had plenty of jobs over 100. Up to 200 is generally ok. Make sure you have enough space on your iPad as well.

I would recommend once you hit say 150, duplicate your scan and use that one to continue. Just a precaution incase the model crashes and is unrecoverable.

You can go over 200, but matterport won't support it. I've had a 290 before. The app started crashing a lot towards the end.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Adam
We have done over a hundred, just make sure to bill or bid accordingly. I just use the basic Matterport service and for me anything over my free models and everything over 100 scans, we get billed double on processing fees.

Ron
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@AdamplatinumHD

See Matterpirt User Group Forum Thread

Why I shot 300 + scans for this model + risks
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/79/why-i-shot-300-scans-for-this-model--risks/
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DanSmigod

WOW! 300+ Incredible!

Your definitely pushing the boundaries of the camera's capability. Love it.

Thanks for the ipad advice @Jamie I will back up all the old shoots and wipe for space.

Thanks again Guys.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@AdamplatinumHD

Please see this Matterport User Group Forum thread about backing up an iPad (and not deleting models from an iPad)

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/96/why-you-do-not-want-to-delete-3d-models/

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Adam

As Jamie recommended, it vital that you duplicate your job at the 150 mark as most likely you will begin to experience the app crashing around 175 scans. This is a pain in the ass and cost me at least an additional 3 hours to try and complete a 250 scan job.

What happens is the camera does it thing and then begins the transfer to your iPad which half way through the transfer the app shuts down and returns you to the iPad home screen. You have to relaunch the capture app and re-scan. Some time the second attempt works other time it crashes again. MP knows about this problem but so far they seem helpless in solving this issue.

I wrote to support stating that MP owners are being requested on a regular bases to shoot large locations and to be experiencing these type of problems is not acceptable. If we were given a warning that the camera or capture app would begin to malfunction after 175 captures some of us would have look else where for a solution.

Once the job was completed and I edited down the scans to under 200 the job played and looked fantastic but the frustration in shooting the job was a nightmare.

One other BIG ISSUE is to look out for are disappearing scans. You shot a scan and everything takes but the scan is not there and you can't shoot the next scan. What has happen is the scan has gone wondering so you need to expand the mini-map and hunt for the scan. Once you have found it you need to delete the scan.

Now go back to your last good scan move the camera closer to that scan and shoot again. If the scan takes and is where it suppose to be then proceed on to your next shot. If it has still gone wondering delete it and move the camera even closer to that last good scan. That should solve the wondering scan issue. This cost me a days shoot before I discovered this issue and this problem has cropped for other since I discover it so be forewarned.

Best of luck and happy shooting.
Gary
Post 10 IP   flag post
I did a large area recently and had major alignment issues. The app started crashing around 80 scans as well. It completely wasted a full day.
We then tried the area again with a 2nd Gen camera and it worked much better. There seems to be a significant difference between the 2 cameras.

Like Gary said, if you follow the instructions he advised, it may help. It may save you time and frustration.

This is a big problem that MP needs to resolve. Let's hope some of their new 30 million in funding goes towards this
Post 11 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Jamie,
Do you know if the difference between 1st and 2nd generation camera are hardware or software updates. Does anyone know if the camera platform allows software upgrades via Ipad or would this require us to send the camera in. We have also have been having system crash's more now than in the past. But we also noticed a difference on which Ipad we are using. We are see more crash's on Ipad Air first generation than on our Ipad Mini 3. Which Ipad are you using when you are seeing more crash's.

Ron
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hey Ron

We tried first gen on ipad air and second generation on ipad mini. So can't really rule out either there. I should have tried mixing it up to see if I could replicate the problem.

Our main problem seemed to be alignment in open spaces and mirror issues. I too have noticed more errors lately. I see to have more problems now than when I started 18 months ago. Very weird
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks @GarySynder

Will report back later today to tell you guys how we went!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I agrees with Jamie that there are far more issues with the capture app or camera as well as the SC then there were even 6 months ago. We really need some answers on what is going on with MP as these issues are costing us time and money in completing our jobs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hi

We ended up doing 118 scans over 3 levels.
It took 3 hours give or take.

We had a problem similar to @Chankane with his CM scanning because of a large mirror (we had already marked) causing confusion with the scan (we imagine) So we left that bathroom until last as it was frustrating by the end of the shoot.
Post 16 IP   flag post
[matterport]5YZG73eAWc9[/matterport]
Post 17 IP   flag post
101436 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?