Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

What mega pixel is Matterport camera?4320

tomasdunbar private msg quote post Address this user
I was asked this question last week at a meeting and I could only stare blank faced back at the client. I searched online after, on this forum and the Matterport website but could not find the answer. Can someone tell me what resolution or how many pixels the Matterport camera has?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry I don't have an answer for you. But wanted to suggest to have this line in your pocket. That is a great question, and one I have not been asked before, I'll do some digging on that and get back to you.

This does two things. First it shows that you are honest with them and that though you may not know every answer you acknowledge their question. Second it allows you to build a relationship with the client instantaneously because now they asked you to contact them for with the answer. This means more face/phone time and proves you can follow up with what you say.

Hope you find the answer and let us know!
Post 2 IP   flag post
That is exactly what I said to them. But it has nearly been a week now and still no one can give ma an answer. I have wrote to the Matterport support team also but still have not heard back. You would think it would be somewhere!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Please refer to this thread for more info.
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/4314/page/2/konami-code-found-in-geocv-viewer/#31
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@tomasdunbar I got your question and after talk about resolution with GeoCV's CEO today.
I decided to spend some more time to dig it out.

How many pixels is the key parameter of a camera.
Why Matterport don't show this information to us?

I think there are two reasons:

1st: The input resolution is not equal to output resolution. So many technical processing inside it.

Matterport Camera is combined with 3 x PrimeSense and shoot 6 times when capture a Pano, the result is calculated from 18 pcs color photos and 18 pcs depth photos, the final result is 6 pcs 2048x2048 cube maps and one OBJ mesh.
The input resolution is not equal to the output resolution.
Next time you can tell your clients that currently showcase is using the result of Matterport Camera at 6 x 2048 x 2048 that is 24Megapixels

2nd: Matterport Camera used PrimeSense that was developed many years ago. We didn't see hardware upgrade happened. So the pixel value of Matterport sensor is too small compare to today's high tech mobile phone. So it may not good for Matterport to sell its camera and photographers sell services to clients because people always think low pixels won't get good result.

Honestly I am very admire what Matterport can reach such high quality panos with Primesense sensors. It can't compete with DLSR result what GeoCV can provided. But Matterport's result is good enough and more higher than my expected for Primesense sensors.

Before I tell you what I dig out today.
I want to say I am not want to do anything to harm anyone.
I just tell the truth I found today.
And I want to show my admiration to Matterport that pull out the peak of Primesense sensors.

The ture (or real) resolution of Matterport Camera is below:

3 x Color Sensor: 3 x 1280 x 1024 x 48bits
(48bits means it is HDR)

3 x Depth Sensor: 3 x 640 x 480 x 8bits

Total input resolution of color is 18 x 1280 x 1024 with 10~20% overlap. The final value is about 7600 x 2600 for 360 degree pano.

Total depth resolution is about 3600 x 1200 for 360 degree.

That's it.

Thank you for reading!

BTW wish you can try our
free JuMP-ME v1.0 for SQFT measurement of Matterport OBJ result.

JuMP team from China
Post 5 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info and explanation,

I was under the impresion that it is 3x 3D senors, 3x color and 3x black/white ?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@JC3DCX
There looks like 3 lens but only two of them are cameras one for depth and one for color, the third lens is used for IR laser projector output.

Post 7 IP   flag post
vantasy private msg quote post Address this user
@JuMP thanks a lot for your explanation. So we can tell our client the camera is around 24 megapixel?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@vantasy I suggest two answers: one for easy client and another for who want detail.

Easy one: It is around 24Megapixel. Base on the output of 6pcs 2048 x 2048 Cube maps of current showcase result.

Detailed one: Matterport uses 3pcs RGBD sensors, each sensor include one 1.3Megapixel HDR RGB color sensor and one 0.3Megapixel Depth sensor. It will shoot 6 times for 360 degree to get 6pcs 2048 x 2048 Cube maps as result shown in current showcase. The result is around 24Megapixel totally.

It is difficult to tell how many real pixels for 360 degree pano photo now. Due to current projection methord(6 maps in cube mode or 1 map in sphere mode) can't provide same resolution to each pixel on the map.

Google released one new projection methord called Equi-Angular Cubemap(EAC) at Mar.2017. It may solve the problem. The third picture below show the result of EAC.

Googl's post here
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuMP
Honestly I am very admire what Matterport can reach such high quality panos with Primesense sensors. It can't compete with DLSR result what GeoCV can provided. But Matterport's result is good enough and more higher than my expected for Primesense sensors.

I agree 100%. And! I think that the quality is absolutely PERFECT for mobile and web streaming.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantasy
@JuMP thanks a lot for your explanation. So we can tell our client the camera is around 24 megapixel?

Since the the zenith (up) and nadir (down) are not complete... it's not quite 24 megapixels. Two of those 2048 x 2048 tiles are at least 1/2 empty data ... so why not remove 4 megapixels and call it 20?
Post 11 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360,

2048x2048 = 4 Megapixels
4 Megapixels x 6 = 24 Megapixels
applying fuzzy math for Zenith and Nadir -> 20 Megapixels
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks. Very helpful!
Post 13 IP   flag post
101636 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?