Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.objAdviceObject FileTips

Mixing Point Clouds & Desing Spaces into One4303

Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
Looking for some insight or direction on this. We have been approached by a design firm who wants to mix the point clouds produced by Matterport and combined them with 3D design data.

The plan is for us to scan a space that will be renovated and produce a point cloud. The Architect will design all the changes to the renovated area and then provide the design data to us. They want us to mix the 2 data files together so they can show clients what the space will look like before construction. This will allow changes to be made prior to construction and help reduce construction costs.

So anyone do this yet? or point us in the direction of a 3rd party that provides with service?

Thanks guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
Why do you need to mix the two formats? From what I understand, you need to provide the OBJ file or point cloud from Matterport scan to the architect. The architect will design a 3D model based on this. Now there are plenty of options to visualize this 3D model in browser or VR. This final visualization doesn't need to be merged with the Matterport scan, right?

See what @DannyBasting has done: https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/2986/page/1/matterport-scan-to-game-engine/
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman Could you provide the Point Clouds and Desing Spaces files? I would like to try.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@neeravbm Thanks for the honorable mention

@Ramblinman I also did a proof of concept that could merge current state with new. Sadly Matterport's ToS currently won't allow the extraction of panorama's.

So for now you'd need to create the panorama's with different equipment to do something like that.

Let's hope Matterport will allow for panorama extraction in the near furture.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@JuMP

We plan on scanning the property later this week. Once we have the Design files and 3D tour we'll send it your way to try.

@neeravbm, we are familiar with @DannyBasting talents! We had hoped he could work some magic!!What we hope to achieve is to have a 3D tour but showing what the renovated space will look like prior to construction. We'll keep searching and playing until we or someone comes up with something we can work with!

Cheers Thanks all!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman Thank you for your kind words.

Seems like I forgot to link to the thread I mentioned. Perhaps it can be helpfull for you in some way. So here it is.

Danny
Post 6 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
I've been working with the Point Cloud and OBJ file for the last couple weeks. For our engineering project, we now use both files for different purpose. We take advantage of the Point cloud for all the engineering, but keep the OBJ for concept review and proposal. We also had to find a way to clean up the files in order to remove/add components althought the mesh or point cloud is not as easy to work with as file from engineering specific tools such as Faro Scanner. If you need help for your project, I might be able to help. Good luck !
Post 7 IP   flag post
@juMP

We have the scan all done. The interior designer has auto-CAD files....if you give me your email, we'll dump everything into a Dropbox folder for you to try.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Ramblinman I am working on a software to automatically convert point clouds into CAD model. If you don't mind, can you share the point cloud and AutoCAD model with me as well? My dropbox email address is neeravbm@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Ramblinman Thank you, my gmail is jumpiit3d@gmail.com
Post 10 IP   flag post
ok @JuMP & @neeravbm

I finally uploaded some files to Dropbox for you to play with along with the matterport link....Have fun....any questions, just ask

Cheers!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Ramblinman Thanks for sharing! Do you have a link to the OBJ file or the .pts file from Matterport?
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Ramblinman Would you please provide your Matterport link? And what do you want to mix with?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Ramblinman Sorry, I didn't notice the Matterport showcase link in your email.
You want to show the dwg result in Matterport showcase, right?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@JuMP Yes correct... @neeravbmthe .obj file has been uploaded also...the MP link was within the email txt from Dropbox.., we'll upload it in a document just in case
Post 15 IP   flag post
qpoisson private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman

Can you also share with me the dropbox link ? I am quite interested in this task. thx.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@qpoisson yes..pls provide email address
Post 17 IP   flag post
Any of you come up with anything yet
Post 18 IP   flag post
101636 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?