Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

VR remote for device in headset?4196

Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I'd love to be able to monitor and interact with the device being used as the viewer in a VR headset. That's a lot to ask from a device that's already running a VR app, but it would be so fantastic.

I know there are apps that let you "remote control" another device, and I'm probably going to just need to try some of them out.

But I thought I'd ask here first, in case someone else has already figured it out.

Basically I'm trying to solve the problem with VR (for new users especially) that the expert showing VR to the new person can't see anything that the person with the headset is seeing. You can't tell if they are stuck in a weird menu or stuck in a corner, or what the problem is.

I've been in a museum exhibit when someone is trying to figure out the headset with a docent helping, and it's kind of sad and funny. There's the weird dialog going on between then trying to describe what they are looking at.

It would be so much easier if the VR device could broadcast (even a low res low framerate version) to another device over Bluetooth.

Any ideas?
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Good question! I am also looking for a solution for this problem.

I would like to see MP showcases working on Oculus Rift using desktop WebVR browsers. But this is not the case at the moment.

I know there is people who were successful in mirroring the (mobile) VR screen to another screen (Laptop/TV) using Google Chromecast.
Post 2 IP   flag post
benn1973 private msg quote post Address this user
So this week we worked out that you can Mirror the Samsung phone to a chrome cast device. This allow you to see exactly what they are seeing. I will be using it at a show next month.
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
I've had the same thing with users not being able to find the gallery when they first put the headset on. Would be great to see what they're seeing...

Kudos to you @benn1973
Post 4 IP   flag post
Orange, California
I just tried out screen mirroring from my Android phone to Chromecast-connected TV. It worked great!

It solves the problem of being able to see what the person with the headset on is seeing, and that's fantastic. It also lets you show that to an audience, either passers-by at an event or a large group via a video projector.

It doesn't solve the issue of needing to be able to have someone without the headset on working the menu options and switching applications and so on without taking the phone out of the headset. Maybe that could be accomplished with one of those Bluetooth VR remotes? Anybody have any experience with those? I'm reading about them but most people use them as game controllers and I'm not 100% that it would work to, for example, exit the Matterport VR tour and switch to a YouTube 360 video while the phone was in a VR headset.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer

Not exactly what you are looking for, but very, very interesting ...

vCAD Platform: convert CAD to VR and then see realtime on the screen what the user sees (can be in different cities).

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
@craigsauer that's great news that it works! Thanks for sharing as I was wondering how they do that at trade shows and it would be handy to know in a boardroom demo.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@nat_vanveen

Related We Get Around Network Forum discussion ...

Chromecast lagging

In lieu of Chromecast this morning [2 years ago] for a demo to a group of 13, I let a participant describe the experience to the group.

(I believe) the simulcast of VR Showcast Beta does not live up to the imagination of a newbie describing the experience to the group.

I stayed behind so anyone that wanted to try, could. Nearly all did.

VR is a new medium. I do not like showing it in a way than is less then a WOW, that's amazing experience.

Dan

Also Related

Chromecast+VR2+S6: frozen Picture on TV
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Ah yes very good point Dan I should consider very carefully... especially if I was presenting a pitch... yes it would be better to get buy in from the boardroom meeting attendees by allowing them the wow experience as opposed to watching a screen...

Thanks so much Dan!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Orange, California
I just received and tried out a Bluetooth remote for my phone.

This is the one I got: http://a.co/3x5pBew

(I figured I could invest $9 in trying it out.)

It's good but not perfect.

What I wanted was to be able to work the menus of the phone while someone else wears it in a VR headset and I'm mirroring the phone display to an external monitor via Chromecast.

The good news is that it basically does that.

It works best for that purpose in YouTube, watching 360 videos in VR mode. I can open/switch to the YouTube app, choose a video, put it in VR mode, pause the video, etc. Pretty much everything I want!

In the Matterport/Google Cardboard app, it is less helpful, I can use the remote to close the YouTube App and open a model in Matterport and switch it to VR mode. But once it is in VR mode, there's very little control I can make over the app, and the viewer has to do all the menu choosing in VR. I can hit the big "x" in the upper left corner to tell it I want to quit the app, but I still have to have the user confirm that we want to exit so I can go back to YouTube.

So if all you are doing is Matterport in the headset, then I'd say the remote is pretty useless. But for YouTube 360 VR videos and switching back and forth to Matteport VR, it's definitely worth the $9.

I'm doing a VR/Matterport demo at an open house next week, so I'll try out my new setup with actual new viewers. I'll report back.

One more point, I agree that showing the VR split view on a monitor is probably not the best way to show to a large group. But I think when you are trying to snag passersby, it should be a big help. And my primary goal of mirroring the screen (and using the remote) is to improve communication between me and the person wearing the headset so I can get them through the menus and into the experience as conveniently as possible.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?