Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BuyGeariPad

iPad 9.7 (2017) Vs iPad Pro Vs iPad Air 24164

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

Thinking about buying an iPad to pair with a Matterport Camera?

This is a great "compare iPads" article by Forbes (23 March 2017):

iPad 9.7 (2017) Vs iPad Pro Vs iPad Air 2 Vs iPad Mini 4: What's The Difference?

"Apple has a new iPad in town and it’s the most affordable ‘full size’ tablet the company has ever produced. Unfortunately it also resides in one of Apple’s most confusing product families making it harder than it should be to understand which model of iPad is best for you."

"So let’s break down what the tablet Apple simply named ‘iPad’ brings to the table and how it compares to both the range it replaces (the iPad Air) and its smaller (iPad Mini) and more expensive (iPad Pro) stablemates…"

Recommendation by Dan Smigrod for Matterport Scanning

✓ 9.7-inch iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + Cellular | 256GB

fastest processor (seconds count when you scan all day)
size works: the 12.9" version weighs too much and too big

Compare all Apple iPads on Apple's website here.

You will be disappointed later if you do NOT get:

✓ the most storage
✓ the fastest processor
✓ with cellular (keep your options open; even if you do not plan to use)
✓ the lightest

Which model will you buy for the first time and why? Or, which model will you upgrade to and why?

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Portage, MI
Senojev private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the posting Dan.

From all the rumors, Apple is very close to refreshing their iPad line in the next month or so. Looks like they will come out with a new 10". If you are looking to buy right now the iPad Pro 9.7 is the best option and do not hesitate to look at the Apple refurbished site. Just got $200 off a 9.7" with max storage and cellular. Apple re-cases all their refurbishments and you get the same warranty.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I totally agree. Paying $170 more just makes sense. Apple have 1 too many iPad models.

@Senojev GREAT DEAL!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I'm running the AirII at this stage and would love to upgrade to the Pro 12.9, as I use my iPad for scanning and other tasks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I have used an ipad 4th gen, ipad air 2 and a mini 3. While processor speed is important, i don't think it is the limiting component when it comes to scan speed. Using a mini 3, I just finished scanning a 2000sqft house in 63 minutes with 57 scans. Oh yeah, i also had 3 misalignments due to intense light. I am a propnent of the mini due to weight considerations. Also battery life seems better.

Just my 2 cents.
Jon
Post 5 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I was giving this a bit more thought and it occured to me that processor speed only plays a factor when the scan is aligning. The actual scan time is only dependent on the cameras processor. Also, I imagine that transfer time has little to do with ipad processor speed. If the previous statements are true, then the type of ipad has little to do with the rate at which a house can be scanned since the operator can start the next scan while the alignment of the previous scan takes place.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with you @JonJ

Wifi transfer should be the same between all iPads and camera, and the rotation speed of camera depends on the environment while scanning.

Processor speed on iPad will only be a factor for alignment in the App.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
Normally, my day to day iPad is the iPad Air 2. However, due to a broken charging cable, my iPad didn't charge over night so I borrowed my son's iPad Mini 4. Call me crazy, but I felt it processed the scans quicker than my iPad Air 2.

Personally, I'm waiting to see the new Pro offerings coming down the pipeline.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101430 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?