Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseWebGL

Gyro for Matterport showcase?4162

natcoalson private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, wondering if anyone has heard about plans or work being done to enable gyroscopic viewing on the 3D app? @metroplex360 I'd be especially interested in your thoughts on this, thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@natcoalson In theory, I could inject code for this and push API commands to the last version of Showcase that was exploitable (v2.11.11 / re: MatterPlus) -- but as with all of my experiments, it would only serve as a proof of concept that would not be ideal for production use due to:

#1) No guarantee for availability of service.
#2) Latency in loading due to the proxy being used for the service.
#3) New Matterport TOS that explicitly prohibits 100% of matterapps.com.

I'm currently working with Matterport on transitioning my efforts into efforts to support their SDK program. The only problem is that I've been a step ahead of them and there is no SDK program. There are some at Matterport that have genuinely enjoyed community projects including mine -- but it's a bit misleading and divisive.

Take a look at the Power Rangers / Krispy Kreme deal. I am not sure what happened there behind closed doors - but there's a chance that my proof of concept for MatterTags with Rich Media was part of the conversation that led to a hard coded specialized build of Showcase. That scenario would make me a little bit proud as I think that the end product was awesome and I'd feel that in some way, I may have pushed Matterport's priority list.

If I had access to an SDK and the platform was rolled out -- I'd tackle this task and have it done pretty quickly as this is not a terribly complicated thing to implement. There are javascript libraries that handle gyroscopes and simply passing that information to an SDK to change panning would not be too difficult. I will say that the in working with the internal API (last accessible through proxy/injection in Showcase v2.11.11) the panning interactions that I found were relative to the model, not relative to the user's view. A bit confusing there...

--

My end thought: Great idea.
Post 2 IP   flag post
iGuide
Product
Marketing Manager
Kitchener, Canada
Chris_iGuide private msg quote post Address this user

I once used the gyroscopic control for the iGuide to look at a large factory space that I had captured before a big renovation. While standing in the newly renovated space I could see the space on my phone as it had been before. In that scenario it was a bit like holding a window that looks back in time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
iGUIDE
Founder/CEO
Kitchener, Canada
Alex_iGuide private msg quote post Address this user
If you capture a new construction before the drywall goes up, then you can stand in a room afterwards and have X-ray vision through the drywall. We have done it with some homes, worked great - you can see all the studs and wiring behind the drywall!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
@natcoalson
Take a look at the Power Rangers / Krispy Kreme deal. I am not sure what happened there behind closed doors - but there's a chance that my proof of concept for MatterTags with Rich Media was part of the conversation that led to a hard coded specialized build of Showcase. That scenario would make me a little bit proud as I think that the end product was awesome and I'd feel that in some way, I may have pushed Matterport's priority list.

@Metroplex360

Your initiatives are absolutely showing Matterport what's possible with their own tech and causing innovation to happen sooner.

Too bad the Krispy Kreme is a one-off.

I imagine that Matterport continues to be distracted - Japan and China for example – so that the tech team doesn't get the resources it needs to focus on APIs/SDKs that will add huge value - exponential growth - to the Matterport platform.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101432 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?