Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

Should Real Estate Agents Buy a Matterport?4109

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Member of the Forum writes ...

---

I get the impression Dan that the average forum member is not happy with Realtors such as myself buying the technology to provide scans themselves, am I right?

I bought the Matterport camera so I could afford to give all my clients the same service. For instance today [15 March 2017] I listed a rental property for lease.

There is no way I could have done a $300 shoot on this property and walked away making any money. I realize that many are trying to make a career out of this, I'm trying to help my clients,

I guess it's a fine line... [name redacted]

---

How would you reply to this email?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
If you have the time to shoot, edit etc or can afford to pay an employee to do it, then good luck to you!
Post 2 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I work with a few apartment rental companies. The bigger picture is that you can attract conveniently possibly clients with out the hassle of showing the property. Question you have to ask: how much is your time worth and do you market the property sufficiently. Lets say a $300 scan/ hour showing + $60 per hour.

Meaning you can show the location 5 times and you have your money back assuming you only spend 1 hour with a client physically showing the property, including driving there and back and possible getting an " that is not quite what I was looking for" or " it did look different in the photos"
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl Excellent point!
Post 4 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
to elaborate on Real Estate Agents:

#1 a busy agent will not have the time to scan a property depends on the time ( min 1 hour)+ take photos for the MLS.

#2 only professional photographers take good photos so your property wont get over looked in the multitude of listings ( so do yourself and your clients a favor with the best photos possible)

#3 if you are that agent that represents the client in the best way possible and you are not a phototgrapher, why would you spend you money on a Matterport camera instaed of hiring a profesional that can do it all, so you can concentrate on your main objective " helping your buyers or sellers"?
Post 5 IP   flag post
davidpylyp private msg quote post Address this user
I bought the camera for myself to be a listing closer
The byproduct is doing scans for other people

I am frustrated by the "it shouldn't cost more than a hundred"
mentality that prevails in a competition environment.

I am double frustrated by vendors who are content at 10 cents per square foot.

I am not
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I think that there are enough Realtors in the world that it doesn't really affect MSPs. If anything, it will create more demand and put pressure on Realtors who do not want to buy a camera to hire msps.

I just wish I could sell cameras and provide training in a manner that was a win win.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Should? That would be for each agent to determine for themselves. I'd certainly not begrudge anyone doing so if it benefits their business. As to whether or not it is a detriment to me and my business? Absolutely not. The way for all of our businesses to thrive is for a VR tour to become a standard mainstream marketing tool seen as essential rather than what most of us pitch today- something to differentiate themselves. The only way that happens is for more cameras and tours to be out there.

Everyone and their situation is somewhat unique, however... in most cases, I'd suspect the numbers don't bear out in regards to cost in equipment/hosting and time put into learning, shooting and putting out quality tours. Probably better return for a symbiosis between MSPers and RE Agents. Let MSPers do a kickarse job at MSPing allows agents to focus on agenting- perfecting the meat/potatoes of their skillet that brings in income and enhances their business farming prospects, pitching, winning listings, doing an outstanding job at presenting/showing selling properties.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
For those of us who throw a fit when Realtors are buying cameras, this [Engel & Völkers and immoviewer] changes the equation completely.

I too have shot Matterport tours for E&V agents.

If I were to guess, E&V is promoting use of this but still leaving the door open to use of other technologies at the agents' discretion. immoviewer seems like a smart way to roll out something that can achieve parity nationwide. Might not be the same as Matterport, but you can certainly imagine Realtors running around with a Ricoh Theta S setup and getting the job done without any professional help.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here's my take on the original question.

There are two kinds of real estate agents that buy a Matterport Cameras:

1. Real Estate Agents that are photographers (or their spouse is a photographer) – they want to shoot their own listings and offer Matterport as a side business. (Many, many members of the Forum)

2. Real Estate Agents that are not photographers and just need to shoot x listings to justify the expense.

For category 1, that likely makes sense to most of us that are photographers first.

For category 2, none of us can understand why an agent would buy a camera to shoot x listings annually because it is unlikely they will stay up-to-date on all the Matterport in particular and 3rd party solutions in general.

We're not mad at agents; we're upset with Matterport for competing with us; driving the price down and have a camera in the wild that is not generating hosting and processing that a full-time Pro can.

Other thoughts?

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
101636 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?