Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceStrategy

Anyone doing business in the A/C/E market?4103

Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious if anyone is doing a fair amount of business in the Architecture/Construction/Engineering market. It seems like there could be a lot of uses for the Matterport camera in this space.

Would like some feedback as to how you have been received when pitching the service with these clients.

Thank you!

Richard
Post 1 IP   flag post
mcatino private msg quote post Address this user
@Richierichks the world is your oyster with MP. That's not the problem, being able to make a living with their camera is. Since anyone with the money can buy one and when people see that Matterport logo on everything they will get a little curious and check them out then you might be done.

Anybody that needs MP and has the money can buy a camera. Where does that leave you?
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport keeps reducing the price to do just that attract new users. But I worked for a company that did 3D scanning for several A/C/E companies that would not use Matterport because of the inaccuracies, they loved it for the documentation but would not use it past that. They also liked the cost for before and after documentation which was great for the price but preferred the 3D scanners for accuracies but did not like the price of the scan data. So if Matterport could get the conversion to point cloud better then maybe it would be in the game. But that being said several scanners are coming down in price and I think in the next year you will see 3D scanners drop under $10,000. Just my two cents.

Ron
Post 3 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
I did a few commercial 'As-built' 3D scans jobs. None of them were used due to the level of inacuracies. It was embarrassing. I have since removed the service from our business. If you do use MP make sure you have your legals in place and that you clearly define the level of accuracy.

Like above rather invest in a laser scanner and use MP for documentation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
qpoisson private msg quote post Address this user
@Marcel

Please can you share with us what level of accuracy you observed ?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@Richierichks

The pointcloud data is the only reason I invested in a Matterport camera. It speeds up my CAD work a lot. Spending less time on site for measuring, as well as less time building the CAD model.

As long as you have a disclaimer that states the measurements need to be double checked on site (which you should always have), then you should be good.

@qpoisson

When first I first got the scanner I took some laser measurements for comparison. Results where better then expected. You can check it out over here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
tomasdunbar private msg quote post Address this user
I have done quiet a lot of work with one construction company. They use my services as a way of showcasing their work but they were very excited about the possibilities of using point clouds to kick start the as build process on some projects. We did a few tests and found that the measurements was consistently 0.05% off. This was not a lot for small projects but a lot for larger one's. As a result they decided not to explore this option anymore. It's a big pity itvis not accurate and I really don't see how these point clouds are any use to us service providers (unless for personal use) as we could be held liable if they are used and mistakes are made. If a construction company purchased the camera themselves it could be something they could explore more than us and find a certain use for it on some projects.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Richierichks

Welcome to the We Get Around Network Forum. I hope it is helpful in your decision making process about which solution is right for you.

You might find this Forum post helpful:

Accuracy of Matterport Scan for Construction

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

By chance do you/We Get Around still do conversions of MP .obj files to .skp?
Post 9 IP   flag post
101429 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?