Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture 2.xCapture AppiOS

Warning: Do NOT install iOS 10.3 Wait Until4099

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A trusted colleague writes ...

Dan

---

Hi All,

Apple is currently working on another update to the iOS operating system for their devices. It went into their 3rd beta testing phase earlier this month [March 2017] so I would expect it to be released to the public sometime this month [March 2017] or early next month [April 2017]. Normally Apple releases iOS updates on a Monday.

This update is different from all of the rest of the updates you have done in the past.

Apple is changing the underlying file system. Once the update is installed on your device it will automatically convert the old file system to the new format.

You don’t have any choice and there is no way back to the previous format. For all of the testing that is being done both by Apple and the beta developers, I would expect this process to be problem free, but we all know how that goes. Somebody will have a problem and complain very loudly about it.

This is what I would like to suggest to everybody — Wait for a week or so to make sure that all of the problems have been fixed. You might even want to wait until version 10.3.1 comes out (my guess is a couple of weeks to a month after 10.3 is released). Turn off the automatic update via wifi until you are ready to do the update.

Personally I would NOT even do the update via wifi. Instead plug your device into your computer (Mac or PC) and use iTunes to perform the update.

I do this for all updates to the iOS. If you use wifi for the update normally only 200 to 300 megabytes for the update are downloaded to your device. This is what Apple thinks that your device needs. If you use iTunes to do the update the full replacement of the operating system is downloaded (something around 2 gigabytes). I been using iTunes for doing the update for years and have not had any problems other than my slow internet speed (living out it the country all I have available is satellite). My gut feeling is that people that have had problems when updating their device is because they are doing so over wifi.

In any case, make sure that you have a good current backup of your device right before you install the update. This way if something goes wrong you can restore the backup to get your device working again. I would suggest using iTunes to make the backup instead of backing up to the cloud.

I plan to update my iPad as soon as I know that iOS 10.3 has been released so I can test it out. I will probably be about a week later that I will update my iPhone.

If you are interested in learning a little more about the new file system format, check out these links:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

----
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Your thoughts on this?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Waiting a little bit before updating won´t hurt and maybe will save us a headache.

I will take the advice. It is free, doesn´t hurt and there is nothing to lose.
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for the advice, I'll take it and wait too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Just upgraded to iOS 10.3.1 and everything seems to be working ok,

No errors from Scan app / Showcase, and can access and edit all my previous scans in the scan app.
Post 5 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Myrtle Beach, SC
ArtisticConcepts private msg quote post Address this user
Based on the timing, (I know Apple denies it exists, but...) could the file structure change be in response to the "reported" Turkish Family Threat?

This is probably out there in Conspiracy Theory land, but I thought the timing was ironic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
:-) whatever the reason, as long as it works OK I am happy, :-) :-)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Without researching, I would think that Apple's update is likely in response to the recent round of Wikileaks ...

It might be wishful thinking, but I am hoping that the new file system is structured in a manner that would allow for multiple accounts on a single iOS device in the future. This is a feature that has always been lacking on iOS and has been a reason why Android devices / Chromebooks make GREAT family devices and iOS devices are best as personal devices.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
Is it "safe" to update my iPad to iOS 10.3.x now? Of course, I'll back it up first. Does anyone know how attempting to restore a previous backup will work with the new iOS file system?
Post 9 IP   flag post
PHILG private msg quote post Address this user
Any word? Safe now?
Post 10 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
I have updated about a month ago and everything works fine.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101432 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?