Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Switch from 3D-design 2 current state pano's3897

Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,

A while ago in a different thread, (I don't recall which one it was) @Metroplex360 gave me the idea to switch from a 3D designed environment, to a "current state" panorama view. This would be a great way to allow users to see the impact of a remodeling job.

While we are not allowed to use the panorama's captured with our Matterport camera, I've reached out to Matterport at the time regarding this topic. They loved the idea, but while they couldn't make any promises, they would look in to the possibility of giving me access to panoramic data and get back to me. Sadly, a few months later I still haven't heard back from them.

So I've finally decided to just go ahead and create a proof of concept. Since I don't want to breach their TOS, and this is just a proof of concept, I've created some low resolution clay renders in a spherical panorama lens in my rendering software. I've used these instead of the panorama's that we can capture with our Matterport scanner.

I've placed some spheres with inverted polygons in to my 3D scene, on the location where the panorama would be shot. I then applied the corresponding textures on to the spheres. See the image below.

After that I created the functionality that allows the user to press a button and "teleport" to the nearest panorama.

I didn't create any fancy transition system, since it's something I won't be able to offer as a service to my clients anyway, due to the TOS. I would be able to shoot the panorama's using different equipment of course, but that would mean I'd have to spend a lot more time on site, while the panorama's are already shot with the Matterport scanner.

You can see my prototype in action in the video below. As mentioned before, the panorama's are just low resolution clayrenders, but try to look past that and imagine them being actual Matterport panorama's, and with a fancy transition

Enjoy!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting

What a great way to show before and after.

Or, before and proposed.

Would your solution be helping to the BIM community too?

Thanks for showing us what's possible...

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@DanSmigrod

It definitely could as Building information models (BIM), are a great starting point for visualizations

The only requirement would be the panorama's of the "before" state.
Post 3 IP   flag post
vrly private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting, this is great stuff. Leading the way forward yet again!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I posted this elsewhere, but cross posting here since it is relevant to this post. I've created a 360 degree video that transitions back and forth between a "before" and "after" modles of the same property. I'm not using the panoramas at all, just unretouched OBJ files, so the flaws in the model are apparent.

Craig
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer

Way cool!

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@craigsauer nice job!

When I have some more time on my hands I'll look in to converting the pointcloud data in some higher resolution obj files. I didn't have much use for it myself, but your video's could realy benefit from that. I'll keep you updated.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?