Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D Showcase

My first three Matterport 3D Models!3865

matthew private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I am happy to share with you my three first models, one from each category:

A medieval Caste , a 2-floor Traditional Cafe and a 5star Hotel (Demo 3DTour)

Your feedback is mostly appreciated

Best,

Matthew
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
@matthew HOLY SMOLY! Fantastic. I really loved the medieval Castle! Did you have trouble with misaligns when shooting outside? What time of day (early morning, dusk, neither)? I really want to see Castello Rosso in person!!! KUDOS!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for your feedback Lisa

Castle was a pain in..... Several times in different days i had to reach to the mountain top Castle location by foot.
Misaligns? Yes. Due to the open areas i had to go back & forth several times and to delete scans again & again & again.. Time wasn't on my side due to the weather conditions..
About weather: Rain drops, Sunshine, Wind... (Did i miss anything?) But it was more than worthy.. I will upload in YouTube a video from the Castle which i personally took and share it in here

Best,

Matthew
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@matthew Good work.

On your cafe model I'm curious about the use of Mattertags. Is labelling all the tables for the benefit of staff or for customers? From a customer perspective I find them a bit distracting.

Also, the Intercontinental looks like a pretty nice establishment. It's too bad the middle area in the dollhouse isn't filled in. I suppose if you also scanned the main floor then that area would show up. Perhaps it would be good to disable the dollhouse view for this model until/unless that black area is filled in?
Post 4 IP   flag post
egreen5d private msg quote post Address this user
@matthew Very nice! I thoroughly enjoyed viewing your models. I do not yet have the experience or expertise to offer any suggestions so I'll leave it as I stated at the beginning: very nice!
Post 5 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
wow, well done, :-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Great experiences. Maybe they'll put the castle one in the Showcase page. It's nice to see names on those tags in the Hotel and then click a tag to move to that location even if it's far away.

I wanted to see a couple of those in VR but there is no VR icon to click. That implies that free CoreVR is gone even though they say it's free until June, or that you overrode the default settings and prevented the VR icon from showing. Help says the VR icon appears by default.
Post 7 IP   flag post
kellysuesharp private msg quote post Address this user
the castle is amazing
and that this is your first work I know how much time it must take !
The only thing I noticed is in the hotel, there is a label on the stairs for internet corner which I don't think is correct. I also agree that the multiple labels on the tables is a distraction of the beauty of the restaurant .
Keep up the good work. Now I need to make a trip from Texas to visit the castle in Italy !
Good work.
Kelly
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hi all,

@Queen_City_3D I have added matter-tags in purpose for the benefit of the clients and the cafe management and to add flexibility or another smart way of reserving the table of your choice online.
Regarding Intercontinental I was specially asked by the administration to scan a free demo and have been asked only for this floor. Therefore I didn't have to scan anything else for the time beeing.
@egreen5d @JC3DCX Thank you
@UserName Strange I see it's enabled in Castle model and it shows it clearly in my computer :/ Any ideas?
@kellysuesharp Wish you good luck with the Castle in Italy Kelly
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Hotel model doesn't have a VR icon but the others do. That's an amazing castle experience when you see it in VR. So many blue way point circles exist that we can walk all the way to the top and throughout the ruins.

The view from the castle and out towards the ocean reminds me of that popular Lands End VR game which puts you into a magical world. This photo I snapped in VR looks OK on the browser screen.

But when you're actually there, it's a totally different experience looking past the scattered ruins, past that standing structure and on out into the sea.

Great job. Check it out in VR if you have a headset. The folks in charge of the Matterport Showcase should view it too in VR.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had not viewed in VR - Thanks @UserName for bringing it up!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Wow, that was crazy; unbelievable. AWESOME!
Post 12 IP   flag post
kevshed private msg quote post Address this user
@matthew

Really good first models !

I live near a castle myself and will try a similar experiment when the weather is better. I've not yet experimented with outdoor shoots, but expect to try a few over the coming months...

Congratulations sir !

Best,
Kevin
Post 13 IP   flag post
@ Lisahinson - If you saw it in VR you experienced a treat. A narrator and even some soft background music might go great with that. Here's what happened to me after I explored the Castle ..

==
Life in a Medieval Castle: Smells, Sounds and Structure of Medieval Castle Life
"Life in a medieval castle would have been ordered and organised, full of pomp and ceremony, and also very cold and smelly!"
======

That's an excellent article about the reality of Medieval castles I found after taking the VR tour.
It seems that movies may sometimes give us false beliefs about what life was really like living in cold, dark, unsanitary castles back then. That site has pages (at the bottom) that explain everything from dungeons, Knights and moats to weapons and devices used to defend those castles.

Matthew's castle is bright and sunny because most of its walls are gone. In reality, early castles before the late 1200s had tiny windows. So inside they were dark and cold. Their stone structures didn't make them any warmer either. And, sometimes castles were also filled with smoke if they were built before people invented the fireplace.

To put the Castello Rosso castle into perspective, here's what it looks like from a distance ..

As the article explained, that hill alone provided a major line of defense for the castle Lord and defenders.

Bottom Line - Maybe years from now when VR matures, teachers will use it as learning tools where a teacher might go

"Students, put on your VR glasses because we're going to explore an ancient castle"

Little do the children know that they're about to get tricked into learning about Medieval history. They're sure to get excited about going to view a castle and will probably ask questions about what they see in VR.

That's when the teacher can begin working in her lesson plan that teaches everything from feudalism in the 13th century to the role of Kings, knights and peasants in a primitive society totally unlike our own in many ways.

I didn't plan on learning about castles today but after you've been inside one, you might have a few questions a teacher would be eager to answer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@UserName I was on a Live Radio show with the Chamber of Commerce and showed numerous people in the office the VR of the Castle. Everyone enjoyed it. (first timers with VR. Thank you for providing the link!
Post 15 IP   flag post
101428 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?