Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360videoPoint CloudsVideo

360 video from point cloud data3839

Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I've been playing around with making a 360 video from one of my Matterport tours. A client wanted something like this for a very particular job I had a few months ago, but I couldn't provide it myself or find someone else to make it for me. But now I've figured it out. I started with this ugly model that I had on hand, even though it is an ugly post-demolition house.

Since it's a 360 video, you can drag the viewpoint around a little, or just move your phone around if you are watching on a mobile device.

Since the camera viewpoint is external to the model, you can't really move around all that much (without the screen going black), but it makes it simpler to specify the camera path. I do plan to try one inside the model, though I'm worried the quality will be too poor that close up.

I'm going to make one from a prettier model soon, and will share that here, too.

It also works as a (non-360) video background for skinned model views in WP3D:

http://craigsauer3d.com/3d-model/klein-before-remodel/skinned/

I'd love any feedback you guys have.

Craig
Post 1 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Nice Craig. Did you do it in SketchUp?
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Nice work. Could you share with us something else about how you did it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Orange, California
@lisahinson and @jfantin, I have a partner who is doing the nuts and bolts of the making, but it's basically just importing the point cloud data into a 3D graphics package (I'm not sure which one they are using), specifying the camera path, and exporting a 360 video from the software.

There also some clipping being done to make the exterior walls disappear/reappear depending on where the camera is.

Craig
Post 4 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Craig,

This is an interesting application of the point cloud data, but I am failing to understand the application of this video. How are your clients using this beyond what can be seen from the Matterport dollhouse view? What advantages do your clients gain over strictly using the Matterport tour? Thank you in advance for your response.

Jon
Post 5 IP   flag post
Orange, California
@JonJ the client in question wanted something that was viewable in VR goggles that would work at a busy trade show. The normal Matterport VR tour has a (short) learning curve that would result in longer times in the headset then they'd have time for. With something like this, you can use it in VR but people can't spend 10 minutes exploring.

But this is also nice because it posts nicely to Facebook and YouTube and had the fun wow effect when viewed on a mobile device.

Craig

Craig
Post 6 IP   flag post
Craig,
Would something like this be helpful for you?

Example Model

Let me know.

Thanks,
Jon
Post 7 IP   flag post
@JonJ I noticed the Archilogic logo in the presentation. Have you placed content from point cloud data into an Archilogic model?

I am sorry for my pretty basic understanding of the use of .obj files and such, so perhaps my question sounds dumb.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin, that is a Matterport Obj file imported in to Archilogic, basically allowing the user the walk around in the model freely.

By doing so the users aren't constrained to the fixed points like in a Matterport tour, where you can only navigate to the placed where the scanner made a sweep. It doesn't have the pretty panorama's in there though, but that wasn't the point anyways.

Hope this helps
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you very much for your explanation Danny. I didn´t know that I could export an obj file into Archilogic. Is this something that is done straightforward like Menu>Import>SelectFile or does it require a special knowledge of the archilogic plattform and the software involved?

I agree with you in that it doesn´t look like the pretty images from a Matterport Model but it looks good enough for some uses as you mentioned.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
I couldn't find it myself at first. Turns out you need to drag and drop it in from your file explorer into your Archilogic screen after you created / opened a project.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks Danny.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Orange, California
That's very interesting! I also didn't realized Archilogic could utilize the point clouds in that way. It really shows you how close the Matterport point cloud data is to being photo realistic.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Do you guys know if you can add virtual objects to models like this in Archilogic? Seems like it would be very interesting to upload the model of a mostly-empty but clean and beautiful house and then virtually decorate it.

Craig
Post 14 IP   flag post
Here is an example of one I have done.
Example
Post 15 IP   flag post
David_Archilogic private msg quote post Address this user

Hi folks, Jan here, from Archilgic.
@craigsauer
@jfantin
(Both of you know me under my official name - Johannes)
You can drag and drop any OBJ files into Archilogic directly and use us as a web-Based engine for 3D work. I show the principle in the short video above with furniture OBJs, but you could do something similar with Matterport OBJs. If the spaces are relatively empty you can then furnish them using our furniture library & embed them anywhere. It is a bit of a niche usage at the moment - @JonJ & @DannyBasting are part of a handful of pioneers in this regard

If any of you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Orange, California
As promised, here's the same type of video make with a more attractive model:

I've got a 360 flythrough video for this same model processing right now and I expect to share that one tomorrow, FYI.

Craig
Post 17 IP   flag post
Orange, California
I realized I haven't shared my updated videos in this thread, so here's the latest. Compared to the one above, this one has both a flyrthough and a dollhouse turntable view, and I added panos in the flythrough to get higher resolutions views at the "pause points" in the tour.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Orange, California
This one is another interesting variation that I posted in another thread, but not here. It combines two Matterport tours, one before and after on the same property.

No panos incorporated in this one, though I may do it later. I haven't quite decided how to deal with the issue that the pano positions obviously won't line up exactly between the two versions. I might just use panos from the "after" version, since that's sort of what the video is highlighting, or alternate panos from before with panos from after. Still figuring this out.

Craig
Post 19 IP   flag post
101437 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?