Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MP2SV

Matterport WILL offer Street View | MP2SV3806

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
At a glance

#1) Google has finally unveiled it's plan to replace the "Desktop Editor" for Google Streetview that has been used for years by Google Trusted Photographers and has been preferred to the new Street View app.

#2) Google has replaced "Desktop Editor" with an API that is in beta right now.

#3) There are several partners including LCP360 and Garden Gnome Software (Pano2VR) that will offer services that will allow you to publish to Street View.

#4) I am beyond certain that Matterport is one of these partners based on conversations that I have had where the ability to submit to street view via an API was implied.

#5) I am currently reviewing options for how I can provide Street View services to my clients and as a service within the community to iGuide Operators.

---

From Google:

"On January 31, 2017, Google announced the official date that they will discontinue their legacy "Street View Editor."

As of March 31, 2017, Google the "Desktop Publishing Utility" that is used by Street View Trusted Photographers will be terminated.

"We’ve developed an API for third-party desktop publishing, streamlining your publishing workflow and enabling a nearly limitless level of customization. Already, multiple desktop applications are being prepared as successors to the Street View editor. These have been developed by third-party developers like GoThru, Garden Gnome Software, and LCP360."

--

https://gothru.co/
https://www.lcp360.com/street-view-is-coming/#photo

Garden Gnome Software (makers of Pano2VR) do not currently have any statement.

--

Selected FAQs from Google:

What does this API do? What kind of functionalities can I expect (e.g. stitching, etc.)?
The API allows you to publish 360 photos to Google Maps, along with image metadata that specifies the position, orientation, and connectivity of each 360 photo. With this API, any application can offer an interface for positioning, connecting, and uploading user-generated Street View images.

Will there be ‘See Inside’ when we publish with the app/API, and what’s going on with it?
In our previous interface design, See Inside, Street View, and Photos were represented by three distinct image buckets. This has proven to be a confusing and unnecessary distinction for our users because See Inside is often showing exterior views, Street View is often not on streets, and photos are often actually 360 photos. Thus, we are moving away from distinguishing 360 photos with the “See Inside” language and are now showcasing 360 imagery on it’s own visible tab in the photos gallery, both on mobile and on desktop.

Will I be able to select a primary image for a tour published through the API?

In the Street View editor, we could select the thumbnail, and our clients enjoy this functionality.
There is currently no ability to select a primary image when using our new generation of products, including the Street View app and Publish API. Primary (entry point) images are selected automatically using an image quality algorithm. Furthermore, the prevailing direction among our next-gen user interfaces generally negates the need for specified entry points.

--

In closing, I've reached out to Matterport. If they don't already know all of this information, then they owe me a job. Even if it's janitorial.

My main point of advocacy concerning Matterport providing publishing to Street View is this:

When I have provided Matterport to Street View conversions, I almost almost bump the Contrast +25; Vibrance +50 and usually raise the darks under levels. These settings seem to consistantly improve the imagery for publishing. I believe that Matterport would benefit from reviewing and discussing this internally and considering if their cloud based image processing could be retooled a little bit.

--

What are your thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

Yes. Seems obvious that Matterport will offer Matterport to Google Street View conversion and publishing service at the touch of button: thus, they killed your amazing, wonderful service - MP2SV (which is available to iGuide Camera System Pros).

Matterport should have allowed your service - until, at least, they offered Matterport to Google Street View service.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Thanks for the update!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Matterport should have allowed your service - until, at least, they offered Matterport to Google Street View service.

I agree! I'm a HUGE fan of competition even if I lose! Make hay while the sun shines!
Post 4 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
That would make my life so much easier.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl why?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod I am trying to save for a camera.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I shoot M4/3
Post 8 IP   flag post
clickable text
Post 9 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Having the possibility of extracting the panos from Matterport is a good thing as a matter of principle: these images are mine and I want them back!

But if you really want to work in the Google StreetView market and want to be competitive I believe that the Matterport solution is not the best one. The camera is slow and on top of that you have to pay $19 for processing (something that you don´t need to pay if you have a 360 camera or a DSLR).

But, again, I will welcome the possibility of having my panos downloaded and stored in my Dropbox.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
But if you really want to work in the Google StreetView market and want to be competitive I believe that the Matterport solution is not the best one. The camera is slow and on top of that you have to pay $19 for processing (something that you don´t need to pay if you have a 360 camera or a DSLR)

I believe that Matterport's Capture App is a huge asset to creating Street View as it allows a photographer to visually see where they have scanned and to preserve walkability (creation of scans in straight lines with turns optimized to 90 degree turns).

As someone who has shot Street View with DSLR, the time spent stitching the fisheye images and processing HDR is worth $19.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hand processing panoramic images shot with a DSLR is worth ALOT more than $19.... you would be under valuing you time and skill at that price!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Property3dNZ
Hand processing panoramic images shot with a DSLR is worth ALOT more than $19.... you would be under valuing you time and skill at that price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
As someone who has shot Street View with DSLR, the time spent stitching the fisheye images and processing HDR is worth $19.

Shooting panoramics with a DSLR is like knowing how many cows you have in your ranch by counting the number of legs and dividing by 4! Just kidding.

If you want to shoot spherical panoramics for Google StreetView as a commercial venture you need to have something faster like a multi lens camera (there are various models and in the CES more were presented).

I know that the quality is not the same, but Google quality doesn´t justify a DSLR and the work it implies, considering that the product is a commodity and the clients are not willing to pay for the difference (at least this is my experience).

With a multilens camera I can avoid the $19 processing fees (provided that Matterport doesn´t decide to charge an extra fee for the panos, or it will be more than 19)

Of course, if you don´t have another camera, then it makes sense to pay.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Property3dNZ

I was referring to Matterport's $19 pricepoint as being a better deal (for me) than manually merging and stitching HDR fisheye shots for hours.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Shooting panoramics with a DSLR is like knowing how many cows you have in your ranch by counting the number of legs and dividing by 4! Just kidding.

Boo! I have to divide my cows by 6.

Quote:
If you want to shoot spherical panoramics for Google StreetView as a commercial venture you need to have something faster like a multi lens camera (there are various models and in the CES more were presented).

I think this relates to scale really. While I might look like a turtle if I go head to head with another photographer who is outselling and outshooting me -- I'm not in an arms race with anyone.

While this may sound silly - I provide Street View to existing clients that also want Matterport Tours -- so that's easy. If I were to approach a business for Street View -- I would sell Matterport as an added value service.

Quote:
I know that the quality is not the same, but Google quality doesn´t justify a DSLR and the work it implies, considering that the product is a commodity and the clients are not willing to pay for the difference (at least this is my experience).

You are totally right. It's down to the client.

In August 2016, before Matterport asked me to stop advertising and offering Matterport to Street View conversions on mp2sv.com, I published this tour from Matterport's 1K Tiles. The 2K tiles are far sharper and superior, but were not available at the time:

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1485995014833!6m8!1m7!1s2boO867QVfAAAAQvvLGY7Q!2m2!1d33.15619047720561!2d-96.70084823310384!3f170!4f0!5f0.7820865974627469

This tour has 3 floors and used over 200 panos. I am a little self-conscious since after publishing this, I have focused on clearer navigation (reducing navigation choices to 4 arrows per pano at 90 degree intervals whenever possible). But - as a proof of concept, I think the quality is pretty darn sweet.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
While this may sound silly - I provide Street View to existing clients that also want Matterport Tours -- so that's easy. If I were to approach a business for Street View -- I would sell Matterport as an added value service.

It is not silly. I have done it too. But as I didn´t have your knowledge and skills, I had to bring my Iris360 and ask my partner to start shooting the panos in one floor while I was shooting with the Matterport in another.

For these cases where the customer is interested in a Matterport model and a StreetView, then this possibility of extracting and using the panos would be fantastic.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Where did the post from JuMP go? Was it deleted @DanSmigrod?
Post 17 IP   flag post
101428 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?